Windows on 32-2

Hi everyone,
Due to slow leaks developing I'm getting ready to redo the ports on "chez nous", our 1973 32-2 that resides on the schrewsbury river in NJ. Just curious if anyone knows what I might need- is there a gasket I can get somewhere? The sizes are weird and not all rctangular, and I'm hoping someone knows some place where I can say "ericson 32-2" and they would have the size.... If not gaskets, do I just use life caulk? Any advice would help..
many thanks.

Years ago we worked on the ports for Goldeneye, an E32 #236, and I believe I found gasket material at an automotive glass shop or regular glass shop. Don't remember which but it matched up really well to what was used. Once you pull it you can bring it along to try and match it up. Barring finding it that way you may be able to match it up by its profile and dimensions at a place like McMaster-Carr. Also, I believe that the gasket is used by the RV industry as well so you could check that out as well.

Thanks so much. So just to clarify- if I get gasket material (probably 1/16 or 1/8??) I will probably cut it to size myself. Then do I still use caulking like lifecaulk? Where does that go? Between the glass and the gasket? Or between the gasket and the fiberglass? Of both? Or none? Sorry to sound stupid but I never did this before so I don't know what to expect... Thanks for the input.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are probably some threads or blogs already written here regarding this. Someone may be able to point you in there direction. If you have never done anything like this then you should take some time and read up. You can expect some punky core if these ports have never been out.

If you are referring to the fixed ports in the 70's models, there are indeed some threads here dealing with repairs.
Use the Google search engine and try words appropriate -- port rebed, port light rebuild, (or similar).

I found this one with a quick search:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?5968-Re-sealing-E32-2-Portlights

Loren

Last edited: