E35-II AC/DC Panel-Wiring Upgrade

chaco

Member III
The (3) batteries weigh close to 200lbs. I will even out any list with
storage of other HEAVY cargo (tools) in the starboard settee locker and
the new storage area created under the stove.
The issue here is to store the batteries in the bilge areas to keep the
center of gravity as low as possible for effective ballast.
I will have to build a fiberglass water tight battery box for acid spill protection and ventilate any new storage areas from hydrogen gas
concentration.
Good luck on your rewire project ! /) /) /)

jmoses

Member III
Batteries and AC DC Panel

The best location for the batteries would be on the centerline of course. Since the E-35 MKII battries are a little to the port side, it contributes a little to my port list. It's not much, but an inch is an inch. I did rebuild a new battry box that will accomodate 6 v cells. As soon as the pictures are developed I will post.

As for panels, I have a little heartburn with the AC/DC panel depicted above: It would be very easy to trip the breakers when sitting at the nav station in a port tack or when sleeping in the quarter berth.

The electric panel should be in a lcoation that minimizes accidental tripping of breakers. I see it frequently....the yard or do-it-your-selfer will install a panel in a companionway or right at knee height. All too oftne, someone's shoulder will trip the breaker when walking past or hit the panel with their knee turning off a potentially vital system without knowing it. All to often it's water in the bilge that indicates the bilge pum[p breaker was accidentally tripped.

This is why I have concern about mounting the panel as depicted above as it is all too easy to trip off a breaker and not know it!

J.Moses

chaco

Member III
Good point John...
How about the area above the Nav Station Locker shown with Radio
installation? The new (20) Breaker DC Panel is 8"H X 16"L and will fit
in this area. Thanks for sharing your safety experiences.