• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The rig must be really heavy !

Sven

Seglare
We finally got down to our de-rigged Senta today. She's riding at least 2, or maybe 3 inches higher in the water !

I'll have to see if I can find the lbs/in of immersion figure but I'm amazed. A quick guess would be on the order of 500 lbs/in. That would mean the rig comes in at 1000 lbs ?

I was really glad to see that the mast step looks like it is in really good shape.

I was also relieved to see the forward iron partial bulkhead from the other/aft side. It too is in much better shape than I'd feared.

The chainplates are getting re-bedded as part of the re-fit since they are now uncovered and they too look quite good.

While she looks funny without her rig it was a very good day :)

-Sven

Emerald

She's riding at least 2, or maybe 3 inches higher in the water !

actually sounds like you had the rig too tight and she was being pushed down into the water lower. You'll be amazed how much higher she floats with proper shroud tension...:rolleyes:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A Half Ton?

Hmmm.... Doubt that the rig is all that heavy....
As to the raise in the waterline, you probably now have the boom, vang, main, cover, and all the furler stuff off the boat as well.

When we had our double-spreader rig all ready for the crane to set it, the operator changed his mind about how he wanted to pick it up. My wife and I lifted the whole assembly with all shrouds and running rigging on it (still with the original wire/rope halyards) and rotated 180 degrees it and set it back down on the supports. That was in '94, and we were a lot younger and stronger, and could juuuuust barely do that lift. We estimate that the whole mess weighed in at about 200#, or maybe a bit more. Our spar is about 54' long, as I recall.
Somehow I just doubt that the rig itself off your 39 is more than, say, 400#. Atmittedly, just a SWAG, on my part, however.

I bet that Martin and Guy will know! :nerd:

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Right, when I said rig I was including all of it, including the boom and furler.

The sails and covers are however still aboard, but in the aft cabin. I didn't check to see where the waterline was in the stern. Maybe it was just the bow that was that for above which would be closer to the 500 lbs you suggested.

I'll ask the rigger if he knows the weight from what the crane operator had seen, assuming he had functioning gauges :)

The rigger in San Diego did say that the boom was crude but substantial, maybe that goes for the mast too !

-Sven

e38 owner

Member III
Waterline

Each year when I unload the boat for the winter the boat raises about 2" or more. Most of the weight is in sails, and drinks in the cooler plus some galley supplies. Every year I am amazed.