Windows for 85 Ericson 32-3

James Carlisle

My 1985 Ericson 32-3 hull #637 is a beautiful boat. This last fall I noticed that all four of my port and starboard windows have been leaking. The interior wood around the windows are begining to fail and am now in the process of replacing the wood work. Apparently the windows appear to be permanently fixed to the gel coat ( and the wood to the fiberglas) but not fixed enough that they don't leak. I would like to remove them and replace same but am having trouble aquiring replacements. Does anyone have a source for windows? The work appears to be tedious but the problem is removing the windows without destroying them. I would like to find a source before spring hits here in KS. Any assistance would br greatly appreciated.
Jim on the Valkyrie

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
My boat is the same vintage as yours (i.e. made the next day or week) and the portlights are Bomars (Model # N3410). Since my model is not reparable, Bomar sold me new ones for $200 each (1/2 price). Here is the URL:

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.n...6925abeabbdf5d92852567c2004f644c?OpenDocument

I plan to replace mine this spring.

If you are talking about the fixed ports, I don't think they are replacable and for that reason have not tried to remove mine. One did leak a little until I sealed the leak by covering both sides of the seam with masking tape, mushing in clear polysufide sealant with my finger and removing the masking tape. The leak stopped and the sealant is not observable.

Last edited:

James Carlisle

Windows for Ericson 32-3

My concern are the fixed windows. I can appreciate that they are not replaceable however; mine leak so they are not an integral piece in the fiberglas. It does not appear that removal will be simple but I believe that that will be necessary to re-install in a sealed fashion. My concern is that I will somehow damage them and will need to replace. Also, would glass different than the original be available? (tinted, insulated, etc.) Sources in Kansas are extremely limited, even intelligent leads. Any clues on who made the existing units? Are they still in business? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Jim C.

lbertran

Member III
I Have Leaky Ports on 1985 35-3

I don't know if they're the same as yours but they probably are. I was able to find that they were custom made by Lewmar for Ericson. I contacted Lewmar and they say they are not able to make these ports anymore. After much research, I determined that these ports are not replaceable. Any new port would require re-glassing the opening and cutting a new opening. I decided to repair the ports and re-bed them since they were leaking both around the outer frame and between the glass and frame. I removed the ports which took time to do carefully without bending the frames. I did cause a couple of minor bends that were easy to straighten with a wide mouth vise grips. I removed the old silicone from between the glass and the frame, cleaned it all up, masking taped the glass and the frame and caulked it with GE Silpruf. I'm getting ready to re-install the ports this weekend and will bed them with the GE Silpruf. I'll report how it all turns out.

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 35-3
Annapolis

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Laura,

I be very interested in the report and a little more detail (e.g. what tool) on how you removed the ports. Also, where did you get GE Silpruf?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Good catch (of course, I don't know how that owner expected his big windows to stay put with bottom end of the staysail stay attached to the coach roof between the two windows). I have been pondering what sealant to use when installing my new opening portlights. Since I don't think I want to bond them to the boat I have been thinking seriously of using 3M 101.

Last edited:

jgarmin098

Member II
I rebedded a leaking fixed nose port (one of the four big ones) on my '88 32-3. Removal is accomplished by carefully slipping a putty knife or sharp edged pry bar gently around the edge a little at a time until it begins to break free. I encountered no bending as a result of taking my time. I disassembled the frame from the glass, cleaned it all up and resealed the glass with silicone. I used (way too much) 3M 101 to mount the assembly back on the boat. I say too much because tons of it oozed out on the outside of the boat and it took me forever to clean it up to my fastidiously high standards.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
easy clean-up...

quick trick when bedding anything to help with clean-up...
dry fit whatever you are bedding
draw a pencil outline around it
blue masking tape all around the pencil line (on the outside of your fixture)
bed as planned
after bedding material has dryed, trim around your fixture with a sharp utility knife
bedding compound peel up tape and excess bedding material comes up with it

much faster than trying to clean up 4200 after the fact!
Chris

lbertran

Member III
GE Silpruf

This stuff is highly recommended by Maritime Plastics in Annapolis. These guys refurbish tons of ports each year, replacing the lexan, etc. Anyway, I used the Silpruf to bed a port on my previous boat and was pleased with it. I wanted to use something that adheres and seals well but will release when the time comes to do this again. I also saw the story about the catamaran that used the Silpruf unsuccessfully. The article states that the Silpruf never cured. This is only a problem with Silpruf that's used after the "use by" date that is stamped on the tube. The "use by" date is critical with this product.

I used a putty knife and a small pry bar to slowly work the port loose.

Laura

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've got some aluminum frame fixed lights that I need to rebuild, and I was wondering if you guys replace the rubber gasket that is fit between the aluminum frame and the lens, or if you do away with it and just use a sealant (like silpruf)?

Nate

lbertran

Member III
It Depends on the Portlight Design

Nate-
My ports had silicone caulk sealing the frame to the glass on the outside. That caulk was in really bad shape and was an obvious souce of leaks. Also, the caulk sealing between the port frame and the boat itself was in very rough shape and also leaking. I removed all of the old caulk and replaced it with Silpruf. The gasket between the glass and the frame on the inside of the port is there only to hold the glass in place. That gasket, because it is inside and away from weather, salt and UV rays, was in fine shape, so I did not need to replace it. I'll be rebedding the ports this weekend, again with Silpruf. I'll take some pictures to post here.

Laura

James Carlisle

From central Kansas only shopping to be done is electronically but it has been evident that the existing windows are no longer available without altering their shape and cuting new openings. Not wanting to mess with King's design, I have removed the existing windows using the suggestions from generous members of this web. I have them to a glazier to replace the glass since they are out and I plan to powder coat the frames with a color that will match the original. I'll report once I have them back in. Thanks for all your help.