Backstay adjuster?

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Does my '73 E27 need an adjustable backstay? I have a solid-rod roller furling unit that I keep fairly taught anyway... Am I goin' to lose all of them races cause I ain't got no backstay bender?

Seriously, I don't care much about racing but I would like to know how much closer to windward an adjustable backstay might provide?

Your salty-sailor opinions are respectfully requested.
:hail:

sailingdeacon

Member III
I added a hydraulic backstay adjuster (bought used) to my E34. Great results. I'd say you should look at the bend in the forestay while pointing. You likely have considerable bend in it if the wind is 15 plus. (Otherwise you've got too tight a headstay in normal winds.) And you are not pointing as high as you could with the bend out. Also at the same time your main likely is starting to give you weather helm as you approach the upper teens. A backstay adjuster will tighten the forestay. It may (may) flatten the main depending on how much bend you can get in the mast and reduce the amount of heel (probably your mast will not bend much). I happen to have a more bendable mast (thanks to the previous owner). So..... net is that you should point higher in stronger winds and perhaps not heel as much. In general, if you ever club race I would install the adjuster. Hopefully you have a split backstay which makes it pretty simple.

sailingdeacon

Member III
Just noticed that you have solid rod rigging forestay (I think that is what you are saying) But if you have a wire rigging elsewhere, then you've got to have at least some sag in higher winds.

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Good explanation

Sounds like something I should have and learn to understand and use. What I am hoping for is to be able to point just a little closer to windward.

Thanks...

Have your ever noticed that your proposed destination seems to always lie just about directly into the wind?

Have you ever noticed that your engine seems to want to break down, when you have a full load of friends?

Have you ever noticed that your holding tanks are always full when you are the farthest from the pump station?

Have you ever noticed that your compressed-air fog-horn has but two toots left on the foggiest day you've ever seen?

Have you ever noticed that your old alcohol stove is great for cooking curtains but not to good for anything edible?

Have you ever wondered how many BBQ utensils are under the boats in the marina.

Have you ever wondered if your old winch handle, (the one you lost overboard last year), has found any friends?

Your turn:p