Boat Show rendezvous

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Ok, so at the mid-summer rendezvous there was some talk of a boat show rendezvous. What logistics are we thinking for this one ? We always go to the show on Friday. Is that along the lines of the what others do ? We like to go on Fridays since the turnout on the weekend gets oppressive with the people who go with the family just for entertainment.

Plus I'm not sure if we actually take the boat this time if we'll have enough room for the stuff we purchase. No wait - maybe we'll have to buy a bigger boat there ! ;)

Emerald

Hi,

The last two years we did it on the Saturday and started late afternoon e.g. 5:00. The thought was more folks were there and those who might not be able to get off work on Friday early could join us.

Of note, we've had some real long distance travelers, one couple even came down from Canada, plus several groups from New York. However, I think all of them had come in for several days for the boat show and other touring, so Friday would probably have been fine for them as well.

That all said, perhaps folks should pipe up here with their preference, as I am only relating what we did in the past, and if Friday is better for more people, then let's hear about it.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Friday, Saturday

If Friday isn't good we can do Saturday. We can still see the show on Saturday and hang around on Saturday. Heck, we're talked about needing to go to the show two days anyway.

Annapolis E-27

Member III
My preference is Saturday as I will be working the Good Old Boat booth that morning. Please come by and see me and Kathy. We will be ready to quench our thirst anytime after 12:00 Saturday. Anyone a member of the Fleet Reserve Club?

Bob Robertson

Member III
2006 Annapolis Sailboat Show/ Ericson gathering

Hi David,

My wife and I had a last minute change of plans last year and didn't make
it, but we should be able to attend this year. We are looking forward to
getting together with the group.

Friday or Saturday will probably work equally as well for us. Thanks for organizing this fun event.

Bob and Sandy Robertson
"Anticipation"
1987 38-200

Emerald

Let's make it Saturday

Hi,

Great to hear from past attendees and really looking forward to seeing folks getting together for this event again.

Let's make Saturday the official day to go for. I think we'll get greater coverage, and it's a good excuse to enjoy some more time in Annapolis if heading in on Friday with a weekend to kill - there's actually some neat non-boat stuff to check out here, like I think we've got more Federal period buildings than any other city/town in The Country, so bring a camera and lots of film or bytes as appropriate :egrin:

There is behind the scenes plotting on venue, but it isn't 100%, so if folks have a place they'd like to throw out, now is the time before some behind the scenes Vikings make an arbitrary decision :cool:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Galley_Slave

Member II
It will be interesting to arrive at the boat show by water.... and a whole lot easier to park! I can't wait to learn of the anchorage that the behind the scenes plotters have in mind. (You probably know there are water taxis that go between Eastport at The Chart House, and the docks just south of the Marriott)

I am not sure of the logistics. Do you traditionally all go to the show together? Or is it just a great opportunity to raft and chat and rub tired feet after a day at the boat show?

Is there a special meeting place for dinner, or do you cook on board? "Nero" and I are okay with either option. If we make the rendezvous we'll probably just be hanging out on the boat on Saturday, working on some project or other since Neal and I will be doing the show on Friday, as is our custom.
Having been to several boat shows, we know the weather can be anything from hot, sunny, with a gentle breeze, to blowing like stink, rainy, and chilly.

I'm sure those of you who are more familiar with the anchorages in Annapolis are bearing that in mind for dinking to and fro.

Emerald

I am not sure of the logistics. Do you traditionally all go to the show together? Or is it just a great opportunity to raft and chat and rub tired feet after a day at the boat show?

Is there a special meeting place for dinner, or do you cook on board?

I'm sure those of you who are more familiar with the anchorages in Annapolis are bearing that in mind for dinking to and fro.

Hi Peg,

The gathering has been based upon a chance for people to meet at a central place to sit down, have good food and cheer, and basically hang out and socialize as long as they please after a day at the show. With that in mind, we'll try to pick a place that is easy for everyone to get to, and this year, I think we'll try to make it walking distance. I am leaning towards something in Eastport just over the Spa Creek Bridge. With a starting time of 5:30. Recommendations from anyone on a favorite spot are more than welcome.

If you are up for getting folks together coming by water, I'd say go for it, and I'll stay focused on figuring out a watering hole for us all to meet at to cool our feet after walking around all day.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Emerald

Well, now that you mention it, The Boatyard is the place that was being considering for a variety of reasons from atmosphere to location, so let's keep it simple and make it official. We should meet at The Boatyard Bar and Grill in Eastport at 5:30 on Saturday, October 7, 2006 for the 3rd Annual Ericson /Annapolis Sailboat Show Gathering. :cheers:

http://www.boatyardbarandgrill.com/

Look forward to seeing all there.

BTW, we've already heard from folks coming from as far away as Canada, so if you have (or had, or want to have) an Ericson on the Chesapeake or its tributaries, no excuse for not making this event! :devil:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Last edited:

jvanyc

coming from nyc, SAT would be great

I'm a new Ericson 35 owner coming from NYC for the show and would love it if the get together was on Saturday. I'm so excited to meet other Ericson owners. I'm just starting to live aboard now.
Jack

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Can't make Sat, but...

Hey gang,
We're taking one of our dogs to the annual Dewey Beach Greyhound gathering on Sat-Sun, but we'll be at boatshow on Thurs-Fri if anyone wants to get a painkiller or something casual. I really like that we are starting to have some serious get togethers, sorry I keep missing them:esad:
Let me know...
Chris

Tom Russ

Headcount?

I will be coming up from Southern Maryland for the show and would enjoy the opportunity to meet some Ericson owners. Do you need a comitment to get a head count or anything?

Tom Russ
Ol' Blue E27 #428:egrin:

Emerald

Hi,

No need for a head count or anything, just come and join us.

For those curious, I have recieved responses from something around 20 folks now, so I expect we are going to have a nice turnout, and should be lot's of fun.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Phillips Friday ?

Hey gang,
We're taking one of our dogs to the annual Dewey Beach Greyhound gathering on Sat-Sun, but we'll be at boatshow on Thurs-Fri if anyone wants to get a painkiller or something casual. I really like that we are starting to have some serious get togethers, sorry I keep missing them:esad:
Let me know...
Chris

We'll be there Friday and Saturday. We usually hit Phillips for lunch on Friday if'in you want to try that. It usually doesn't take long to be seated.

marid22

Looks like we will be there! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Jack we are on the Hudson up at Haverstraw Marina. Where are you based in NYC?

Emerald

October 7th party reminder

Hi All,

just a reminder that the 3rd Annual Ericson Rendezvous centered around the Annapolis Sailboat show is just around the corner. For those who missed the earlier part of this thread and don't feel like digging, the meeting place is The Boatyard Bar and Grill in Eastport at 5:30 on Saturday, October 7, 2006

http://www.boatyardbarandgrill.com/

Look forward to seeing all there. :cheers:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

bella

HI David... count me in.. even though I am a former Ericson owner.. I love to be around and envy ya'll....like my new boat, but loved my Ericson.. andwill have another one.
be at the boat fri, sat, sun...
anne
'bella