Cable shift

OMRODO

Good evening.

I am new to your site and a new Ericson 29 owner. I bought our boat on 1-27-2010. I knew it needed a lot of work, but I am really close to pissing off the wife with the money and time. The boat has a number of sails, all in good condition. Other than the motor and halyards, it is a very tight vessel. No bilge water at all, no blisters, although we do need to have her hauled out in a year or so for bottom paint.

I have the Atomic 4 out and being rebuilt. I will let you know how that turns out, costs and anything else related to the Atomic 4 that is worth telling.

My current problem is the cable from the binicle to the transmision of the Atomic 4. It seems to be frozen. The throttle cable works fine, but the sift lever on the binicle will not move. If I take her out with my partner, one of us will need to be below in order to shift the tranny from reverse to forward and back again as we leave and return to our slip. Single handing will be out of the question if we use the engine.

Any help in how to access the cable would be appreciated. Can we access it if I take the 4 bolts out that hold the binicle to the deck in the cockpit? Does the compass need to come off?

I have been sailing for over 35 years, but mostly on Hobies. My first 16 was sail number 4275 and my 18 was hull number 20, sail number 133. I sailed the crap out of them and then got too old to do the knee thing. I have rented up to 48' boats of various makes and lengths over the past few years.

This has been a project for the past three weeks. My hull number is 465. We have all but one halyard replaced (that one will be done next week).
We have replaced the electric bilge pump, rebuilt the manual bildge pump, reworked most of the wiring, both drains in the cockpit have been replaced, all the canvas is replaced, both batteries have been replaced also. Lots of elbow grease and time. We need to rebuild our main hatch cover, sand and varnish all the other wood on board, but we are looking forward to that.Then we are going to tackle the head and water lines.

The motor should be in the end of next week. The main was up today for the first time in over 3 years. We are trying for a first voyage for us in 2 - 3 weeks.

I have enjoyed reading a lot of the other postings and find the site very informatinve.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My boat partner and I are in San Diego. We look forward to meeting other site members in our area.

Omrodo

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi Omrodo,

Welcome from a fellow E29 owner (mine is a tall)--I too have totally enjoyed "pimping out" my E29--till the wife controls my obsession.

Here's are a couple shots of my pedastal and controls. Throtle is on the right--shifter on the left. I had a stiff throtle cable and took the compass off--then the compass housing off and had direct access to the cables.

Next I shot some WD 40 down each--and had some paper towels at the engine end of the cable housing--as I probably used half a can squirting it down the cable housing--working the levers back and forth. It all worked very well--then I followed with some machine oil--as I worried that the WD 40 might evaporate and I needed some lubricant to stay around a while.

That was over a year ago--and so far it is smooth as silk.

Good Luck--hope this helps.

Attachments

• pedastal.JPG
    pedastal.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 92
  • compass.JPG
    compass.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 89

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Welcome to the site and congrats on the E29. I have Hull 591 built in 1978 and have done lots of work on her and have a lot left to do. The boats are great, the first mate and I live onboard three or four days a week. Nice having a girlfriend that is the best crew member.
The 29 is a solid boat and you should be very pleased with her. With a little prep she will take you wherever you want to go and if you want to single hand her that is easy.
Again congrats and there is a great Thread on main hatches.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=4959

OMRODO

Shift cable

Thanks everyone. This is a great site! I have never had such quick responce from any other site I have used for anything.

I will Take the compass off and see what is in there. I will keep you posted. It is raining like crazy today, so I will wait until tomorrow to get started.

Thanks again for all your help.

Omrodo (Gary Rodemeyer)

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Good evening.

My current problem is the cable from the binicle to the transmision of the Atomic 4. It seems to be frozen. The throttle cable works fine, but the sift lever on the binicle will not move. If I take her out with my partner, one of us will need to be below in order to shift the tranny from reverse to forward and back again as we leave and return to our slip. Single handing will be out of the question if we use the engine.

Any help in how to access the cable would be appreciated. Can we access it if I take the 4 bolts out that hold the binicle to the deck in the cockpit? Does the compass need to come off?
Omrodo
Yes. Definitely take off the compass and the top binnacle housing. My top housing is fiberglass or plastic. I have seen pictures of others that appear to be stainless steel. Taking that off gives you access to the top of the shifter cable, and the pin that connects the cable to the shift lever. Reach in there & remove the cotter pin and the thru-pin that connects the cable and the shift lever. Now can you move the shift lever back & forth? If yes, then the cable is frozen. Try a penetrating oil in the top of the cable, but it may be time for a new cable. The length is printed on the cable & you can search for other threads about this subject here.

good luck,

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My top housing is machined aluminum. Hopefully you have this one as the plastic ones are known to break.

The cables are made by Morse and you should be able to find them at most any good chandlery.

OMRODO

Shift cable, again

I was able to get the compass and the metal shroud off the binicle today. I could see the shift cable and I removed the cotter key, washer and pin and the shift lever moves fine, as anticipated. After spraying alot of pennitrating oil, I went to the access panel in the cockpit and the cable runs through, out the port side, back to starboard under the batteries and then to the engine area. As discussed in another thread, I am considering drilling down to the birth under the cockpit then to the area astern of the batteries for a more direct route to the engine/tranny.

My problem now is that I can't get the &^$%# cable to move down in the housing (or up either). I have it disconnected at the engine from the mount that keeps the housing for the cable stable. Is there another in the binicle itself?

Thanks in advance for your continued help. I am still very impressed with the willingness to help of the people on this site.

Omrodo (Gary)

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Shift and Throttle Cables

Gary: If I remember correctly, the compass has to come off entirely.....then I think you have to disassemble everything in sight and pull up for access to the spot(for lack of the proper term) that attaches the cables. It is a slow process of discovery.....it has been three years since I did mine, but it was well worth the effort for peace of mind.

Once I got all of the disassembly done, I attached two electricians fish tapes...one mine and one borrowed, to the disconnected cables at the engine, and then pulled them through the binnacle.......then attached new cables to the tapes and pulled them down to the engine.

In this manner I know all is new and will have many years of service without worry. Even though my boat had never been in salt water prior to my owning it, they were stiff and pulled hard....I had a throttle cable go on a prior boat, and it is scary.....it was a single lever, and shifted into gear, but because the cable was broken the engine starved for fuel, and I was lucky I had a crew that was able to stop the boat before it drove over the dock....

I hope I made my point......REPLACE BOTH CABLES !!!!!!!!

Last edited:

OMRODO

Thanks Mort, will do. I have the compass off and am down to the cable area, it is just hard to see where to disconnect the cables from the houosing.

Thanks again.

Gary

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Garry, if you undo the ends at the engine, once you have the compass cover off you can pull the whole cable arrangement up about 6 - 8 inches at the binnacle, which allows you to see what needs to be disconnected. It's easier than it sounds.

When installing the new cables, take time to ensure that the cables are adjusted properly--ie. getting full throttle and shifting forward/reverse properly without bending the cable inserts too much at the binnacle.

Good luck!

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Navigating thru Tight Turns

"Just one more thing..."
You may or may not find that the factory installation was the best possible for a smooth cable run. On our boat someone had really tried to tidy up the loops and curves with lots of screws and plastic tie-wraps and the result were some turns that must have been at the ultimate tight limit of radius that the cable was spec'd out for when new -- or maybe beyond spec.
I opened up all the turns to whatever the surrounding trim and space would allow and this seems to make some noticeable difference in friction.

Best,
Loren

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I think the factory may have used whatever length cable was at hand that day. The cables in my boat were too long by a few feet. I have heard of other Ericsons having the same issue. I replaced them with the proper length and it made a huge difference.

OMRODO

Thanks everyone, I was able to get more of the pedestal disassembled and can now see the mounting points for both cables. I had to come home and get my impact driver, so I may not make it back down today. The end is in sight, thanks to all of you.

I will be replacing both shift and throttle cable and routing them for shorter distance and less bends and turns.

Thanks again.

Gary

OMRODO

Hi everyone,

I finally got the binacle apart. What a pain! I have several bolts stuck and the only thing that moved them was an impact driver. I still had 2 long stainless bolts that were giving me trouble in the section where the throttle and shifter are attached. One stripped the head and the other snapped in place. I got the binacle apart and getting to the cable was no problem after that.

I took both the throttler cable and shift cable to West Marine and the guy at the counter had no trouble replacing the throttle cable, but he about had a heart attack when viewing the size of the shift calbe. He asked "How big is the boat this is from? It must have the biggest transmission on earth."

He gave me the same exact cable for shifting the tranny as I have for the throttle. Will this work? It is a lot smaller and adapting it will be a pain. I have a call in to Sealand power industries to see if they can make one, so I will keep you posted.

Talk to all soon.

Gary (Omrodo)

Matey

Member III
The right cable

Gary,

I just went through the same thing last year. The Atomic is a tough shifting engine and needs an appropriate cable. The guy at WM is confused. That cable won't get it for shifting your A4. It's too small

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>In researching shifter cables I found the following..

The original for my Ericson 32 was a Morse 64C-10 feet long. The 64 is a heavy cable with 5/16" ends. I was told the "6" is the 5/16" cable. The "4" is 4" travel and the "C" denotes a clamp style end .. as opposed to a bulkhead type mount.
I ended up having one made by Sealand Power Distributors www.sealandpower.com. They were very helpful. It ran $117- plus shipping.
I had heard of folks using a bit lighter cable with 1/4" ends but shyed away. It's one of the many last things I want failing.

For work on your Atomic, check in on the Moyer Marine forum at http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/index.php

It's an equally great site with very helpful & industrious guys. I've been very happy with Moyer's parts as well. I rebuilt my A4 with their parts & help

Greg

OMRODO

Got the right cable

Greg,

Thanks for the input. I found another place on line, Baum Hydraulics in Nebraska. Andy is the rep for California. He sent me the catalog pages by e-mail in case I couldn't get to them on line. We talked and I measured and the numbers on the original cable even corresponded to his catalog numbers, except I needed a clamp to clamp cable and the numbers on my cable were for a bulkhead cable. They have the clevis and clamps and all should be here next Tuesday. Contact info is www.baumhydraulics.com 1-800-228-9222.
Total cost for the cable, clevis and clamp is about $100.

Thanks again for the help.

Gary:egrin:

Matey

Member III
good stuff ..

i did'nt want to see you do the job right .. with the wrong cable

good luck with the boat

Greg