wood work on e-27

nathansackett

what kind of wood are the two main dividers between the v-berth and the head in a 1974 e-27?
what is the best way to refinish it?
the wood is old looking, many holes, many scratchs. would you varnish or just sand down to raw wood and stain?

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
It would help if you posted a picture, but I'll venture
a guess that it's philippine mahogany veneer ply. Be
warned that you can't sand it too much without blowing
through to the substrate.

Martin

Ian S

Member III
Bulkhead wood

The bulkheads in my e 27 are 1/2" teak ply with 1/16" veneer. Be carefull sanding. Make sure to wipe down with acetone prior to finishing due to the oilyness of teak and getting good adhesion is difficult. Please ventilate well acetone is highly combustible. If there is no previous finish other than oil clean and re oil with Watco oil much less maintainence. If you finish dont spend to much money on varinsh as high quality finishes are expensive and the main reason is U.V. protection which you do not need down below. Hope this helps.
Ian S

JORGE

Member III
Veneers are 1/16" and easy to burn through. I think if you strip it first, then use an orbital palm sander ( or by hand)with 150 or 220 grit it may restore the finish. Finally, sand with 220 ( by hand) wipe down w/ mineral spirit and apply 2 coats of spar varnish.Test an area that will not show so you can compare the color of the panel with others in the same area. Labor is 3X of what you think.

If you need to re-veneer , home improvement sellers of veneer--- I have seen, sell or order many types of veneer on rolls, usually 24" wide by 4 to 8 ft long. These are either contact cemented on or iron on. It takes a little practice( like wallpapering). Sanding is usually done with very fine sandpaper( by hand), and finished