E29 Finally launched after 2.5 year refit

simdim

Member II
John,
After you had sailed for a bit with the new Foss rudder would you say that it was definitely worth while change? My original rudder is a bit crooked on the bottom (about 7-10 deg) and had a lot of water that I am draining every fall ...
How hard was it to drop the rudder and did you strip it to the metal before sending in?

Cheers,

Simon

jkenan

Member III
John,
After you had sailed for a bit with the new Foss rudder would you say that it was definitely worth while change?

I would definitely say it was worth the change.

As much as I tried to maximize sail trim with the original rudder installed, I always had to man the helm to provide correction from normal steering fluctuations, even in light wind, or the boat eventually veer wildly off course With the new rudder, I can sail up to about 15 knots without touching the helm, and while the boat's direction fluctuates, it always resolves back to where it should be. When sailing in stiffer conditions, I need to man the helm, but it is not nearly as much work as it was sailing in the same conditions with the old rudder. I still strive to achieve the best trim possible, with proper tension on the foot and luff, headstay tension, etc depending on wind conditions.

I feel the upgrade is awesome, and will result in less wear and tear on the helmsman as well as the ST4000+ autopilot.

I did not send the old rudder back - I just purchased a new one. Foss has all the specs since they built all the original rudders (The 'new' E29 rudder design they offer is based on the Cal 40 rudder shape). I'm keeping my old one as backup in case the new one gets damaged.

Getting the old one off was not that difficult - but removing the quadrant was. I had to use an angled die grinder to cut the old quadrant in Half (replaced it with a new Edson Bronze unit). I had to dig a hole in the ground to provide enough clearance to get the rudder out, and once the quadrant was off, it slid right out. Getting it in and out is a little cumbersome, but overall very acheivable with one person.

simdim

Member II
John,
That is supper (just what I wanted to hear and show to the admiral :) )
The main complain of everyone who sailed on our bout is that you can never let go of the wheel - the boat starts to weer wildly (It is our firs boat so I did not know any better). From your description the "new" rudder solves exactly that. The ground digging statement does bother me a bit - I do not think our yard will allow that... Maybe I should drop it in the water.

Cheers,

Simon

jkenan

Member III
...or have them block it higher? Makes getting up and down that much more work though, but if your not planning on doing too much of an overhaul, it might not be that bad. Check with your yard about digging the hole (unless you're on concrete) - they'll probably just ask you to fill it back in when you're done if you explain what you're trying to do.

Regarding the rudder, remember that it does not compensate for inefficient sail trim (not saying that is your problem, just saying in general...). If sails are poorly set, you'll be fighting the boat no matter what rudder you have on there.

I also had a concern about the rudder tube glassed into the hull - I added several layers of roving and cloth to reinforce that joint. Just felt better about doing that, since there is more surface area and a greater theoritical load than with the original rudder.

Good luck, and let us know how you proceed.