E27 stern rail propane

Haiku

Member II
I ran the hose for the propane today. I drilled through the top corners of the ice box to run it through. I used 7/8 marine coolant hose as chafe protection. The 3/8 end fitting on the propane hose fits through nicely. The hose will be supported and protected all the way back to where it goes through the transom.
Now I just need to build, or get a bracket built for the tank.

clp

Member III
About rail brackets. I doubt I have a picture, it never occurred to me to take one, but I build rail brackets out of Starboard commonly. Depending on how I feel that day dictates how nice I make them, but take a long piece about two inches wide, and an inch thick, and using a spade bit drill a one inch hole in it. Cut it in half in the center of the hole. You now have the two ends for the clamp, provided you saw ahead what you are building, and left enough to work with. (The reason I said a long piece is simply so you can chuck it). At this point, obsessive/compulsive personalities can have a field day. Countersunk bolt heads and whatnot, and if I have to describe that technique, maybe you oughta buy 'em outright.
I have tapped 1/4-20" holes into the stuff, but I think two well placed #10 S.S. screws work just as well. Drill a relief hole for the threads though, the stuff can split/bust. I can whiz one of these puppies out in about twenty minutes that Hulk Hogan couldn't snatch off of the boat.

Haiku

Member II
The project is almost complete. I had the bracket welded today and I'm very happy with the result. As soon as the paint dries, I'll be able to clamp it to the stern rail and it's done. I'll provide more pictures when it's all installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Haiku

Member II
Almost complete. I still have to add a third u-bolt to the bottomed the bracket.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Looks good!

That looks great.!

A question, is that a high pressure solenoid switch, or the low pressure one that is sold by trident?

The low pressure one used in the high pressure side does not work correctly, and will jam both open and closed.

12 VDC Brass (body) Solenoid has full flow 5/16" orifice and 3/8" FPT ports. Connects to LPG Regulator outlet and supply line with male Hex nipple (603-3838) and male flare adapter (600-3838). UL Listed. Will not open with high pressure, and closes automatically with no or low electric current. draws 790 M A when open. Use with 12 VDC Control Panel (1300-7704). From Trident http://www.tridentmarine.com/stage/lpg_detect.htm

I never use the low pressure ones because they have to be fitted after the regulator. A possible and occasional failure mode in these systems in the bellows in the pressure regulator becomes torn, which can cause gas to be vented outside the tank.

Guy

Last edited:

Haiku

Member II
Thanks Guy! And now I know why it wasn't working properly. That is frustrating. Because I bought the solenoid and panel online, I'm just going to have to keep it and use it.
So from the stove, the configuration would be solenoid, regulator, pressure gauge?

Guy Stevens

Yes but really don't do it.

Really you are better off getting a High Pressure Solenoid it is safer! And it allows you to check more of the system every time you use it.

With a LP Solenoid, NOT RECOMMENDED:
TANK-> Regulator -> LP Solenoid -> Gauge -> Appliance.

With a HP Solenoid:
Tank-> HP Solenoid -> Gauge -> LP Regulator -> Appliance.

One advantage is that the gauge tests the regulator, the part that fails most often, for leaks!

Another advantage is that the Gauge does a much better job of detecting leaks on the HP Side. You see a lot more movement a lot faster for even the slightest leaking.

The panel is fine, the wiring is fine, you just need one of these instead of the LP solenoid valve you have.
http://www.suremarineservice.com/AFC-151R.aspx

Guy
:)

Last edited:

Haiku

Member II
Thanks again for the advice, Guy. I thought I had researched everything. While I agree with what you're saying, I unfortunately bought the solenoid and panel as a kit and can't return them now. So I just have to make the best of it.
Because the tank is outside hanging off the stern rail, even if the regulator fails, the propane tank will just empty itself into the water. While that would definitely be frustrating while out in a trip, it wouldn't be dangerous.
When this solenoid fails, I'll buy a new HP version.
Live and learn.

Haiku

Member II
Finished project

Still haven't made a canvas cover, but otherwise, it's finished. I'm very happy with the outcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited: