• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hurth tranny replacement ???

rudy

Member II
Our Hurth tranny on a 3 cyl. universal diesel lost the forward gear.Anyone else experience this problem? Need advice as to wheather to replace or repair. Tranny worked great for many years and then without any warning I lost the forward gear(thank goodness we had just got through Dodds Narrows.. WHEW!!!) Someone (not a sailor)has told us to yank the Hurst out and replace it with a Twin Disk MG 340 tranny.???
All and every reply will be welcome.

wurzner

Member III
A complete rebuild kit is about $300 and easily done by anyone who is reasonable mechanical. You likely have a hurth HBW50 which is now called a ZF5 if I'm not mistaken. I've never heard of the tranny you mentioned, but I'd stick with the Hurth since parts are readily available. I would also put a transmission cooler on it at the same time and you will be good to go for many 1000's of hours. You can get a rebuild one in the seattle area for just under 700. http://www.merequipment.com or www.mmiseattle.com if you live in the area. Shipping isn't that big a deal, or you can just get the rebuild parts. I don't have any relationship aside from knowing they have good pricing and parts availability.

regards
shaun

wurzner

Member III
Rudy, at least one of the links I sent you also works on twin disc tranny's. I'd give them a call and get a few recommendations. Either way, I think you'll be good for a long time to come. I put the cooler on mine because I read overheating is the key issue on the hurth's and most likely, all transmissions. I know this applies to automotive ones as well.

shaun

wurzner

Member III
Well, I can't really speak to it too well yet. I had it installed on my new engine/tranny and I'm picking the boat up this weekend. I will send photos to show the new install. I do know from a unit I looked at on the dock is it is connected to the FWC and it attaches to the top of the transmission,i.e, it is external and acts as a heat sink. I believe the cost is around 200.

shaun

Photos to follow when I get my boat back!