1984 ericson 30+ parts no.?

juni

Member I
Does anyone know what the part no. for shifter control cable on ericson 30+ to universal m3 20 with hurts transmission is? Does anyone know if there is an owners manual for 1984 ericson 30+? Feeling stupid after noticing PO deceived me, put a ericson 30 + cover on a manual for a different ericson yacht. Feel stupid believing I bought a good sailboat, difficult locating bilge pump, I'm sorry, have worked on all my boats, never had this much trouble getting info.Thank you for your patience

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Does anyone know what the part no. for shifter control cable on ericson 30+ to universal m3 20 with hurts transmission is? Does anyone know if there is an owners manual for 1984 ericson 30+? Feeling stupid after noticing PO deceived me, put a ericson 30 + cover on a manual for a different ericson yacht. Feel stupid believing I bought a good sailboat, difficult locating bilge pump, I'm sorry, have worked on all my boats, never had this much trouble getting info.Thank you for your patience
It looks like there are some deposits in Resources if you search E30plus. I didn't see a full manual. There are quite a few engine manuals. Maybe the cable information would be in those? Likely one of the 30+ owners can give you more info.
Cheers,
Jeff

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the manual cover is incorrect, that does not seem like the awfullest problem to have. Are there other reasons to believe that you did not buy a 'good' boat? Most of the E-30+ owners seem quite pleased with theirs.
The site should have some info you can d/l, and other owners can likely help out.
(Love your reference to a "hurts" transmission, BTW. The old Hurst Model 50 was not one of Universal's better ideas.)

Speaking of factory manuals in general, our '88 came with a partial set of pages, all photo copied from typed and sketched originals. It was helpful, but no way like a real "owners manual" I was used to buying to go with my used 1967 Volvo 122S, from the local dealer. :rolleyes:

Hang in there, starting with whatever projects are needed just to safely get under way, to more repairs/upgrades that contribute to comfort and livability, things will get better.

Questions about the best shift (or throttle) cable seem to come up regularly. Look up at the Search icon, upper right on your screen. Enter 'shift cable' and you will have quite a few threads to read thru......

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We love our 1984 E30+ that we've now owned for 17 years. These boats are well built and sail so well in both light and heavier winds. I have never seen a manual, though manuals for other Ericson models are often also helpful, as the mechanisms or systems are often similar. The resources section on this site has some good info on the plumbing and electrical systems for the E30+.
Also, there is so much knowledge, experience and wisdom on this site, so ask questions often as you learn about your boat.
Frank

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Try the E28 manual. Similar boat and the manual seems pretty close on most things. And if anyone finds a 30+ manual please post it!

woolamaloo

Member III
When the control cable failed on my 30+, it was replaced with a Dometic SeaStar Xtreme Control Cable. CCX63312

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
When the control cable failed on my 30+, it was replaced with a Dometic SeaStar Xtreme Control Cable. CCX63312
I purchased the Dometic SeaStar Control Cable also years ago. When I purchased Discovery, the cable sheath was shot and the internal cable was not internal anymore.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Got wheel steering pedestal? If so, here.

Probably just a Teleflex or Morse cable, standard, which you can buy on line after measuring your present one. Or take the old one to West Marine for replacement.

Numerous threads here at search Control Cables, or similar.

As was said, similar Ericson models have much in common, so other manuals help. But the real Ericson/Olson "manual" is this forum, so don't hesitate to use the Search function (and Google) for 20 years of assembled information.

juni

Member I
Wishntomth
It looks like there are some deposits in Resources if you search E30plus. I didn't see a full manual. There are quite a few engine manuals. Maybe the cable information would be in those? Likely one of the 30+ owners can give you more info.
Cheers,
Jeff
thank you

juni

Member I
thank you for all the replies regarding this sailboat. Wouldn't have bought it if had known it be impossible to find owners manual, in adition to all navigational equipment not working. The bilge pump location also perturbs me, my third sailboat and never heard of a diaphragm pump located feet from the bilge which isn't big enough for a rule pump. The previous owner lied about a few things knowing i am a sailort with a disability. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and this experience has literallly pissed off friends and family who care about me. I'll be alright, Panacea is mine and time to forget how much better it was on Windslip a Catalina 30 designed for both sailing and comfort. I cannot find anything on the Ericson 30+ other than references to other manuals. The manual for Ericson 32 was included but it isn't the same. Location of shore power panel is not below the DC panel, there isn't a pump in the bilge, etc, wanted to spend time sailing not feeling stupid for believing the coward who pretended to work with disabled vets and children. Now i know why he didn't sell before me. Considering it has similar dimensions to the C30 it appears they lacked the imagination to make the interior as spacious as the C30. Am not a pro, wasn't raised in yacht clubs but have had 3 including this one and feel this was not a wise decision. More difficult accessing wiring, engine, bilge pump, hoses than my Oday and Catalina, considering the trouble with what i can work with i am expecting the rigging to be an issue. Supposed to be 5yr old rigging with 5 yr old sails but probably forged the receipts to sell her for more than what i agreed to pay. i just feel stupid, thank you for your patience, fair winds and following seas

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The bilge pump location also perturbs me, my third sailboat and never heard of a diaphragm pump located feet from the bilge which isn't big enough for a rule pump.

This is a superior installation in my opinion, and was the original setup on some Ericsons. Many discussions of diaphragm vs. submersible in Search. Full discussion here.

I think your other worries will fade in time, as no sailboat is perfect and the Ericson compromises often turn out to work in the long run.

Go here to download these 30+ docs:

30+ Capture.JPG

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Juni, I am sorry that your purchasing experience has been disappointing. It sounds incredibly frustrating. I have had similar experiences, even to the point of the surveyor (I suspect) collaborating with the broker to overlook major sink-the-boat type issues. I hope that once you are able work through some of the maintenance items your experience with the boat will improve. The 30+ is a sweet sailing boat. It is a little cramped on the inside for my liking as well and with limited storage and access to some areas (check out my blog about improving engine access here https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/e30-stern-access-pt-1.717/, https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/e30-stern-access-pt-2.718/ ), but all that is more than offset by how well she sails.

Regarding the missing manual- I too would like to see a 30+ manual, but am not sure how useful it would actually be. Those of us with 30+ models (and many other models) have noticed significant equipment differences between models, even on the same year/version boat (for example the engine on my late 1984 boat is a different model than on Frank Langers late 1984 boat). There were different equipment options available from the factory when the boat was commissioned and then of course previous owners have modified the electrical, plumbing, electronics and other systems over the last 40 years. So the manual wouldn't cover many of those things. What we do have is a great community of knowledgeable Ericson owners here who have tons of experience with fixing or replacing all the systems, and are more than willing to help you figure stuff out. In short, this site is the owners manual!

I encourage you to spend time looking through this site for how others have managed the items you find that need work. There is a ton of information here but it can take some digging to find. And of course ask lots of questions. You'll get good advice.

Also, it sounds like you have a 1984 model, but Ericson changed the deck molds sometime in 1984. Do you have the cabin top mounted traveler or the bridge deck mounted traveler? The cabin top mounted traveler model with the chamfered edge cockpit seating and the formica on the chart table is the later version.

Doug

juni

Member I
I concur, she is a fantastic sailboat, not designed with comfort in mind, the lack of grab rail on portside, the table bolted to sole, the lack of stowage, location of bilge pump, steering from a defunct company, location of engine, the small bilge, was so busy sailing her after purchase I told myself I can compromise but lack of manual with diagram of interior, poor pressure from water pump is disappointing, I blame myself, read good things about her and with 5yr old sails and standing rigging convinced me it was worth it, my cat loves her, I move my cat hence can compromise to get my skills up then sail to PR with her. Figure she's not designed for long cruises but have sailed offshore 5 days without feeling need to reach port, had to eventually to dispose of cat poop, easier to sail compared to the C30 but do miss the open, spacious cabin with a galley, hope I can replace bilge pump, always had dry bilge, now with Panacea there's always water, was told by PO it is normal drip from stuffing box, don't like it, don't think it be normal, is it possible to fix stuffing box whilst in the slip? Don't want to haul out, prefer sailing after September. Thank you for your insight

juni

Member I
Juni, I am sorry that your purchasing experience has been disappointing. It sounds incredibly frustrating. I have had similar experiences, even to the point of the surveyor (I suspect) collaborating with the broker to overlook major sink-the-boat type issues. I hope that once you are able work through some of the maintenance items your experience with the boat will improve. The 30+ is a sweet sailing boat. It is a little cramped on the inside for my liking as well and with limited storage and access to some areas (check out my blog about improving engine access here https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/e30-stern-access-pt-1.717/, https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/e30-stern-access-pt-2.718/ ), but all that is more than offset by how well she sails.

Regarding the missing manual- I too would like to see a 30+ manual, but am not sure how useful it would actually be. Those of us with 30+ models (and many other models) have noticed significant equipment differences between models, even on the same year/version boat (for example the engine on my late 1984 boat is a different model than on Frank Langers late 1984 boat). There were different equipment options available from the factory when the boat was commissioned and then of course previous owners have modified the electrical, plumbing, electronics and other systems over the last 40 years. So the manual wouldn't cover many of those things. What we do have is a great community of knowledgeable Ericson owners here who have tons of experience with fixing or replacing all the systems, and are more than willing to help you figure stuff out. In short, this site is the owners manual!

I encourage you to spend time looking through this site for how others have managed the items you find that need work. There is a ton of information here but it can take some digging to find. And of course ask lots of questions. You'll get good advice.

Also, it sounds like you have a 1984 model, but Ericson changed the deck molds sometime in 1984. Do you have the cabin top mounted traveler or the bridge deck mounted traveler? The cabin top mounted traveler model with the chamfered edge cockpit seating and the formica on the chart table is the later version.

Doug
Aye, she is the 1984 model with traveler on cabin top, double spreaders, fractional, with a universal m3 20, Yacht Specialties steering, Raytheon radar that appears to not work, I just have to accept I was deceived and keep it moving, too old to put be reckless and bring Murphy's law to the coward

juni

Member I
The bilge pump location also perturbs me, my third sailboat and never heard of a diaphragm pump located feet from the bilge which isn't big enough for a rule pump.

This is a superior installation in my opinion, and was the original setup on some Ericsons. Many discussions of diaphragm vs. submersible in Search. Full discussion here.

I think your other worries will fade in time, as no sailboat is perfect and the Ericson compromises often turn out to work in the long run.

Go here to download these 30+ docs:

View attachment 48189
Thank you for your reply and your patience. I did buy her to get my skills up for long distance cruising singlehanded. After purchase sailed for 6 wks then broke control cable and had to find berth to work on her, it's when I learned I'd been a fool to have believed the PO, lack of manual, nav electronics don't work and not getting pressure for water, heater works but useless when the tap just drips, read the article on diaphragm vs centrifugal, don't want water in bilge and have been lucky to have not had that problem with my first two sloops. Was told it's normal drip from stuffing box but it doesn't feel right, small bilge, no space for a rule with lever, notice the hose in bilge is the foam type, will replace, is it possible to make ice box a working fridge? Installed a fridge on the space in the galley, have to remove ladder whenever opening fridge but it will do for now, I want to liveaboard and sail, I'm in nyc and makes more sense to live on my sailboat, sail it whenever I please than paying ludicrous rent fees for a box with windows, the city is so much more fun to see from the water, no neighbours to avoid, no need to wear mask, just my cat and me and a sailboat that is fun sailing but not designed for liveaboard action, again thank you for all the info, I be stupid hence I will be asking more. Why is there no access to the inside of water tank? How to clean it if there isn't any way to see the inside? Do I have the option to flush overboard when beyond 4miles? How do I know what to look for to see if I can do that rather than use holding tank? Is there a store that sells the shower hose to fit the sink in the head? Need a longer hose to shower on deck, cat uses the head and will not like me showering there, thank you for your patience

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Juni,
As many have said, the E30+ is a great boat, much better designed and built than either
a Catalina 30 or an O'day, both of which I've sailed.
None of the problems you list above are insurmountable, so to start on a few:
The nav equipment not working could be as simple as a loose or corroded connection. If you know how to use a Multi meter you can problem solve along the wiring. Raymarine has a very helpful tech department which you may find useful.
The pressure water issue could be as simple as checking to see if the pump will come on. If not, is there voltage at the pump, a broken fuse, loose connection, plugged vent hose, enough water in the tank? If necessary, a new water pump is less than $200.
If your boat has a stuffing box rather than a packless shaft seal, it should drip a bit while the engine is running to keep the shaft from overheating in the stuffing box, but it should not drip with the engine off. As long as there is a pick up strainer somewhere in the bilge (original was attached to a red hose) having the bilge pump located separately in the quarter berth in a porthole is good, as it keeps wires and pump out of the wet bilge. These pumps can last 20 years, and if needed can be bought for about $150.
For your ice box/refrigeration, you can buy icebox conversion kits (mine is a Norcold, which has now worked well for 14 years, but there are also other brands), but they do cost about $1,000 (still much cheaper than your NYC rent).
Your lack of access to the water tanks can also be readily solved. The main tank is under the starboard settee, and I if you have the optional tank, it's under the large locker under the v berth cushions, but you have to empty that locker, remove the screws holding the floor piece in place, lift it out and you'll see the tank. Cut a hole in the top of the tanks with a jig saw and cover the hole with a plastic port (about $10 each at a chandlery). The port comes with a frame with screw holes, so just caulk the rim with a good sealant and screw it down. The port unscrews from the frame with a simple twist when you want to check tank level or clean the tank.
Most of us have done these and other modifications and repairs over the years, and can provide guidance--it's part of boat ownership.
You have a well built boat and an engine with a good reputation. If you can do the suggested work, or get help from a good friend, or if necessary hire a pro (but check around to ensure you get someone reputable), you will have a boat that looks great, sails well and you'll gradually learn her systems and parts.
Finally, before we bought our 1984 E30+, she had been owned by a lady with a cat who lived aboard comfortably for two years. :)
Frank

juni

Member I
Thanks for the help, I did love sailing her after purchase, will do what's necessary to enjoy liveaboard life as well. The pump is 5yrs old and it turns on but only drips from tap, don't know why the tank doesn't have a cut-out, will fix soon, appears the mild winters are over, enough work to keep busy.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do I have the option to flush overboard when beyond 4miles?

That was probably an option in 1984, since the default was holding tank with intended marina pump-out disposal.

Trace the head outbound hoses. There might be a selection valve that allows direct discharge overboard, which the CG wants "locked" when not in use, to prevent accidental direct discharge. More likely, if do you have the overboard discharge option, is a hose from the holding tank to a thruhull, which will require a separate pump, either a manual Whale or an electric macerator.

juni

Member I
Juni,
As many have said, the E30+ is a great boat, much better designed and built than either
a Catalina 30 or an O'day, both of which I've sailed.
None of the problems you list above are insurmountable, so to start on a few:
The nav equipment not working could be as simple as a loose or corroded connection. If you know how to use a Multi meter you can problem solve along the wiring. Raymarine has a very helpful tech department which you may find useful.
The pressure water issue could be as simple as checking to see if the pump will come on. If not, is there voltage at the pump, a broken fuse, loose connection, plugged vent hose, enough water in the tank? If necessary, a new water pump is less than $200.
If your boat has a stuffing box rather than a packless shaft seal, it should drip a bit while the engine is running to keep the shaft from overheating in the stuffing box, but it should not drip with the engine off. As long as there is a pick up strainer somewhere in the bilge (original was attached to a red hose) having the bilge pump located separately in the quarter berth in a porthole is good, as it keeps wires and pump out of the wet bilge. These pumps can last 20 years, and if needed can be bought for about $150.
For your ice box/refrigeration, you can buy icebox conversion kits (mine is a Norcold, which has now worked well for 14 years, but there are also other brands), but they do cost about $1,000 (still much cheaper than your NYC rent).
Your lack of access to the water tanks can also be readily solved. The main tank is under the starboard settee, and I if you have the optional tank, it's under the large locker under the v berth cushions, but you have to empty that locker, remove the screws holding the floor piece in place, lift it out and you'll see the tank. Cut a hole in the top of the tanks with a jig saw and cover the hole with a plastic port (about $10 each at a chandlery). The port comes with a frame with screw holes, so just caulk the rim with a good sealant and screw it down. The port unscrews from the frame with a simple twist when you want to check tank level or clean the tank.
Most of us have done these and other modifications and repairs over the years, and can provide guidance--it's part of boat ownership.
You have a well built boat and an engine with a good reputation. If you can do the suggested work, or get help from a good friend, or if necessary hire a pro (but check around to ensure you get someone reputable), you will have a boat that looks great, sails well and you'll gradually learn her systems and parts.
Finally, before we bought our 1984 E30+, she had been owned by a lady with a cat who lived aboard comfortably for two years. :)
Frank
Hello Frank, I have owned an O'day25, Catalina 30, the C30 IMHO is a better design for a sailor who not only sails but livesaboard and can work on her. The engine, stuffing box on the E30+ is in a terrible location, the aft berth is so small I fail to see how one can compare the C30 to the E30+. The stuffing box is leaking, can't access it via lazarette, still haven't been able to install shifter cable because no access. A mechanic was kind enough to attempt but mentioned he'd never had a difficult time trying to access an engine, he didn't charge me for trying. Is there a way to access the stuffing box, tranny? Am out of ideas, other than removing water heater, can live without hot water, been at this for months now, other sailors can't help because the issue isn't mechanical it's access to what needs fixing. Thank you for your patience, juni