1979 Ericson 29 Mast-head sheave's

rjuhl

I have an 1979 Ericson 29. The mast head sheave's (4), between 3 plates had a plate with some backing coming off. I re-glued the backing, and now the unit is two wide to easily fit back in the mast-head.

The sheave's do not turn because of this.

Question:

1. Where can I get replacment sheave's or
2. I can get a metal shop to grind off a few thousands of an inch on all four so that the total width is smaller and I will not have to force the unit back in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Randy Juhl

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Ericson used several mast manufacturers during the 1970s, most of whom have gone out of business, but one of those that did not had sheaves of the right size for my boat - at a price. Try www.rigrite.com.

Depending on how much needs to be taken off your current sheaves, a decent machine shop (which should not be hard to find near any port) might be a lot cheaper. I would show what you have got to a rigger before that kind of modification, but it sounds feasible if it is just a small amount that needs to be taken away.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

rjuhl

Thanks......
Well I went ahead and had a machine shop take 4 thousands of an inch off. The also sanded / polished the inside track as well.....wow what a difference. The unit slid in nicely and I was able to watch them turn as I hand pulled the wire halyards over them. It only cost 25.00.:egrin:

Last edited: