Hurth tranny replacement ???

rudy

Member II
Our Hurth tranny on a 3 cyl. universal diesel lost the forward gear.Anyone else experience this problem? Need advice as to wheather to replace or repair. Tranny worked great for many years and then without any warning I lost the forward gear(thank goodness we had just got through Dodds Narrows.. WHEW!!!) Someone (not a sailor)has told us to yank the Hurst out and replace it with a Twin Disk MG 340 tranny.???
All and every reply will be welcome.

wurzner

Member III
A complete rebuild kit is about $300 and easily done by anyone who is reasonable mechanical. You likely have a hurth HBW50 which is now called a ZF5 if I'm not mistaken. I've never heard of the tranny you mentioned, but I'd stick with the Hurth since parts are readily available. I would also put a transmission cooler on it at the same time and you will be good to go for many 1000's of hours. You can get a rebuild one in the seattle area for just under 700. http://www.merequipment.com or www.mmiseattle.com if you live in the area. Shipping isn't that big a deal, or you can just get the rebuild parts. I don't have any relationship aside from knowing they have good pricing and parts availability.

regards
shaun

wurzner

Member III
Rudy, at least one of the links I sent you also works on twin disc tranny's. I'd give them a call and get a few recommendations. Either way, I think you'll be good for a long time to come. I put the cooler on mine because I read overheating is the key issue on the hurth's and most likely, all transmissions. I know this applies to automotive ones as well.

shaun

wurzner

Member III
Well, I can't really speak to it too well yet. I had it installed on my new engine/tranny and I'm picking the boat up this weekend. I will send photos to show the new install. I do know from a unit I looked at on the dock is it is connected to the FWC and it attaches to the top of the transmission,i.e, it is external and acts as a heat sink. I believe the cost is around 200.

shaun

Photos to follow when I get my boat back!