2006 Mid Atlantic Rendezvous

Galley_Slave

Member II
Is there any interest from the mid Atlantic Ericson group to rendezvous some time during the summer (2006)? I would be happy to organize the weekend. We would decide on a convenient location based on the number of responses and your home ports.

Emerald

Ceoa

Hi,

This sounds like a great idea. Let's see if we can't finally get the Chesapeake Ericson Owner's Association active again. I believe we've got quite a few folks in the area who share the same passion, and some water and land based events would be a great way to meet other owners and swap lies about surfing down 5 foot waves on the Chesapeake :D

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
We'll try to attend a water gathering- we're pretty busy in the summer, but we should at least be able to circle twice and throw beads or something:tongue:
It's tough for us to get out due to the racing schedule... Too bad the boat can't sail itself!
Chris

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
When you do, please take a bunch of pictures and send me a CD... :D

//sse

Emerald

So where are we on this? It would be great to get any number of us Chesapeake Vikings together, even for just an afternoon of splashing around in some cove.

What's a good location for folks, Eastern or Western shores? Should this be something simple like heading down to the Rhodes River or more energetic like we all meet in Oxford?

Let's do something, I am always amazed by the number of Ericsons I see walking around marinas in the Annapolis area. There must be at least 3 of us who would be up for some good Saturday afternoon cheer messing about in our wonderful boats - after all, there is nothing as worth while as messing around in boats (to paraphrase Wind in the Willows).

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Annapolis E-27

Member III
An afternoon on the Rhodes River will work for me or if you really want an easy raft-up we can head into Mill Creek and lunch at Cantler's :cheers:

Emerald

Hmmmm,

that sounds like a really good idea, a bunch of Vikings descending upon Cantler's (via water) for some good food and cheer - they'll never know what hit them if we do it right :devil:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

marid22

rendezvous

Sounds good to me too! and since I managed to get all the way across this great land last year to gather with the Pacific NW Vikings, if you let me know when I will really try & be there. We would travel via auto (otherwise I should have left already!), but would be happy to meet up at Cantlers.
Yes David I may ask for a little ride on the lovely lady Emerald!

Galley_Slave

Member II
I've been a bit distracted from checking this site lately, but I see that during my absence there has been some interest to rendezvous somewhere. That's terrific!
Here's the scoop on Cantlers. Neal and I are willing to go, but we just had a conversation with a Cantlers regular last week and he said the quality has gone down hill. We don't go there often enough to judge it ourselves.
Another option would be to meet either on the Rhode River as already suggested or on the West River. There are plenty of restaurants to pick from on the West.
It doesn't really matter to us where we meet. Some place new is always exciting to us.
Next, we should pick a date. How does July 15/16 sound to everyone?

therapidone

Member III
July 15-16 is out for Spirit

Greetings All,

As David knows (and some others based upon emails exchanged elsewhere), Spirit would happily join other Ericsons on the bay; however, the 15th & 16th of July are out...Spirit only enters one race per year...the Solomons overnight race from Annapolis...it starts on 7/14...takes us all night to get there based upon 2 previous entries plus crewing on another's boat 3 years ago...then we join in the partying all day Saturday & somehow wake up on Sunday to make our way back to Selby Bay, just upstream a bit from the mouth of the South River.

Anyone else entering in Solomons this year?

Regards,

Ed

Galley_Slave

Member II
I forgot about the race. We threaten to join it every year, but haven't tried it yet. Let's try another date then. The first weekend in August? We may all end up motoring!!! We'll have to stock up on the margarita fixins and the gin and tonics to keep us cool.

therapidone

Member III
August Works & Solomons Race

Unless something drastic happens between now and then, the first weekend in August would work just fine for us. The Rhode River idea is just a hop, skip, and a jump for us to make & affords great anchorages. There are several restaurants in Galesville just past where the Rhode enters the West River, but I'm not all that familiar with anchoring in the West (we've always tied up at an open slip at the end of the dock to dine at the Pirate's Cove restaurant) River. Oxford and its environs along the Tred Avon River is a little more of a sail to reach & has some restaurants to commend, chief among them, in my mind, is The Robert Morris Inn. I don't know anything about anchoring near Oxford besides the possible sites (Goldsborough, Trippe, and Plaindealing creeks) that I mentioned in an email in another site, but there are a number of marinas with transient slips available once one enters Town Creek.

Incidentally, with absolutely no racing chops to my credit except for Solomons, my reasons for entering Solomons Race include:
a) the attraction of sailing all night long down the bay,

b) challenging our navigation skills in the dark to avoid the skinny water & fish traps while looking for familiar lights/landmarks on shore,

c) monitoring ch 13 on the VHF to listen to the freighter captains' humorous discussions of the mess that they see on their radar as they make their ways either up or down the bay,

d) avoiding the freighters and tugs that are either pushing or towing barges,
e) dining on cold fried chicken, oatmeal & raisin cookies, beer, and/or dark and stormies for breakfast :egrin:, and
f) the great partying that goes on at Zahniser's Marina all day Saturday.

We also know a number of other entrants as well as some of the volunteers, who are all members of Eastport Yacht Club in Annapolis, er, excuse me, in the Maritime Republic of Eastport, running the event at Zahnisers.

Even though Spirit is only a 30-footer, we have a crew of 4 so that watches (4 hours each unless an all-hands-on-deck circumstance should arise) consist of 2 people.

Our only racing goal is crossing the finish line without incident. You really should consider entering it if any or all of the above reasons appeal to you.

Regards,

Ed

therapidone

Member III
Mill Creek, Cantlers, and hot, heavy air

Annapolis E-27 said:
August huh? Good hot, heavy air and light wind. Motor slow so my little
YSB-8 can keep up. :D
Mill Creek and Cantlers sounds great to me as an idea for a get-together of Ericsons, too.:egrin: The hearsay :devil: about how Cantlers has declined causes me to point out that the main attractions are the crabs (how can you mess up crabs??) and its location overlooking Mill Creek. I've been there several times over the past 2 years & the service was ok and the crabs were great...I don't know too much about the rest of the menu, so Cantlers is still high on my list of sites.

As for the hot, heavy air in August, last year we had 4 or 5 great days of sailing during August (we usually only get out on the weekends)...much to our surprise! So, anything is possible. My biggest concern is not so much not being able to sail & having to motor to a get-together, it's how poorly I sleep in hot, humid air aboard the boat at that time of the year.:boohoo:

Regards,

Ed

Emerald

First weekend in August works for me also. I think I am willing to risk Cantler's and do a first hand evaluation on the crabs and cherry stones etc. Not to mention it's hard to mess up cold beer on an August day.

So, looking at the above posts, do we have a date and place at last for the first weekend in August in Mill Creek in front of (as much as makes sense) Cantler's to stage a water based Viking assault via raft-up on Maryland Blue Crabs etc? (of course, those who can only make it by land can do that to).

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Governor's Cup...

We'll have Sequoia out for Governor's Cup (Annapolis to St. Mary's) leaving that Friday evening, but we'll be in Naptown on Thursday night if anyone wants to grab a beer at Boatyard or Davis's. Also, the start of the Governor's cup is always impressive on Friday night just outside the harbor at Annapolis Red #2. http://www.smcm.edu/govcup/
Have a great time and eat some crabs and cold one's for us :egrin:

-Below is a shot from last year's Gov Cup.

Attachments

• DSC_48771.JPG
    DSC_48771.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 147

CaptnNero

Accelerant
We like your Thursday night idea too. Peg (Galley_Slave) and I can drive up Thursday evening before you guys take off for the other overnighter.

Your awesome photo reminds me of when lightning was striking all around us on one of our boats, but that's another story ;) .

Chris Miller said:
We'll have Sequoia out for Governor's Cup (Annapolis to St. Mary's) leaving that Friday evening, but we'll be in Naptown on Thursday night if anyone wants to grab a beer at Boatyard or Davis's. Also, the start of the Governor's cup is always impressive on Friday night just outside the harbor at Annapolis Red #2. http://www.smcm.edu/govcup/
Have a great time and eat some crabs and cold one's for us :egrin:

-Below is a shot from last year's Gov Cup.

Annapolis E-27

Member III
First weekend in August is great! If you head past Cantler's on Mill Creek and turn to port around the shoal marker there is a wide spot in the creek to raft up and you are out of the Cantler's traffic and PWCs.

Emerald

Chesapeake Ericson summer raftup 8/5/2006

After much plotting amongst several Ericson owners, there will be a raft up of Ericsons on the Chesapeake on Saturday afternoon, August 5th on Mill Creek, within rowing distance of Cantler's. This will be an event that can be attended by water or land. I anticipate that there should be many hungry Vikings clamoring for crabs, clams, cold beer etc. after braving the first weekend afternoon of August. Let's plan on gathering mid to late afternoon for some August cheer. Here is a link to Cantler's Website:

http://www.cantlers.com/index.shtml

Of note, if properly located, Mill Creek does have some decent spots where those interested can anchor overnight leaving no end to when the festivities conclude. Post back here with questions etc.

Also, I will be posting information shortly regarding another Chesapeake Ericson event - the 3rd annual Sailboat Show Rendezvous. This will be Saturday late afternoon, October 7, at a location to be determined. For some preliminary information on the show itself, check here:

http://www.usboat.com/sailboat/information.htm

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Galley_Slave

Member II
I'm pretty sure CaptnNero (Neal) and I will be overnighting that weekend. Looking forward to sharing stories with other Ericson devotees.