Anderson Marine in MDR never home ?

Sven

Seglare
It seems like nobody ever answers the phone or e-mail at Anderson Marine in MDR. They are listed in some places as being on Santa Monica blvd. while other places list them on Washington. Some listed phone numbers have been disconnected others just have a recording.

We're trying to buy a 4-stroke Suzuki 2.5hp but that's hard to do when the dealers are hiding :)

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Sven - Tell me again why you want to buy an engine from someone who doesn't answer the phone. ;)

Because it ends up cheaper if you never meet them !

The economy must be even worse than I'd guessed. Nobody has engines in stock and many dealers don't answer the phone. A very interesting experience to say the least. We finally found a Nissan 3.5 but it took a lot of calls.

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Perhaps there is just too much potential walk-in business lost to 'net vendors. I know that some high quality local shops are struggling and this was before the recession.
As soon as something breaks and the buyers want warranty work they come back to the local dealer.... and wonder why the wait is so long, if the local dealer is still operating.

Here's a couple of on-line vendors found with a quick search.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10110&subdeptNum=10654&classNum=10656

http://www.newoutboards.com/Suzuki-2-5-hp-outboard-DF2-5SK10.html

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Andersson Marine is at 12813 Venice Blvd., Venice CA 310-823-1105

I have been taking my two small outboards to him on an annual basis for three or four years and have never had a problem until a couple of months ago. I had to make four trips to his shop and finally lucked out and found him there about mid morning on a saturday. I kept going back because he had one of my outboards. As I was leaving I made a promise to myself that I would never use him again. By the way, I told him that and he didn't seem to mind.
Who knows what I will do next year if I don't find a suitable replacement.
----the devil you know----
Bill

Sven

Seglare
Hi Loren,

Thanks, that link has been in my file for a while and the deal is almost too good to be true.

I actually asked them (just for kicks) how much they would charge for a 2-day delivery from Kentucky. I expected to be ignored but they came right back with a professionally worded reply telling me it would $494 via 2-day FedEx. I think they are the real thing. Since we might at some point need service I'd rather pay a local dealer but if we hadn't found the dealer in Long Beach with the 3.5 Nissan we would have placed the order with newoutboards.

As for Worst Marine I avoid them whenever possible. We bought our Mercury for La Petite from WM in MDR (actually 2 since we had to replace the stolen one). When we went back to find out about servicing the friction lock on the steering we found out that WM does no service and we would have to find our own Mercury service department. The one they recommended was the one that was caught fencing (a dozen ?) stolen outboards in MDR (per a very trusted EY.o member).

I really appreciate the links you looked up so please don't take my WM-diatribe as ingratitude, I just think what WM does to local chandleries everywhere is atrocious. They are the marine version of Walmart.

Once again, thanks.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
By the way, I told him that and he didn't seem to mind.
Who knows what I will do next year if I don't find a suitable replacement.

Thanks Bill. We were still hoping we might get call from him before driving to LB to pick up the Nissan, but that settles it :esad:

I wonder how he can remain an authorized Suzuki (and other) dealer with that reputation.

-Sven

Glyn Judson

Anderson Marine kind of iffy in my book.

Sven and all, Years ago I brought a Honda 2 outboard into Anderson for service, waited months to get it back and finally had to call and call and call to get it back. I finally caught him in and was told to come by to get it with an irritated tone in his voice, I swung by to be told that he'd tank tested it and it was ready to go. The bill for a carb rebuild was more than the cost of a new one (I'd already checked) and when I confronted him in that matter, he blew up and told me to forget the bill, take the motor and get out of his shop. I refused to take it at no cost paid half the bill and left. When I got it home, I removed the cover to examine the work only to see that the carb was loose and had been installed with the hardware finger tight. The throttle cable not even installed. There was no way it could have been tank tested so he'd lied to me right to my face. I put it back together myself and it tested good. Needless to say, I've never returned to Anderson Marine and I now make my Honda outboard purchases from the Outboard Shop at Isthmus Cove on Catalina Island and do my own servicing in my own garage. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Sven

Seglare
Hi Glyn,

I now make my Honda outboard purchases from the Outboard Shop at Isthmus Cove on Catalina Island and do my own servicing in my own garage.

We were with you and Marilyn when you bought the 2hp at the Isthmus :egrin:

If it weren't for the noise of the Honda (air cooled) we would have picked it. If we were to go out for a night dive we'd wake up the anchorage or at least our neighbors. It is a really neat little engine !

Did you get an actual shop manual and if so where ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Glyn Judson

Manual for the Honda 2???

Sven, No we didn't. All I've needed to do so far is to replace the plug once and do a carb cleaning from contaminated gas (too old, my fault). They're pretty darned simple machines. I know what you mean about the noise but at low revs in the morning we can get away from the boat to the dinghy dock to walk the dogs without waking anyone, I hope. Glyn

Sven

Seglare
I know what you mean about the noise but at low revs in the morning we can get away from the boat to the dinghy dock to walk the dogs without waking anyone, I hope.

I wasn't picking on you. You guys are always considerate. I just like being as quiet as possible (or wear headphones when others are around and I want to crank up the Flying Dutchman :egrin:).

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sven, you should have tried

Min-Mar Marine Center
1519 W Anaheim St
Long Beach, CA 90813-2643
(562) 590-5055

They sell new Tohatsu's and Johnson's and service all brands. I really like the Tohatsu's a couple friend's have purchased recently. Nice and quiet. A lot quieter than my 4 hp 2002 4 stroke Yamaha.

Regency in MDR sell Yamaha's
13468 BEACH AVE
MARINA DEL REY, CA

We also have in San Pedro.
Sunrise Marine They sell Mercury's and service all brands.
1600 S. Pacific, Unit 3
San Pedro, CA 90731
Tel: (310) 548-8119
http://sunrisemarineservice.com They serviced my Yamaha this year. Did a great job rebuilding the fuel pump.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Sven, you should have tried

Min-Mar Marine Center
1519 W Anaheim St
Long Beach, CA 90813-2643
(562) 590-5055

That's where we bought the Nissan 3.5 :)

Regency in MDR sell Yamaha's
13468 BEACH AVE
MARINA DEL REY, CA

Based on reliable input I would never go there :rolleyes_d:

We also have in San Pedro.
Sunrise Marine They sell Mercury's and service all brands.
1600 S. Pacific, Unit 3
San Pedro, CA 90731
Tel: (310) 548-8119
http://sunrisemarineservice.com They serviced my Yamaha this year. Did a great job rebuilding the fuel pump.

Good to know, we'll put that in our address book as the place to go for service for our new Nissan.

Two out of three ain't bad :egrin:

Thanks !

-Sven

Glyn Judson

Where not to buy an outboard.

Sven and all, I hate to sound like such a naysayer but I had a very bad, let me repeat, a VERY BAD experience with *** in MDR. But for the fact that I hadn't recorded the serial number of the used to me Evinrude 9.9 long shaft that was stolen from the transom of our E25+ some 20 years ago, the two owners of *** would have gone to jail for receiving stolen property. You see, there was a junkie going around MDR lifting (literally) outboards from boats for drug money and he was selling them to *** for $100.00 each. An investigating officer from the LA County Sheriff contacted me after noting that I'd filed a stolen property report on the outboard a short time earlier. I told him that I could easily identify the motor by virtue of the Avnet-type military electrical connector I had on the 12v starter motor cord, the male half of the female that was still on my transom. Mind you, this was AFTER buying a Yamaha 9.9 from them, the result of me telling them my tale of woe. How they were able to look me in the eyes after that, I'll never know. More comes to mind as I type this. I remember their total incompetency in ordering the new motor for me to the extent that by other means, I stumbled onto their distributor and finally had to order my own motor from them to be delivered to *** for them to now add a profit they hadn't earned to the price and then sell it to me. It was only after this debacle that the Sheriff came to me and you know the rest. Sadly, *** is at the top of my "Never buy from these thieves (literally) again" list. Glyn

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wow, sorry to hear about your misfortune Glyn. What a scam!! I did not purchase my Yamaha at *** , but at http://www.inflatableboats.net in Ventura back in 2002. When I moved down to San Pedro in 2004 and wanted to get my Yamaha serviced Regency was the closest authorized service place. I do remember them being expensive, but the service was done well and my OB was out of the shop quickly.

I have not been back since because my OB is no longer under warranty. I have had both Min-Mar and Sunrise service my OB at different times. It's always been fuel system related. First the jets on the carb and then fuel pump diaphragm. Damn Ethanol! :esad:

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Glyn,

I took the liberty of editing your post. Never know when someone from *** might google *** and find your post. No reason to risk also having to pay court costs. I think we know who not to buy from anyway :)

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
I've used Min-Mar in Wilmington for outboard service, no complaints. If I needed a new outboard, I'd probably go there to buy it.