Ericson Rendezvous 2005

Steve Swann

Member III
Let's make a decision soon, Folks!

We stayed in Port Townsend last summer on "Seahorse" and felt the Marina on Pt. Hudson was a good value, neighborly and quiet at night, with a lift, and a couple of parts stores (valuable sites for us inland sailors!). There are restaurants, showers, and toilets. It isn't as handy as the main marina, but Pt. Hudson is still walkable into town. There are also some mooring balls located near the Ferry pier, as I recall. I think all of the location choices presented in this Forum will start to fill up very soon and we'll need to make a decision quickly now; especially with 22 +/- boats vying for spots. There is also a nice RV park on the beach at Pt. Hudson and some nice B&B's all within walking distance of everything.

Ft. Warden State Park is an option for accommodations, but it is a really long walk to town or the Marina from there. There is also the Swan Hotel (no relation, folks!) and they also own another hotel that is proximal to town, and there are more nearby.

I'll vote for Port Townsend. We can always fill in with more information about the full gamut of services once we make a location decision - and this should be the number one priority right now.

Steve Swann
Boise

PS Bring your crab traps - crabbing was excellent!

wurzner

Member III
Have a Call to Pt Townsend-Will Advise

I left a message for moorgae availability and reservation requirements for Pt Hudson. I'll respond back to the list as soon as I hear back.

Shaun

Steve Swann

Member III
More web sites for Port Townsend

Here are more sites given to me for you all to peruse:

http://www.nwboat.com/pointhudson/

http://www.switchboard.com/ (you can query this by town, state, and distance from destination.)

Fort Warden: http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Fort Worden&pageno=1

And, for the traditionalists who like the telephone, I haven't forgotten you, either: :egrin:

The Hotel adjacent to the marina with its "memorable name" is the Swan Hotel; (360-385-1718); affiliated B&B Bishop Victorian Guest Suites (360-385-6122). It's about a block or two from the marina, campground, Water Street, etc. For you Bookworms, Water Street is the home of the wonderful James Bookstore.

Steve Swann
Seahorse
E25 Boise

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Ericson Rendezvous 2005-Pt Hudson has reserved 20+ Slips

I just reserved (tentatively) 20 slips at Port Hudson Marina in Pt Townsend for June 17th and 18th. I spoke with Rhonda and told her I would be back in touch by next Tuesday to confirm based on responses from the list. They just opened up their "block" reservations for the summer and figured I'd better move on it since I had her on the phone. If we decide that's the spot, the reservations is under Ericson Rendez Vous with me as the contact person. I would suggest Stuart take the helm as cruise coordinator once we confirm that's the spot to maintain continuity to ensure previous participant participation. Stuart, I don't mind doing if you feel I'm trying to dump it on you, it's just I'm not known within the Ericson community and want to ensure we have the maximum participants.

So, the million dollar question is, how do we all agree that this is where we want to go? We have a few days to figure it out so this is far from locked in place, but at least we have a good starting point. I think Pt Hudson is both logistically and geographically favorable, but then so are a lot of othe locations.

Let see some email responses agreeing or floating alternate options.

regards
:cheers: :cheers:
Shaun Wurzner
E32 #523
S/V Cardiac A Rest
Everett. WA
:cheers: :cheers:

Steve Swann

Member III
A de Facto Decision Has Been Made

Shaun,

I think the fact that you've stepped up to the plate for all of us is what this goup needed. You've made THE REQUISITE DECISION - and it is a good option, in my estimation. And, I don't see anyone else going this far out on a limb to give us all a spot for the summer rendevous. Kudos.

Now, let's all support what you've initiated and collectively make this year a successful event!

Steve Swann

Stuart

Member II
Rendezvous 2005

Hi All

We drove to Port Townsend to purchase our E-31 Independence last June, cool place but I no nothing about moorage and marina facilities in that area. If we chose to go there I would appreciate it if someone who knows the area to look after bookings.
The replies I have had to date from last years participants are in support of Sidney for the most part, most not caring if we go back to Poets Cove.
I have 30 slips reserved at Poets cove, 30 slips on hold at Sidney and as I now understand we have 20 in Port Townsend.
I will email the list of attendees from last year and ask for a vote between Port Townsend and Sidney by Sunday night so we can make a decision where to have the Rendezvous this year.
Cheers
Stuart MacKenzie

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Pt. Hudson - Good, but what about overflow?

Stuart said:
Hi All

We drove to Port Townsend to purchase our E-31 Independence last June, cool place but I no nothing about moorage and marina facilities in that area. If we chose to go there I would appreciate it if someone who knows the area to look after bookings.
The replies I have had to date from last years participants are in support of Sidney for the most part, most not caring if we go back to Poets Cove.
I have 30 slips reserved at Poets cove, 30 slips on hold at Sidney and as I now understand we have 20 in Port Townsend.
I will email the list of attendees from last year and ask for a vote between Port Townsend and Sidney by Sunday night so we can make a decision where to have the Rendezvous this year.
Cheers
Stuart MacKenzie

Sounds like you could use a poll on this one... I'll add another thread and put it in...

Also - one question:

If only 20 slips have been secured, won't that create a shortage (there were 24 boats last time, if I recall)? Can more slips be secured? What about overflow? :confused:

//sse

Stuart

Member II
Rendezvous 2005

Hi All

The vote is in, looks like we will be going to Port Townsend. :) I will cancell our resevations at Poets Cove and Port Sidney.
Shaun, perhaps you could email me or post the contact info for booking slips at Port HUdson Marina and I will send out a notice to everyone on my email list. Is it possible for you to put more slips on hold?
Last year I reserved a bank of slips but individuals booked them direct with the marinia office, it was an easy way to do things.
I am looking forward to the sail to Port Townsend, something we have talked about but never had the motivation to do, we are now motivated!
Any one in the area that wants to help organize things and prizes please let me know, I think we will need to canvas some local shops for support and stuff.

Cheers to all
Stuart MacKenzie
stuartm@pureresults.com

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Port Townsend

If we're having it in Port Townsend, I guess that makes me the local. Let me know if anyone need help or suggestions for arrangements in town here.

Of the two marinas in town, Point Hudson will probably be the easiest for everyone. It is closer to the downtown area than the PT marina although the facilities are a little more limited.

There is also plenty of room to anchor out along the waterfront with pretty good bottom. Also there are State Park mooring buoys at Fort Worden, Fort Townsend Park, and in Mystery bay.

Hope my travel schedule lets me actually be here this time. Never been able to make one of these yet.

Kevin Wright
s/v Wright Off
Port Townsend

wurzner

Member III
Pacific NW Rendezvous 2005 - PT Hudson in Port Townsend Contact Information for Moor

Thanks to all who have contributed to pulling the
Pacific NW Ericson 05 Rendez Vous together. Special
thanks goes out to Stuart and Sean for their
relentless support of Ericson related activities
including the website and promoting activities. That
being said, it looks like this years meeting will take
place at Port Hudson Marina located in Pt. Townsend,
WA. During the discovery phase related to isolating a
location, 3 locations were contacted including Poet's
Cove and the Port of Sydney. My conversation with
Rhonda at Pt Hudson resulted in approximately 30 slips
being reserved for our event. Based on this number,
my concern is more related to us making use of the
slips opposed to having sufficient space. I believe
you can cancel a month out and not be charged, so I
would encourage those who are likely to attend to book
a slip ASAP to help the port maximize the use of their
space. You can contact Rhonda at Rhonda@portofpt.com
and mention the Ericson Rendez Vous of June 17-18th.

With respect to activities during the meeting, perhaps
it would be nice to have a short Ericson Open Race or
two as an afternoon activity. I will be leaving
notices on the Ericson's in our Marina that are close
to my slip and would like to encourage other owners to
pass the word. I'm not sure what the historical
turnout has been, but it would be great to fill all
the slips! In addition, PT Hudson has a linear dock
that they do not reserve that can accommodate many
more boats. For those from out of the area, this is
the same marina that hosts what I believe is the
largest wood boat festival in the US. If I'm wrong
about this, I apologize in advance. What I can say is
it's a large regional event that is well received
each year.

I'm passing this on to the various the list I'm aware
of, but would appreciate it if the viewing members
could help pass the word as well.

thanks
:cheers:
Shaun Wurzner
S/V Cardiac A Rest
Ericson 32 #523
:cheers:

PT Hudson Contact Information

Moorage Office
2601 Washington Street
PO Box 1180
Port Townsend, WA 98368
(360) 385-2355 or (800) 228-2803
Rhonda@portofpt.com
Provide boat length and beam.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
What about... shirts?

Ok - I hate to mention this, as it will cause a flurry of discusssion - but what about shirts (or better yet - fleece pullovers with zip-up turtlenecks)? Is anyone talking about this yet? Designs?

//sse

Stuart

Member II
rendezvous 2005

Hi Sean

I have the art work for last years T shirts; we also did a vest that was reversible, fleece on one side and a waterproof gortex like fabric on the other side. The art work was embroidered on, I might suggest changing the sailboat for either the Ericson logo or “2005”, I was also thinking of adding this on the back ot the T, just screened or printed. I think I found this on the PNW list:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, penniless, shouting
"Woo-Hoo......what a sail!"

Below is the crest we put on the shirts. Well I tried, it wouldnt post.

The T were about 20.00 and I think the vests were 80.00.
Cheers
Stuart

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Stuart said:
Hi Sean

I have the art work for last years T shirts; we also did a vest that was reversible, fleece on one side and a waterproof gortex like fabric on the other side. The art work was embroidered on, I might suggest changing the sailboat for either the Ericson logo or “2005”, I was also thinking of adding this on the back ot the T, just screened or printed. I think I found this on the PNW list:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, penniless, shouting
"Woo-Hoo......what a sail!"

Below is the crest we put on the shirts. Well I tried, it wouldnt post.

The T were about 20.00 and I think the vests were 80.00.
Cheers
Stuart

Huh - can you upload a copy of the graphic to the ftp site so I can see what it looks like (we're trying to decide if we'll buy or not)? It's:

ftp://ftp.ericsonyachts.org/incoming/

Just drop it in the incoming folder (you'll be in it with the address above) and let me know.

Thanks,
//sse

wurzner

Member III
PNW Rendez Vous-Brian Toss Keynote Presentation (Maybe)

I attended the Boat Show in Seattle yesterday and had the opportunity to meet and talk with Brian Toss. He has performed seminars at our sailing association in the past, but normally charges a fee. Since Pt Townsend is his home base, I asked if he would entertain dropping by for a presentation. He said he would certainly entertain attending and providing a seminar/presentation on rigging pro bono if we had a decent audience. I told him we were hoping for 30 plus boats that hit his target demographic (boats older than 10 years). That being the case, it important to register for a slip. Once the numbers are sufficient, I will contact him again to confirm his availability. Once again, this is not a "done deal" since he didn't have his appointment calender with him. I would like to contact him next week at the latest, but will be checking with the port to verify how many have signed up. I will forward this email to Ericsonyachts.org and our regional Ericson Group as well to make sure we have maximum visibility and hopefully responses to the marina. It'd be nice to have Brian attend. I did say we'd fill him up with an assortment of dishes and beverages that I'm sure will be in abundance.

Thanks and pass this on.

Shaun

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I thought this nifty-sounding event would be scheduled for a weekend, i.e. Saturday and Sunday.
Per my calendar, June 17/18 is Friday and Saturday. Is that correct?
That means taking Friday off of work.
Or, is my '05 calendar incorrect?

Loren

Stuart

Member II
Rendezvous 2005

Loren, you are correct, It should be the weekend. June 18th and 19th. Thanks!
Cheers
Stuart

wurzner

Member III
Rendez Vous Dates-Clarification

Loren,

The dates I posted were with respect to the days slips have been reserved. In my case, I most likely won't make it to the Marina until mid to late Friday evening and leaving Sunday afternoon. Stuart, thanks for clarifying that and I appologize if my email was misleading. I guess I'd be buying lots of drinks if folks showed up and nowone was there! Gord, great banner.
:eek: Shaun :eek: