Ericson Rendezvous 2005

Stuart

Member II
:egrin:
Hi All
It is that time of year when I start thinking of next summers sailing, and most importantly, the next Gathering of the Vikings! I hope some of you saw the write up in Pacific Yachting December issue of the 2004 rendezvous.
Last year while at Poets Cove we booked 30 slips for this year, I have just been told that they also have booked the Jeanneau rendezvous for the same weekend again this year. We are again being asked to go to the breakwater or double up as we did last year. They have not yet re done the docks to accomadate groups so there will be no space on the docks for our dinner etc. except for the two picnic tables at the gas dock.
So my QUESTION IS..... should we consider moving to Port Sidney Marina or stay at Poets Cove?????? Port Sidney has several advantages, big tent area with tables and chairs (we rent), inexpensive hotels, shopping, pubs, customs dock and......
Disadvantages being no pool and not as nice a setting.
PLEASE respond with your thoughts for all to see, we are booked at both places untill January 10th 2005, then a decision need to be made.
Any thoughts or input for the 2005 rendezvous would be greatly appricated, should we consider a different location each year?
Cheers to all
Stuart MacKenzie
stuartm@pureresults.com

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Stuart,

first off, Season's Greetings and a wish for a happy and peaceful New Year for you and your family. We had a great time at the rendezvous in 2004 and look forward to next year's version. I love the setting at Poet's cove and enjoy Port Sidney marina, but, I have another plan.....
Since we all have boats (most all of us that is!) how about using those devices attached to chain and rode, and anchoring out at Poet's Cove. We can still access the dock for privisioning (wine, beer, etc.) but could use our tenders to do the "meet and greet" thing. It would make for a lot of interesting times. The anchorage in Bedwell Harbor is large enough to fit a group 10 times our size and those who really want to tie up to a dock, could still do so.

Gord Bell

Member II
If they could put us all together at Sydney, then I think that would be a good place to go. Either way I will still be going.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Would Sydney be better for us land-cruisers, driving in? Inexpensive motels, maybe?

Loren in PDX
:D

Stuart

Member II
Hi Loren
Yes, The marina is located within walking distance to several hotels/motels that are in the 80.00 CDN range per night. There is one about 3 blocks away on the waterfront I have stayed at several times, I think it was 89.00 CDN per night.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Stuart said:
Hi Loren
Yes, The marina is located within walking distance to several hotels/motels that are in the 80.00 CDN range per night. There is one about 3 blocks away on the waterfront I have stayed at several times, I think it was 89.00 CDN per night.

I used to have this friend from NYC - who was always saying '...if it's cheap, it's for me!'. If you can put the event close to some reasonable accomodations (and as kind as people have been offering us berths, I really don't think you would want me snoring on your boat :D ), then I can assure you that Meeta and I will be there this summer.

Sydney sounds like a good alternative - or somewhere smaller near Sydney that has road access to more hotels, etc. If you do that you'll get your 22+ boats again - plus a bunch of us pathetic 'road-types'.

//sse

wurzner

Member III
Ericson Rendez Vous 2005

Stuart and all,

First off, Aloha and happy new year from Maui! In response to the Rendez vous, I REALLY like Poet's Cove having spent some time there in September in the midst of a 17 day journey around the Islands and Sidney and Victoria. I can cerntainly appreciate the position that Sean and Loren present with respect to being landlocked and the logistics of visiting Sidney versus Poet's Cove. Per an email last year, I suggested possibly going to English Bay or Roche Harbor as an alternate if a pool is required to keep the kids occupied (ok, me too!). I also think Sidney one of the nicest marina's I have visited in recent times. Despite this, I would like to consider Friday Harbor (easy access from land and reasonable hotel rates if booked in advance as a more picturesque destination or perhaps Victoria. Per an earlier email, there is also a bay on the way to Bourchard Gardens (sorry, I'm originally from Quebec and I know this is the french spelling and incorrect) that might be the best compromise. We could all be on the hook and have dinners on board and shuttle folks back to land at the close of the evening.

Just food for thought, but a small facility like Poet's Cove or similiar setting would be a nice change from my normal mooring at Everett (1400 slips). Ultimately, we need to accomodate Sean and Loren due to their passionate support of the group.

Just food for thought and I look forward to whatever decision is made.

Happy New Year,

Shaun
S/V Cardiac A Rest
E-32 1977
Everett, WA

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
wurzner said:
..Ultimately, we need to accomodate Sean and Loren due to their passionate support of the group.

Oh my...you sound like my mother! :p

You guys PLEASE don't base such a decision on us poor boat-less people. How about some place that is kind of a combination of both? Somewhere that is small and quiet and pretty - but is still linked to the land so we can drive to hotels at the end of the night, etc? No offense meant, but I don't think Friday Harbor is a really good idea....it's like Grand Central Station - with tons of Bayliners!

Poet's cove is pretty - but the inn there charges US$200 a night - making the weekend close to $500-$600 in cost... Of course - that was only at Poet's Cove. Does anyone know of any of the other b&bs on the island? Are they all that expensive?

That's my $0.02... :soapbox: I shall remain quiet now - if just for awhile!

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am votin' with Sean on this....
:rolleyes:

The main focus should be on pleasing the floating participants.

Loren in PDX

wurzner

Member III
Brentwood Bay-That's the spot

Thom nailed it. that's the spot I was thinking of. Brentwood Bay for me since I've always wanted to go there and I believe it fullfills the criteria that other's have forwarded.

Thom, where in everett are you. I'm on B25 south.

thanks
shaun

Steve Swann

Member III
You guys decide

We're planning to attend wherever you folks decide. It is all beautiful up there and all I need is a place to launch that has a lift.

Steve

Displaced by whom? Isn't "Jeanneau" FRENCH? Geez! :egrin:

Gary Morrison

2005 Gathering of the Vikings

Hi Stuart and Happy New Year. Thanks for again picking up the ball on behalf of all us Ericson owners to organize a rendezvous. Regarding location, I would much prefer a site where we can all moor together as a group and have a suitable area for socializing and events ... that's the whole point of the rendezvous, after all. The breakwater at Poet's Cove would thus suit (IF the weather is decent), and additionally give people the option to anchor out for privacy or cost savings, but I don't think Poet's Cove is good value for a rendezvous (expensive on the breakwater for what you get, and the pool is pretty much irrelevant for a rendezvous); the shore accommodation is expensive for land-bound participants; and why should we play second fiddle to the Jeauneau group. Port Sidney is probably a better option, except no anchor-out option. Have you considered some of the other popular sites for rendezvous (e.g. Telegraph, Silva?)

Cheers, Gary and Vicki Morrison S/V Angeyja

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
wurzner said:
Thom nailed it. that's the spot I was thinking of. Brentwood Bay for me since I've always wanted to go there and I believe it fullfills the criteria that other's have forwarded.

Thom, where in everett are you. I'm on B25 south.

thanks
shaun

Where is Brentwood Bay?

//sse

wurzner

Member III
Brentwood Bay and other locations to consider

Sean,

Brentwood Bay is south west of Sidney. To access it, you go north of Sidney and then head in to Saanich Inlet. If you've ever been the Butchart Garden's, it's the inlet you see west of their grounds. Never been there but it's on the list. There are a few Marina's back there (Brentwood Bay is similiar to Poet's Cove and likely priced accordlingly). Definately a spot I would encourage folks considering the summer NW Rendez Vous to consider. Another location that might be interesting would be John Wayne Marina in Sequim and Port Hudson Marina in PT.Townsend. Both offer parks with BBQ facilities and local accomodations for lodging. John Wayne is also a good location for Moorage with a nice breakwater at the entrance to the bay.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since attendees by water have one vote, and those by land a half vote...
I cast my half vote for Pt Townsend (or nearby).

Speaking of that area, does anyone know if they still have the little harbor and docks at/near Fort Warden State Park? We stayed there in one of the officers apartments that the Parks folks rent out, when we participated in the Ranger 20 Nationals held there in '79. Lovely and historic facility.

Just a thought.....

Loren in PDX
[neither an officer nor a gentleman]

Stuart

Member II
Brentwood Bay

Hi Sean

Brentwood Bay is located about 2/3rds of the way down the Saanich Inlet, SW of Sidney on the same spit of land as Sidney but the opposite side. I have looked at it and might be an interesting place, somewhere we have wanted to go for years but never have. I will do some more research on Brentwood Bay as a place for the Rendezvous.
Any other comments on Brentwood Bay?
Cheers
Stuart

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Sean,

Brentwood Bay is on the "back side" of the Saanich Peninsula, which is the same peninsula that Port Sidney is on. It is geographically very close to Sidney, but by sea, is another 15 miles or so. You sail north and then west past the Swartz Bay ferry terminal and then finally south. Brentwood Bay is just north of the Butchart Gardens.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Mike.Gritten said:
Sean,

Brentwood Bay is on the "back side" of the Saanich Peninsula, which is the same peninsula that Port Sidney is on. It is geographically very close to Sidney, but by sea, is another 15 miles or so. You sail north and then west past the Swartz Bay ferry terminal and then finally south. Brentwood Bay is just north of the Butchart Gardens.

Oh, that bay - the one that narrows all the way down and terminates at the backside of Butchart Gardens? Is there a marina there and town - some place that would be interesting - or is it just houses, etc?

Also - what about the American side? Is it more or less pre-destined that we're looking for a very quiet kind of place like Poet's Cove - or is a more urban setting (like Pt. Townsend) under consideration?

//sse