How to Test Glow Plugs While in Place

Baslin

Member III
Injectors and glow plugs

Just yesterday I replaced all 4 Injectors and glow plugs on my Universal 5432. I started and 7:45am and was done by 11:30 am. It’s fairly easy with all the right tools. I removed the intake manifold as it makes the job much much easier. I bought 4 brand new injectors from the local kubota dealer for $255 total. That also came with all new return hoses and the copper crush washer for the seat of the injector. New glow plugs from kubota for $7 bucks a piece. I highly recommend putting anti seize on the threads of the glow plugs and on the injectors. Be sure not to test your strength when tightening the glow plugs, as you can break them off.... you can check the glow plugs with an ohm meter. Should register around 1.6 ohms.....if you remove the high pressure fuel lines and have to bleed, I just set the throttle to 3/4 open while cranking and bleeding each injector one at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Maybe Tom Metzger has a way to test a glow plug without removing it.

Sure he does. So does Baslin, and he has done it. You measure them with an ohmmeter with the glow plugs cold. The wires and jumpers must be removed from the plugs to do the measurement. Put one lead of the ohmmeter on a ground point on the engine and the other lead on a second ground point to test the ground point. Having a good ground connection put the second lead on the glow plug stud. You should read a low value of resistance, Baslin says approximately1.6 ohms which is reasonable. The important thing is that all of the plugs read about the same value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baslin

Member III
1.6 ohms is what the new glow plugs read new out of the box.....the old ones ranged from 1.6 to 2.4 ohms so most likely they were still good.