E27 stern rail propane

Haiku

Member II
I've just purchased a new Dickenson 2 burner propane stove for my E27 to replace the alcohol stove. I also got a new 11lb Viking fibreglass tank as part of the deal. I'm going to mount it to the stern and wanted to know if anyone else has done this and has any input or ideas.
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 446
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 536

Schoolboyheart

Member II
I was just reading a thread on this last night. Seems the best option is to buy a tank/rail mount holder from sure marine services in seattle. It comes with the regulator solenoid etc. search for the thread the guy had photos of the install.

Haiku

Member II
Thanks for the suggestion. While that would be a great option, it's made for aluminum tanks, not composite. I think I will just make my own. Weld some aluminum into an "L" and use some u-bolts to secure it to the pulpit. Then just a canvas cover. Should do the trick.

celtic sea

Member III
I'd like to eventually do the same thing on my 1973 E27. It appears on the stern would be the enclosed box, etc. What about the line to stove? I like the idea of it being enclosed, but that is also a CC required. I like to hear what other 27's are doing.
John
Celtic Sea
E27 1973

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
One thing about those pictured tank mounts... they don't appear to include the regulator and solenoid, which appear to be inboard somewhere (or aren't actually installed for those pictures.) Most of the propane leaks that I've encountered were due to failures in the regulator. In fact, I currently have my regulators (stove and heater each need one) mounted to the inside of the transom, over the scupper. When a regulator failed, the fumes filled up the cockpit and rolled down into the cabin within a few seconds - way faster than they could drain through the scupper. (I didn't wait to see if the sniffer/alarm would work.) I have seen the light. Propane locker version II on tap for spring. I'm not so worried about the lines to the stove/heater, as long as they are solid, unbroken lines with no fittings along the way. Of course, there has to be one bulkhead fitting and one at the appliance.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Rail-mounted propane tank

Here are some photos of my setup. I installed both a regulator and a solenoid at the tank. The switch for the solenoid is installed inside the cabin within reach from the galley as well as the cockpit. These photos are from the initial install. I've since connected the wiring, ran continuous LPG hose to the stove, covered the exposed wiring and hose at the stern with corrugated tubing, and covered all of that with green canvas to match my dodger and sail cover.

IMG_3001.jpgIMG_3002.jpgIMG_3003.jpg

Haiku

Member II
This is what I was thinking of roughly copying. Very simple. I would also just make a canvas cover to protect everything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 126

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
How would you secure the bottle and keep it from moving around in the bracket? Probably have to do something about those sharp edges and corners too. I'll take a bruise over a cut any day!

Looking at the T fitting in the lower section where the hose(s) attach, I'm reminded that I'd been toying with the idea of putting in a T fitting myself after the regulator and solenoid, and running another hose to a rail-mounted propane grill. I didn't like the idea of opening the solenoid and letting propane go into the stove line if I only wanted to use the grill though. Maybe a small ball valve after the T fitting would do the trick.

This is what I was thinking of roughly copying. Very simple. I would also just make a canvas cover to protect everything.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
You'll have to look closely at your grill. Most grills and lanterns take high-pressure (before the regulator) and a special hose. They have a small orifice built-in to reduce pressure. The Tee would have to go before the regulator, but after the solenoid. preferably with a shut-off valve. Also the solenoid should go in between the tank and the regulator. (And also upstream of any Tee.)

1. As noted above, one of the most common propane leaks is from a failed or leaky regulator diaphragm. If the solenoid were after the regulator, it could not shut off such a leak.

2. If two appliances are attached (e.g. stove and heater) two regulators are needed. Solenoid must be up-stream to control both.

Haiku

Member II
That picture was just a rough idea. I wouldn't use such thick aluminum to begin with, or have any sharp edges. I'm going to talk to a welder/fabricator tomorrow to get some ideas. I would probably just use a ratcheting strap to secure the tank to the bracket, and then some u-bolts to secure the bracket to the rail. I have a tendency to over engineer everything I build, so I'm trying to keep it simple but strong.

I would also like to use the tank for my barbecue but I'll have to get some more info on the safest and easiest way to do this. I'll run a continuous line from the solenoid to the stove through the transom using a vapour tight fitting.
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,052

Guy Stevens

That tank is no longer fillable due to federal recall.

That Lite Cylinder company tank in those photos is no longer able to be filled by federal law. Before you design a bracket for it, you should know that you can't get that cylinder legally filled any more. The company was run by unscrupulous management, and violated too many laws. DOT tried several times to get them to fix their manufacturing problems, they refused, the head of the company took all the money declared the company bankrupt and all of us owners got stuck with tanks that can't be sent back and no refunds available.

http://www.sotar.com/lite-recall.html has all the information, you can look up the recall directly from the feds if you need to using the data on that page.

That is a giant cylinder for a 27 unless you live aboard. I would recommend something smaller for a replacement, the Sure Marine Route is a nice package to go with.

Maybe that is just a photo you found, and you have a different tank, it was hard to tell from the thread.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

Haiku

Member II
I'm not entirely sure how it's going to look. The pictures I included are not my tank. They're just pictures I found online. I got a Viking 11lbs composite tank. http://www.go2marine.com/product/198440F/propane-tanks-fiberglass-clear-view.html
My father does have a spare aluminum 10lbs tank which I may try to convince him to swap with me. He has the fibreglass tanks that have been recalled.
I'm going to have to compromise somewhere. I'm planning on going out in the summer for at least 2 weeks. I did the same last year and went through about 7lbs of propane. And I was alone.
I think that if done right and I keep the bracket as compact as possible with a nice canvas cover, it won't look too out of place. It won't be ideal but I think it will be the best compromise while not compromising safety.

Haiku

Member II
New stove is installed. Still have to do all the plumbing and haven't had a chance to finalize a bracket design, but hopefully next week. I just held the new tank off the transom to try to get an idea of how it will look, and I don't think it's going to be so bad. Especially with a canvas cover.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 91

Schoolboyheart

Member II
Nice!

nice looking stove! what kind is that? i definitely am interested in how you route the lines. this is on my bucket list, which is more like a baby pool list.

Haiku

Member II
Thanks! It's a Dickinson 00-2BP. http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/propane.php
i went with this one for a couple of reasons. The first being that it sits flush to the countertop, which is important when there's so little to begin with. The second being that it's a local company with an excellent reputation and easy to source parts.
I'll be running the hose basically straight along the hull and then out the transom. Should be very simple.

Last edited:

Schoolboyheart

Member II
did you replace an origo stove? just wondering if the cut out is the same. I have three or four bulkheads i would have to drill through to route a line there so maybe our boats' galleys are set up differently. one of those goes right to the icebox with no access too.

Haiku

Member II
I did replace an alcohol stove, not Orico, but I can't quite remember the brand. The new cut out was 21.5" x 12.5". I only had to trim about a quarter inch off all the way around.
To be honest, I hadn't actually thought about the "ice box". I'll have to look more closely when I'm back on the boat next week. I will probably still end up going straight through the ice box and tucking it up in the corner as far as I can. I'm planning on using rubber grommets everywhere it goes through anything as well as wrapping it in plastic wire loom.