Boom

Kevin Johnston

Member III
There are many E27 owners who have had boom failures with the original equipment. I folded my boom in half and a different time I sheered the gooseneck clean through. The boom folded on a planned jib in 15-20 knots off the stern when changing tacks on a broad reach. The point of failure was at the middle pulley attached to the boom. There was a slightly noticable curve in the boom upward from the mainsheet aft, which I believe added to the foreseeability of future failure (so, Matt look for that).

A beer would be good, I will let you know my schedule and send you a private message using this site. We are staying on the waterfront in Seattle.

Last edited:

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Art credit

I can't take the full credit for the art. I pulled that from a .pdf in the documents section of this site (E27 boom preventer drawing, which I'm not sure I fully get). I just added the red arrows for forces and the lines where the mainsheet and traveller are.

Yes, I do get to over-thinking problems sometimes. ;)

Kevin, I'll inspect the boom for that curve this weekend. I'll also look for that PM.

Regards,

Dave Hussey

Member III
Kevin,
your description of your boom failure sounds very much like mine. I use a cunningham to adjust tension on the luff, so a downhaul hasn't been missed yet. I do want to re-install a winch on the mast however, to help raise the main in less than optimal conditions, or when the slide lugs get obstinate...I'm going to try dryslide lube this spring and see if that helps.
As for cabin top traveler versus stern rail mounted, unless a boat has wheel steering, the cabin top seems right where it should be. I want to buy a dodger in the near future, and this creates a new dynamic in the thinking processes, one which may have me curseing the cabin top traveler anew...we'll see.:egrin:
Dave H

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Dave,

I can tell you first hand, cabin top sheeting with a wheel is a bit cumbersome. My E27 has an aftermarket pedestal just forward of the tiller mount. I usually run the mainsheet back and just drape it over the top of the pedestal. This would be fine if solo, but my "crew" have a tendency to spend most of their time traversing the companionway. The sheet is right there in the way. Or is it vice versa?<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Anyway, if it weren't for the ridiculous number of turns it already takes through blocks, I'd consider routing it sideways and aft along a rail. Too much friction already, 'tho.

Honestly, it might be better to re-route it such that the working end exits the aft most block on the boom, rather than the block on the traveller. I wonder if anyone has done this? Of course, I'd have to switch some hardware around... This would work best when close-hauled and worse I think when running down wind.

Okay, I'm rambling again...

sleather

Sustaining Member
Mainline!

Matt & All, There's not a big difference it the mainsail size between the E23 and E27. My main has a single bale on the boom w/ a 4:1 fiddle block mainsheet. The mainsheet system is on snap shackles(completely removable) and my traveler has been cut-down from full width(mid-cockpit) to just spanning the footwell(works great).
You could easily install a mainsheet and traveler in front of the wheel, right @ the front of the "hatches".

Just my .02 (which is decreasing in value as we speak)