Ericson Independence 31 sunk in MDR.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Do you know what caused it to sink? I imagine they would have had to rectify this before floating her again.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fully submerged in salt water = total insurance loss.
Someone is soon going to be buying a "project boat" for a dollar.
What a sad situation for a classic design!
:esad:

Loren

Ericson 30-II

Tim, It's in the yard now.

I work nights and when I woke up today at the crack of 2pm the boat was gone from the slip. (unless it sank again.)

I will post the reason it sank as soon as I find out the reason. This boat was immaculate. Though never used it was stored with thousands of dollars worth of canvas coverings completely covering it from the toe rail up.

Being an Ericson guy I have often wondered about this beautiful and capable boat just sitting there. A lot of times it's an older guy that can't sail anymore and can'r give up the dream.

I will post more when I find out some details.

Regards, Bregan

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author

Glyn Judson

Fate of the sunken E31 in MDR.

Ignacio, That hull sat on the hard for some time, probably insurance haggling or some such, but is now back in the water. Same owner? I have no idea. I ran across her in early December on an end tie in E basin. If interested, please email me directly at glynjudson@roadrunner.com for a few snaps I took of it that day. To be totally honest, it wasn't me behind the lens, it was Greg, owner of hull #63 aboard my boat while I was at the helm. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Here you go

A couple of images from that December Marina del Rey tour.
Great use of the pole, you could rig two hammocks that way!

Attachments

• DSC_0248R.jpg
    DSC_0248R.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC_0250R.jpg
    DSC_0250R.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

jcboyce

Why the E31csank in Dey Rey

Do you know what caused it to sink? I imagine they would have had to rectify this before floating her again.

It seems there was much debate and little fact.
The Windancer sank because the stuffing box hose was so bad the rubber crumbled, leaving a dirty nylon net to strain the ocean. (Unfortunetly access is so bad 2 serveyers couldn't find it.) Letting water in it sank.
The water marks on the inside of the boat, included mold on the over head indicated water had been high for some time.
Mack told me the owner would not give him access to check the inside, though he asked him to go by and checkmit now & then.
I had been interested in the vessel for 2.5 years, after passing by the stern seeing the foot exposed by the covers that covered everything from a foot above the waterline up. I had never seen the deck when she sank, and mad the bid to buy it while it was still under water.
Know one knows when she sank, some said they went to the head and when they came back she was sunk, others said she was down at 4 AM when they came home.
I my self had been trying to get in touch with the owner, for 2.5 years because I was interested in the vessel. Roger (Dock Master)
It took some time in the yard because the insurer had to acquir the tittle, the had the engine pickles, I had to remove it to pull the stuffing box. The pinion in the injection pump was broken so the engine ran but would not shut off. I rebuilt the pump. ran the engine, and reinstalled the engine.
I am reworking the exhaust because, it lacked a high lift, or vent. The electrical was a night mare, and had an inverter mounted over the enging. The Sprit was gamaged when it hit the dock going down. She was not equiped to be in a slip. I have not made up my mind if I will change it.
Sinking happened because once the rudder access hatch went below the water line filling the cockpit probably in minutes.
Possible things I have found that could have sunk her: multiple through hulls installed below the water line(1 sq, ft. under galley. lack of a access hatch to the rear of the engine compartment. cockpit drain hoses, to small and connected to two through hulls, In my oppenion not large enough to drain the cockpit of green water.
Thinking of installing a teak decak in the cockpit. I put one in a customers boat I think it would either add to the vessel or make up for the modification made to the fiberglass when the wheel was put in.

Last edited: