Celebrity Sailors?

lbertran

Member III
Eric Clapton Has a Power Yacht

It's called Blue Guitar and was seen cruising the Chesapeake Bay one summer about three or four years ago. That summer, we were anchored at Rock Hall and got to talking with a lady who runs a B&B there. She said she was floored when Clapton came in and asked for a room for the night. Blue Guitar is a really HUGE boat.
Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis, MD

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I was moored with Blue Guitar at Monhegan Island a few years back. It is a big boat that would certainly be very comfortable to sleep on. However, it was a nice looking boat. It had a rounded stern and very classic lines. Not sure if it was old or just retro. I don't think Eric was on it that weekend.

Here is a photo(not from me)

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1177727763058735695JNKMQo

A lot of celebrities own large powerboats more as a status symbol that they lend to their less fortunate friends and business associates.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Celebrity Sailors List So Far

John F. Kennedy
Robert Kennedy
Bob Seger
Warren Zevon
Christopher Cross
David Crosby
Walter Cronkite
Jimmy Buffett
Ed Bradley
John Ford
Popeye The Sailor Man
Edward Heath, former Prime Minister, UK
Larry Ellison
Jeremy Irons
Elton John
Simon Lebon(of Duran Duran)
Humphrey Bogart
Gary Moore (of Thin Lizzy)
Morgan Freeman
William F. Buckley
Franklin D. Roosevelt (pre-polio)
Robert Kennedy
Geraldo
Spongebob
Jimmy Buffet
Judge Smails
Jack Sparrow
William Rehnquist
Neil Young
Dana Elcar

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Mark Spitz
Tommy Hilfiger
James Brown
Anthony Edwards
William F. Buckley
Walter Cronkite
Larry Flynt
Buddy Ebsen
Antonio Banderas
Christian Fittipaldi
Dougie Thompson (Supertramp)
Stephen Stills
Gary Glitter
Kelsey Grammer
Humphrey Bogart
Ted Kennedy
Bruce Willis
Robert Palmer
Pope John Paul
Junior Samples
Johnny 'Black Sails' Cash
Johnny Cochran
James Arness
Gordon Lightfoot
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Cross
Dr. Laura
George Clinton
Sly Stallone
Vickie Lawrence
Jason Priestly
Roy Disney
Robert Powell
Jeremy Irons
Roger Taylor
Nick Mason

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I take it you have verification for these Celebrity Sailors.

Some how I have a hard time picturing James Brown tugging on a jib sheet or taking in a reef.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Goofy

Since we are being goofy, What about Joe Hazelwood. He had his 15 minutes of fame and wash her down with some more Whiskey

lbertran

Member III
And According to Captain Ron

Clark Gable and Carole Lombard were once owners of the sailboat that Captain Ron is hired to captain for Martin Short. Great movie to watch while the boat is covered by snow,

Laura

Mike Thomas

Member II
I think if Spongy and Popeye get in then so should

John Candy
John Cusak
Kevin Costner (3x)

I may call “Bravo - Sierra” on George Clinton. I'd need photographic proof on that one. Actually, I just want to see the spinnaker that the P-Funk All Stars would fly.

Mike T

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Celeb. Sailor

All,

Buddy Ebsen (Uncle Jed Beverly Hillbillys) was a avid sailor. He had many boats over the years

Actor, comedian and dancer Buddy Ebsen is best known for his role as Jed Clampett on "The Beverly Hillbillies" and detective Barnaby Jones. Ebsen a well-known dancer from a vaudeville, appeared in several early films, including one with Shirley Temple. He was originally cast as the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. Unfortunately the aluminum dust used in the make-up got into his system. Ebsen had to drop out of shooting in order recuperate. When he returned he found out that he had been replaced with actor Jack Haley. In a contract dispute with MGM Ebsen found that he had time on his hands so he started sailing.

In 1941 he decided to apply for a Navy commission but was turned down even though he was spending time teaching seamanship to Naval Reserve OCS candidates. Ebsen applied for a commission in the Coast Guard. He was accepted and commissioned a Lieutenant (jg) in the Coast Guard. He served on the Navy frigate USS Pocatello, a weather ship that served on Station Able. He was honorably discharged a Lieutenant in 1946. Ebsen went on to various bit parts in movies, but his career really took off when Walt Disney hired him to play George Russel, Davey Crockett’s (Fess Parker), partner.

FYI

Lew Decker

Member III
Stupid story time...

I built the 40' Cross trimaran "Sun Flower" and sailed the Caribbean for a few years. We were anchored in front of the Sheraton in Charlotte Amalie while I worked as a charter captain for San Tropez Yacht Charters. I was out on a week-long trip when a new Boston Whaler motored out to my boat. A well-dressed couple aboard asked my crew if they could charter Sun Flower for a week. "She's the best looking boat in the harbor," they said. They had a big motoryacht under charter and they wanted a boat to daysail on while they were anchored over in Megan's Bay. Bruce had no clue where I was and he couldn't raise me on the VHF so he had to turn them down. The couple backed away and motored over to a big, boxy trimaran anchored astern of Sun Flower. They chartered "Wanderlust" for the week and Bruce never saw them again.

When I returned from my charter gig, Bruce met me with a sick look on his face. Wanna' know who the charter group was???

Paul McCartney and Wings.

Dang:esad: ...

A pic of Sun Flower - She hit a reef in Honduras and was a total loss.
sunflowerback.jpg

Paul McCartney and Wings worked on an album while they were in St. Thomas. There is a reference to the crew of Wanderlust in the credits, but the name of the album escapes me.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Qualifiers

What about Sam Neill, Nicole Kidman and Billy Zane? Dead Calm.

What kind of boat did Natalie Wood fall off? Robert Wagner's yacht?

Was Duke Wayne a stinkpotter?

Mike Thomas

Member II
Proof??

Mark,

I'll trust sailing anarchy on any number of subjects but a police mug shot of George may not qualify as proof of sailing. I do love the locks though.

"play it so funky they can smell it"!!!!

Mike T

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I'm with ya...

That's why I said "proof of something," rather than "proof of sailing."

But you never know. Anything is possible.

Who woulda thunk Jerry Garcia was an avid scuba diver in his last decade?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
While sailing in St Thomas I sailed past Blue Guitar Dec. 18 06, it is a nice but old looking boat, older than my old boat.

Captain Ron was mentioned but not added to the list. I learned everything I know watching Captain Ron.

Quiet Magic

Member II
Good ol' Gary

How could we forget Gary Jobson. Im a little fuzzy on how he is invlolved,I'm pretty sure he did one of the America's cup Races