1984 ericson 30+ parts no.?

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Yes access to trans/coupler/shaft area is no fun on the 30+. What year is your boat ? There was some design changes mid 84 which does affect access path. I have the earlier version and could "boat yoga" myself in there with my feet towards the stern bent around the water heater after I slid the WH to starboard. I have replaced my coupler, shaft, & installed a dripless. I have since removed the water heater which is another saga as mine would not fit through the laz whole. I needed to remove the outer shell to get it out :). Good luck and let us know how it goes. On a more happy note I will tell you that the E30+ will out perform ALL those boats you mentioned by leaps and bounds !

juni

Member I
Yes access to trans/coupler/shaft area is no fun on the 30+. What year is your boat ? There was some design changes mid 84 which does affect access path. I have the earlier version and could "boat yoga" myself in there with my feet towards the stern bent around the water heater after I slid the WH to starboard. I have replaced my coupler, shaft, & installed a dripless. I have since removed the water heater which is another saga as mine would not fit through the laz whole. I needed to remove the outer shell to get it out :). Good luck and let us know how it goes. On a more happy note I will tell you that the E30+ will out perform ALL those boats you mentioned by leaps and bounds !
No doubt on performance, after buying, sailed 6 wks no problem, it was after hitching to dock and exploring her inside that I realized the interior design is not ideal for comfort. Head on the C30 is bigger than galley on E30+, mine be 1984. Engine access is not possible on the E30+. The C30 interior is well designed for both comfort and work. Slower than the E30+ but I can't access tranny to install shifter cable nor fix stuffing box, leaving me stuck on dock until I learn something new, so although it is a goog sailing vessel I can't sail nyc waters without the engine. Who has any info on how to access tranny, stuffing box without having to remove water heater? Prefer sailing at 4kn than not sailing at all which is what is happening to me now. May be a novice but the C30 allowed for all that and more, fun sailing winters then going below where it be spacious, to chill. Too much water near engine from stuffing box, not what I paid for, albeit I bought from a shyster who lied, deceived, lucky I am too old to fix that issue myself, all this has contributed to my wanting to sink thus boat, wouldn't feel right selling it to anyone, I know, im frustrated, didn't become a sailor to find reasons to whine, yet, here I be, stuck, beautiful sailing weather in nyc but I be stuck, thanks for the reply

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
No doubt on performance, after buying, sailed 6 wks no problem, it was after hitching to dock and exploring her inside that I realized the interior design is not ideal for comfort. Head on the C30 is bigger than galley on E30+, mine be 1984. Engine access is not possible on the E30+. The C30 interior is well designed for both comfort and work. Slower than the E30+ but I can't access tranny to install shifter cable nor fix stuffing box, leaving me stuck on dock until I learn something new, so although it is a goog sailing vessel I can't sail nyc waters without the engine. Who has any info on how to access tranny, stuffing box without having to remove water heater? Prefer sailing at 4kn than not sailing at all which is what is happening to me now. May be a novice but the C30 allowed for all that and more, fun sailing winters then going below where it be spacious, to chill. Too much water near engine from stuffing box, not what I paid for, albeit I bought from a shyster who lied, deceived, lucky I am too old to fix that issue myself, all this has contributed to my wanting to sink thus boat, wouldn't feel right selling it to anyone, I know, im frustrated, didn't become a sailor to find reasons to whine, yet, here I be, stuck, beautiful sailing weather in nyc but I be stuck, thanks for the reply
l
Juni,
No one would disagree that a Catalina 30 has more room than an E30+. They are great for young families or old folks who just want to be out on the water.
But an E30+ is a well built, beautiful sailboat that sails like a dream in both light air and strong wind.
We have had ours for over 17 years, and have done lots of mechanical work on it, not always easy, but definitely doable.
We have replaced the transmission, the dripless shaft seal, exhaust hose, water heater, heat exchanger, various hoses, water pumps, filters, done oil changes, tranny fluid changes and more. All of that is accessible through the port cockpit locker. Yes, it's tight, but I have had three different mechanics in there over the years, and now do most of the work myself at age 72.
I can't understand why you're having so much trouble with this, and I would fire the mechanic who couldn't make it work.
Frank

juni

Member I
hello, sailing her isn't an issue, it be the reason i bought it along with giving previous owner benefit of the doubt. i can't access the tranny to change shifter cable, mechanic couldn't either, didn't charge me for trying, suggested i sell it. I don't even know if i have to remove pedestal for installation of cables. Am not familiar with tech, appears i ask my questions wrong, haven't found an answer to how to install the cables on ericson 30 plus, not only is ericson yachts defunct, so is yacht specialties, wonder why it went bust, Catalina produced over 6K C30s, aye, she was designed with comfort in mind hence slower than Panacea but if i can't use engine i can't sail, feel stupid having read this sentiment considering i be a sailor. it's unfortunate that where i sail the engine is necessary. i am a small man, feel like a giraffe when attempting to reach the tranny. Have a lot of water in bilge, pump works but no suction from hose, connections are good, don't know where else to look because there isn't a service manual for this boat. Wetvac action is depressing, water pressure pump still not producing enough pressure for water to flow from taps, on;y drips. Didn't need the radar when i sailed her this summer, believed the owner when he said it worked. Raytheon radar doesn't turn on. Was considering autopilot but will fix cable, sail her for another year then upgrade. Doubt she'd make it to PR from nyc, convinced step mast isn't ideal for offshore cruising. The bilge water isn't from the mast, convinced it's from the shaft, found water near engine, pool of water near the stuffing box, how to access it? My third sailboat, appears DIY for this boat was not on their minds when designing the interior, hiowever, even a pro mechanic couldn't find a way to reach tranny, much less the stuffing box. Will make dripless if possible, how you and your mechanics managed to access your tranny is unimaginable to me. Water heater, hoses, all in the way, perhaps your setup is different. I love working on my boats, how else do i ask how to install shifter cable on ericson 30 plus? Thanks for the encouraging reply. if i didn't need this to live i wouldn't be doing it, three years self exile because of sustained sub arachnoid hemorrhage, sailing is how i keep alive, allows me to feel my recovery was worth attempting, sailing is all i could remember after regaining consciousness two weeks after the crash. Sailing, writing, a pussycat was all i needed to feel comfortable in society again, bought Panacea after losing the C30 to a winter storm last year, two days ago, the storm with 50kn+winds destroyed the dock i'm hitched to, if i had an operational engine would've hitched to a mooring ball, docks are not ideal for sailboats under 40'. Wish i can learn to send pics on this forum. fair winds...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
defunct, so is yacht specialties, wonder why it went bust
Easy answer, and while it's a shame they did not continue, the short answer is that they lost the competitive 'war' with Edson. This all happened sometime in the 90's. Established product, but the Yacht Specialties company (name and assets) was acquired, perhaps more than once. That's led to the demise of many a fine product, in many different fields. The shifter cables, tho, are still available from other vendors... because they are kind of a generic product. After about two decades it's not uncommon to have to replace the cables on any boat, sail or power.
The bilge water isn't from the mast, convinced it's from the shaft, found water near engine, pool of water near the stuffing box,
As for the bilge water, from the spar if it is keel stepped, and from the stuffing box (when the engine is turning the shaft). All boats, regardless of brand, with a keel stepped spar, will have rain water wandering down the inside of the mast and slowly accumulating in the bilge.

A deck stepped mast will not let water in. Unless.... the step or wiring pass-thru is leaking, and that should not be happening

As for pictures... I suggest being deliberate. First, move the images from your camera (or phone) to your computer desktop. Re-lable the image with a title that makes sense so you can spot quickly, like "engine" or transmission, or whatever.... the goofy little ID letter/numbers that the individual image has from the cam may seem indecipherable when attached to the image file.

Then, when you are composing a message in a thread here, look for the little paper clip icon, lower left of screen. Click on it to "attach files". That will open up a standard dialog box on your screen; navigate to the file you want, select it and tap the icon to upload it.
Th is may seem puzzling until you have done it once or twice, and then it becomes second nature.

Good luck!

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Juni, you could also be getting water in through the pedestal, through the aft dorade vents and leaky hoses, leaking cockpit drains, and mast, (even though it is deck stepped water can come in through the wiring hole) among other places such as the stuffing box. You may be able to run a new shifter and throttle cable down from the pedestal. If you can remove the cables from the top with a piece of strong string attached as a tagline so you can pull the cables into place from below the new ones should hopefully go back the same way.

As for access, yes the 30+ access is terrible. Unfortunately to get to the stuffing box and the transmission (to change the fluid which should be done frequently) you may have to temporarily remove the water heater and other items down there. However, depending on what is attached to the bulkhead between quarterberth and engine room you may be able to make a removable panel which will solve all the access issues. A lot of trouble up front to make it, but it gives you unlimited access in the future. Here is a photo of my removable panel, link to details in Post #13 above.

1705017654872.png

juni

Member I
Easy answer, and while it's a shame they did not continue, the short answer is that they lost the competitive 'war' with Edson. This all happened sometime in the 90's. Established product, but the Yacht Specialties company (name and assets) was acquired, perhaps more than once. That's led to the demise of many a fine product, in many different fields. The shifter cables, tho, are still available from other vendors... because they are kind of a generic product. After about two decades it's not uncommon to have to replace the cables on any boat, sail or power.

As for the bilge water, from the spar if it is keel stepped, and from the stuffing box (when the engine is turning the shaft). All boats, regardless of brand, with a keel stepped spar, will have rain water wandering down the inside of the mast and slowly accumulating in the bilge.

A deck stepped mast will not let water in. Unless.... the step or wiring pass-thru is leaking, and that should not be happening

As for pictures... I suggest being deliberate. First, move the images from your camera (or phone) to your computer desktop. Re-lable the image with a title that makes sense so you can spot quickly, like "engine" or transmission, or whatever.... the goofy little ID letter/numbers that the individual image has from the cam may seem indecipherable when attached to the image file.

Then, when you are composing a message in a thread here, look for the little paper clip icon, lower left of screen. Click on it to "attach files". That will open up a standard dialog box on your screen; navigate to the file you want, select it and tap the icon to upload it.
Th is may seem puzzling until you have done it once or twice, and then it becomes second nature.

Good luck!
Thank you for your patience, still can't reach tranny nor get suction form bilge pump, appears i'll be working rather than sailing her this winter

juni

Member I
Juni, you could also be getting water in through the pedestal, through the aft dorade vents and leaky hoses, leaking cockpit drains, and mast, (even though it is deck stepped water can come in through the wiring hole) among other places such as the stuffing box. You may be able to run a new shifter and throttle cable down from the pedestal. If you can remove the cables from the top with a piece of strong string attached as a tagline so you can pull the cables into place from below the new ones should hopefully go back the same way.

As for access, yes the 30+ access is terrible. Unfortunately to get to the stuffing box and the transmission (to change the fluid which should be done frequently) you may have to temporarily remove the water heater and other items down there. However, depending on what is attached to the bulkhead between quarterberth and engine room you may be able to make a removable panel which will solve all the access issues. A lot of trouble up front to make it, but it gives you unlimited access in the future. Here is a photo of my removable panel, link to details in Post #13 above.

View attachment 48960
The bulkhead has fuel pump, cables attached to it on the engine room side. Will removing WH make it useless?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here is a link that applies to rearranging parts and pieces in a confined area like a sailboat.
In prehistoric times when I was young, we all had little plastic versions of this puzzle. It informally prepared us for many mysteries of adulthood. :rolleyes:
(A number of which remain unsolved...)

Everywhere that I have relocated a part or system in our boat, I usually had to reconsider where another part needed to move to, and sometimes a simple-sounding move caused more than one other move.
So, consider just where pumps, wires, and systems really need to be, and then (often with little cardboard mockups) do some rearranging. If there is an Ericson owner near you, buy 'em a lunch and invite an opinion. :) Over the years a number of friends from around our club marina have contributed ideas after seeing our boat, and sometimes alerted me to which of my ideas were, um... ill considered.

ps: add a "sig line" to your posts to show boat year/model, engine specifics, and sailing area. This helps others to help you.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Will removing WH make it useless?
I removed the water heater to improve access. While hot water would be nice, I haven’t really needed it, and if I did decide to ever get one I would try to relocate it to maintain access to that area. I think easy access to the aft end of the engine and the shaft seal is worth whatever sacrifices have to be made to open that area up.

The bulkhead that I made removable had the fuel filters and the fuel pump attached to the engine side. I relocated the fuel pump closer to the front of the engine compartment below the bulkhead (circled in red) and dropped the fuel filters down below the bulkhead level (yellow arrow). My engine cables run under the fuel tank and are just lying on the hull not attached to anything.

IMG_1693.jpeg

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I removed the water heater to improve access
I did the same. While my head technically has a shower in it....I haven't & wouldn't use it in any case. I've never missed having hot water and the space/access is just too valuable under the cockpit. You still have to figure out which way to contort but night and day without the WH.

Frank Langer

I have kept the hot water heater as it's nice for doing dishes. I still have full access to the transmission to change fluid regularly and to coolant hoses, packless shaft seal and heat exchanger to replace the pencil zinc, all done by laying with my feet back toward the transom laying on my side to access these parts. By reversing, so my feet are at the transmission end I can access the rudder post to grease the zerks and cable, check the hose clamps at the transom and drain the hot water heater if necessary.
I'm 5'8", weigh 158 lbs., 72 years old--yes it's tight in the cockpit locker, but no big deal. For a large football player, yes it's a big deal! :)
Frank

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For the record, it's common on auxiliary sailboats to have to move stuff for engine access. Sometimes the engine itself has to be moved.

There's usually a way if there's a will. So don't hesitate to take on awkwardness and contortions, its pretty much standard.

On the E38, for instance, any real work around the shaft coupler requires removing the water lift muffler and hose, and unbolting the water heater so it can be pushed out of the way. Adds some time, but becomes routine.

The prettier a boat is, the more likely to have cramped access (a classic example is the Bermuda 40). You have a pretty boat.

Frank Langer

I took pictures today while doing some light maintenance in the port locker, where I access the transmission, heat exchanger, water heater, steering cables and rudder post.
In the first pic you can see that the exhaust hose is somewhat in the way, but by leaning in it with my left hand, my right hand is free to check the tranny fluid level, the PSS, and the rear of the engine while laying on my left side with feet towards the stern.
The next pic shows the stern area with strong quadrant, cables, and rudder post for lubricating all these. I lay on my right side with feet forward to the exhaust hose and have no problem reaching back there. I am 5' 8", about 158 lbs., 72 years old.
Maybe the pics will help you figure out access in your boat, and I recognize that your boat may be organized a bit differently.
Frank

Attachments

• 20240205_143033.jpg
    20240205_143033.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240205_143053.jpg
    20240205_143053.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 19

juni

Member I
Hello, what is the benefit to keeping the water heater? I don't feel it's necessary considering I never need hot water. It's warm enough for washing dishes. Winters don't allow to keep tanks full, heater goes unused. Mine works really well, water runs hot within seconds but I need the space to access tranny, stuffing box. Will it be worth anything after removal? Should I keep it in storage or landfill? I am happy without it, only asking because I don't want to harm Panaces with my poor intellect, thank you for your patience

Frank Langer

Hello, what is the benefit to keeping the water heater? I don't feel it's necessary considering I never need hot water. It's warm enough for washing dishes. Winters don't allow to keep tanks full, heater goes unused. Mine works really well, water runs hot within seconds but I need the space to access tranny, stuffing box. Will it be worth anything after removal? Should I keep it in storage or landfill? I am happy without it, only asking because I don't want to harm Panaces with my poor intellect, thank you for your patience
Juni,
The water heater is only useful if you are staying at shorepower and want to do dishes, have a shower, wash hands in warm water. If those are not needed, you can remove the water heater, which will give you more space in the cockpit locker.
I sold my fifteen year old still working water heater for $50.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Keeping the hot water heater on board is going to be a personal choice for sure.
Do keep in mind that an E-30 is a large enough boat that owners (future owners for instance) will expect to have it there and functional.
Back in the real world of maintaining and servicing all of the systems, while bending yourself into a pretzel, the work can be arduous. :(
I have no idea where else you might install a modern high efficiency water heater, like one of the more compact models from Isotemp, but sometimes a move/change will solve some problems.
I moved the factory water heater location in our boat many years ago. I found room for a slightly smaller size that suits our cruising plans very well. Also..... a new high efficiency smaller tank may fit where the present OEM larger one was installed - that might alleviate some stress, also.
Good luck, whatever your decision.

Last edited:

juni

Member I
Keeping the hot water heater on board is going to be a personal choice for sure.
Do keep in mind that an E-30 is a large enough boat that owners (future owners for instance) will expect to have it there and functional.
Back in the real world of maintaining and servicing all of the systems, while bending yourself into a pretzel, the work can be arduous. :(
I have no idea where else you might install a modern high efficiency water heater, like one of the more compact models from Isotemp, but sometimes a move/change will solve some problems.
I moved the factory water heater location in our boat many years ago. I found room for a slightly smaller size that suits our cruising plans very well. Also..... a new high efficiency smaller tank may fit where the present OEM larger one was installed - that might alleviate some stress, also.
Good luck, whatever your decision
Summers are so hot, the water is warm enough for dishes, showers. Will keep in storage until ready to sell. Will focus on sailing as much as possible, upgrade later. Because this marina lacks everything but slips I have to find a yard to haul out and fix bilge pump, no suction from hose in bilge, it worked, don't know if I inadvertently flipped a seacock, somewhere. The pressure pump is new yet water only drops from tap. Mechanic will install shifter cable, hope I don't have to remove pedestal for cable connection. Thanks for reminder to keep heater for future sale. Reason I love liveaboard life is because it allows me to own less and be happy. Fortunately the apt is big enough for storage. Want to gift a vintage Yamaha SR250, done with riding, she needs a carburetor refit. Don't know where I go yet, have to find new berth, less than a week, need to haul out, in any event, have a fantastic season, fair winds...