Backstay Adjuster Question

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I added a backstay adjuster to my Ericson 27 and noticed while at dock that when tensioned the forward lower shrouds loose tension. I measured the difference with a loos gauge and found it to be about 80 lbs. Is this normal? I thought that tension would have increased in the forwards and decreased in the lower rears.

Currently without backstay tension I have 10% on the lowers and 15% on the uppers. The lower half of the mast is in column and the top bens slightly to aft.

The boat sails well and with the backstay adjuster tensioned it goes faster upwind. Although does not point any higher.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Adjust this!

If you think about it, when you add backstay tension, the front of the mast goes forward, which will definitely loosen the forward lowers and tighten the aft lowers-so what you are seeing is absolutely correct. The relative tension you have is generaly right in that it is better to have the forward lowers slightly tighter than the aft lowers to avoid the possibility of inverting the mast (forward bend). It also will serve to flatten the mainsail somewhat. If, however, you feel the main is already too flat, you can fix this easily by slightly adding more aft lower tension and less fwd lower tension-just make sure the fwds remain just barely tighter than the afts.

As for proper use of the backstay with respect to upwind performance, be careful-pointing in light air is maximized with LOTS of sag-or at least as much as you can get when you ease the backstay(but not so loose the HS is flopping around as you go through the waves)-this is because you are not at or near full speed, and you want the fullest possible genoa, and sag makes it fuller. You will be faster and higher in light air with a loose(ish) backstay. In light air, you will net the best pointing by getting the best forward speed, and then the keel will begin to help you point. If you just sail high and slow, there is not enough flow around the keel for it to develop enough lift, so you will be slow and end up not pointing well (in net terms).

BUT..when the breeze is up and you are approaching hull speed (although I hate that term), and you have a bit of heel, then the full genoa will have too much drag to be close-winded or fast. This is when you add BS adjuster to flatten the genoa, and thus reduce heel and leeway, which yields better pointing and speed.

Question: what do you mean by 10% and 15%? Of what?

Cheers,

seth

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Thank's for the explination Seth.

I sail in the Sacramento Delta just east for SF Bay. Winds have been really good this Sping and Summer consistently 15-25 mph gusting to 30's. Just replaced my standing rigging and added new quantum sails (95% head sail works well for the conditions). So the backstay adjuster will get plenty of use.

Oh, that's 10 and 15% of the breaking strenth of 3/16, 416SS wire rope. Under sail, lew side loose but not wondering. No fall-off at the tip and no pumping or vibrations. Prior to replacing the standing rig, I had a strange harmonic vibration on starboard tack only. Found cracks in swaging on the starboard side upper and backstay.

Thank's again for the info.