Celebrity Sailors?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Missed this one!

Dr. Laura of radio talk show fame is an avid sailor/racer..As of a few years ago she was campaigning one of the new larger J boats (133?) around Socal..How's THAT for bizarre?

S

Bob in Va

Member III
Bucky

Some might not have heard of him, but Buckminster Fuller, inventor of the geodesic dome among many other goodies, was an avid sailor. He was on a U.S. postage stamp not long ago, so I suppose that cements his "celebrity" status. His boat, to the best of my memory a Morgan 41, was named "Intuition." Perhaps best of all, he penned these lines:

And of all the designs
Thus far formulated by humans
None have been
As adequately anticipatory
Of the probable reoccurrences
Of yesterday's experiences -
Positive and negative,
Large and small,
Frequent and infrequent,
Sudden and slow -
And therefore as
Progressively comprehensive,
Complexedly adequate,
Economically exquisite,
Powerfully eloquent
And regeneratively reinspiring
To further evolutionary perfection
As is
The sailing ship.
It is visually obvious
Even to the inexperienced viewer
That the sailing ship is designed
To cope with nature's
Most formidably hostile
Environmental conditions
For human survival.
Those existing at the interface
of the ocean's and the atmosphere's
Ofttimes tumultuous ferocity..."

Yeah, that's how he wrote much of the time.
Oh, let's also include the movie actor Errol Flynn, whose boat was "Sirocco" when Volkswagen Beetles still had split rear windows.

Last edited:

Don Taugher

Member II
More celibs to add to the list, Ernest Borgnine (Mc Hales Navy). He had a Rhodes 33 he sailed out of Marina del Rey in the 60's.

Fess Parker (Davey Crockett). I worked in marina del rey in my college days and set the boat up for Fess to sail.

Natalie Wood fell from a power boat at two harbors in catalina.

Don Taugher
38-200
Running Free

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Bogie, a Stag sailor.

Bogie felt that:

"the trouble with having dames on board is you can’t pee over the side."

Attachments

• BB_7.jpg
    BB_7.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Celeb. Sailors

Pete Townshend, of The Who/ "Tommy" Rock Opera fame.
Owns a Classic 64 based in Antibes, France named Zephyr of Falmouth.
I had the delightful experience of crossing the harbor on her with Capt. Killian and 1st mate, my Son Geoffrey several years ago. Helped them to a rig temp. back stay so the travel lift could proceed to drive over and pick her up for a bottom job.
Check out the link;
http://www.bcryachts.com/index.php?id=329515&cat=9274&artpic=294158&artpicaid=329515

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Walter Schirra, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo Astronaut

Wally Schirra died today at age 84. He reportedly owned a 36' sailboat called Windchime.

Corwin

John McVie of Fleetwood Mac was into sailing. He has been quoted talking about making several trips to Hawaii. Google turns that stuff up pretty easy.

I've heard that Lorne Green used to sail in the San Francisco Bay Area, but have been unable to find any evidence.