2006 Mid Atlantic Rendezvous

Galley_Slave

Member II
The Mid Atlantic Rendezvous is coming soon

Has everyone put the Aug 5th raft on their calendar? :egrin: Get those sitters lined up!!!! (kids and pets)

CaptnNero

Accelerant
tach calibration

I'm planning on bringing my handheld laser tach to the August rendezvous in case anyone wants to calibrate their tach then. It's fairly easy to do.

Emerald

Galley_Slave said:
Has everyone put the Aug 5th raft on their calendar? :egrin: Get those sitters lined up!!!! (kids and pets)

As long as we keep them out of the rum and beer, the kids and pets really shouldn't be a problem - getting an all day babby-sitter in the summer time can be a deal breaker - and if we have any badly behaved kids, well, there's nothin' like a little keel haulin' to shape 'em right back up :devil:

Look forward to seeing a bunch of other Ericson owners on the 5th!

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Emerald

CaptnNero said:
We've got a wing keel to use on the tough ones :devil: :devil:

Ya know, this sounds like we should just make it an event for entertainment - how fast can we haul the trouble maker from one side to the other - Now, do we need a PHRF type rating system to address full keels, wing keels, etc? :D

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

therapidone

Member III
Should we charge admission?

If there is going to be keel haulin' over, er should I say under, full keels and wing keels, do you think we could charge admission to the entertainment?:devil:

Also, Spirit's "regular" (read here: not shoal draft) fin was "shaved" and a Mars Metal bulb attached...would we have to consider style points for the different types of keels?

Looking forward to meeting fellow Ericson owners, crabs, cold beer, rum, and keel haulin'!

Regards,

Ed

CaptnNero

Accelerant
No charge

You all can charge admission if you want, but I'll gladly host the keel haulin part for free!

therapidone said:
If there is going to be keel haulin' over, er should I say under, full keels and wing keels, do you think we could charge admission to the entertainment?:devil:

Also, Spirit's "regular" (read here: not shoal draft) fin was "shaved" and a Mars Metal bulb attached...would we have to consider style points for the different types of keels?

Looking forward to meeting fellow Ericson owners, crabs, cold beer, rum, and keel haulin'!

Regards,

Ed

therapidone

Member III
Any ideas as to how many? What time?

The big moment is approaching & a bunch of thoughts have been running through my head.:thinker:

Given that it's Cantler's and it's a Saturday night, maybe getting there earlier rather than at the more accepted dinner hour (whatever that is) is in order.

I'm open to earlier or later...just throwing out some thoughts here.

How many folks have dinghies? I thought I did--well, I actually DO have an inflatable, but I've just found out that I don't have a functioning foot pump for it ...so I'm guessing that unless I can find a replacement foot pump, it's probably not going to be of much use all wrinkled up and limp (sound familiar?:devil: ) even if I do install the rigid floor.:esad:

Do we have a show of hands as to how many intend to come at this point (Spirit is raising it's "hand" to indicate her participation)? Should we monitor a VHF channel?

If you're not famililar with Whitehall Bay and its shallows & the circuitous, serpentine entrance to Mill Creek, I'd suggest studying up on some charts...on the other hand, as they say, "if you haven't run aground in the Chesapeake, you haven't been sailing on the Chesapeake."

Looking forward to meeting fellow Vikings!:cheers:

Regards,

Ed:egrin:

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Evening Tide will be there or at least I will be there by land. The best raft up area on Mill Creek is just after the unmarked green shoal marker in the creek past Cantler's where there is an almost 90degree turn to port. The shoal marker is for real. Also, drawing only 3'11", don't turn to port into Martin's Cove just before Cantler's. I don't know if that is where the oyster shells go but I can assure you the is an unmarked shoal area right there. At Cantler's on Saturday th earlier the better. They even valet park on the weekends now.

See you there!!!!

Shadowfax

Member III
I'm not sure we can make it, or not, as there is a lot going on shore side.

However we do Cantler's a couple, three times a year. I find that going in before they start serving dinner, i.e. 3,4 o'clock, that the service and food is better. Stopping by again after 8 reveals an entirely different crowd. Doing Cantler's for dinner, on a Saturday night, in August, can be a daunting experience, but that might just be me.

Hope to see you all there

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Valet parking ?

Thanks but we'll park our own boat!

Annapolis E-27 said:
... At Cantler's on Saturday th earlier the better. They even valet park on the weekends now.

See you there!!!!

Last edited:

therapidone

Member III
If only I can remember...

Sean Engle said:
Just a reminder - please take a bunch of images (someone) and send me a CD, ok?

Greetings Sean,

I keep 2 cameras (one digital & one, older point-n'-shoot slr) in my backpack that I bring along with me every time we go to the boat...I have yet to take a pic this year!:redface: If I can remember, I'll try to take pics...assuming that I do, with the digital pics, I can send as attachments to emails, no? or would you prefer that I burn a CD?...and when (again, assuming I actually take pics) I take the film to be developed, I'll ask for a CD.

Regards,

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Submitting Images

No, no - it's ok. You actually have three choices:

- Email them to me, or
- Post them to me on a CD, or
- Upload them to the FTP site using MS Internet Explorer...

The only reason I suggested the CD is some people have problems using the FTP site, and often the images are too large for email (we prefer higher resolution images).

Have a great Rendezvous! I hope you guys manage to stay cool back there (I won't point out that our high/low here today is 73/54...:D )!

//sse

Emerald

Let's set a time!

Hi All,

Let's set a time for starting libations at Cantler's. In a perfect world, we would all be attending this event via water. Alas, it is not a perfect world and Emerald is suffering from mechanical propulsion issues that have me stuck in my slip, and no, don't tell me it's a sail boat, as Mill Creek is one of the longest, narrowest, twisty passages with no room for error as it has shoals and submerged piles etc. - not the place to go when you know you have serious iron genny problems, if it would even run long enough to get me up the river (the wind forecast this weekend is, well, non-existant).

So, with the long winded preamble, and also knowing that Cantler's is very busy on a Saturday, how would it sound if we started gathering at 3:30PM on Saturday afternoon? This would actually give a time we can shoot for where we know we can get a table overlooking Mill Creek to admire the Ericsons below, the beer will be plentiful and the crabs should be hot, so the festivities could begin and continue as long as we are still standing, or sitting, or ....

So, what you all say to 3:30 as a start time?

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

CaptnNero

Accelerant
3:30 good

David,

So sorry to hear about the "auxiliary" woes. As for the weather forecast, at least the temperature is supposed to drop to the mid 80's.

3:30 is a good time for us. Barring serve thunderstorm activity, KOKOMO will probably start the trip from Deale Friday evening so that should make it easier to come up Mill Creek by early afternoon.

ps - Sean, I certainly do appreciate that you didn't even point out your high/low of 73/54 ! :boohoo: This time of year I slow to the "island shuffle" in the middle of the day instead of my normal quick gate.

Emerald said:
So, what you all say to 3:30 as a start time?

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Last edited:

therapidone

Member III
Taken from the pages of great minds thinking alike...

David,

In my posting the other day, I was going to suggest 3:00 & then thought, "If I start making suggestions about timing, etc., am I going to be perceived as a control freak?" Perhaps, I was being a bit too touchy about the issue; nevertheless, I'm thinking that if we are to be AT Cantler's at 3:30, this requires at least a couple of boats having anchored and rafted up by 3:00 or so...'cuz if we wait until after having a few (or more) cold ones & our time together stretches into the night, rafting up might be more than a bit difficult.

I'm not certain yet how many Ericson sailboats are going to show up, but I do know that Cantler's dock space isn't unlimited & is only to be used while one is dining there.

Regards,

CaptnNero

Accelerant
No kidding

David, based on your comments I just took a look at a chart for Mill Creek. That first hairpin turn looks like #8 and #6 could be in somebody's yard !

It reminds me of an approach to Deltaville, Va last year on a friend's boat where there was an immediate hairpin turn that took you almost ashore. I was cool about it but one of the owners was not. With the sun overhead you could even see the bottom just over the rail.

Thanks for the heads up.

Emerald said:
... as Mill Creek is one of the longest, narrowest, twisty passages with no room for error as it has shoals and submerged piles etc. - not the place to go when you know you have serious iron genny problems, if it would even run long enough to get me up the river (the wind forecast this weekend is, well, non-existant)....

-David
Independence 31
Emerald