Wilcox Head

CSMcKillip

It’s the standard equipment that came with the boat in 83. The pump needs to be replaced and from all the reading I have done it seems this pump is now trash along with the bowl. Is there a good direct replacement?

I was was looking at Defender as they have a sale right now? I was looking at [h=1]Raritan Fresh Head? Has anyone used these yet?[/h]

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I don't know anything about the Raritan but... two tidbits:

-- rebuild kits are available for at least some Wilcox-Crittenden heads. I have a WC "Headmate" (model 1460), which I assume is original equipment, and I've been able to find rebuild kits and spare parts for it online.

https://www.marinesan.com/Headmate-Repair-Kit-p/37057.htm

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Wilcox-Crittenden-Headmate-Toilet-Service-Parts-p-91002266.html

-- I recently attended a seminar on heads and plumbing as part of a YC general meeting. The speaker (who runs the "MarineSan" company in Seattle) said there is an off-the-shelf pump available that matches the hole-pattern of the WC Headmate.... and is a much better pump. Might still require re-plumbing the hoses in and out of the pump, but if the bowl of your existing head is still viable, it might solve your problem without being a major uninstall/rebuild/replace project.

I don't recall the brand/model of that pump, but might be worth a call to MarineSan before you start pulling things apart. The guy's name is Clay Peil, he seemed very knowledgeable about what works and what doesn't.

MarineSan's numbers are 800-624-9111 / 206-633-1110

https://www.marinesan.com

(for anyone in the Seattle area, they're located next door to Fisheries down by Gasworks park...)

Bruce

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

I don't know anything about the Raritan but... two tidbits:

-- rebuild kits are available for at least some Wilcox-Crittenden heads. I have a WC "Headmate" (model 1460), which I assume is original equipment, and I've been able to find rebuild kits and spare parts for it online.

https://www.marinesan.com/Headmate-Repair-Kit-p/37057.htm

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Wilcox-Crittenden-Headmate-Toilet-Service-Parts-p-91002266.html

-- I recently attended a seminar on heads and plumbing as part of a YC general meeting. The speaker (who runs the "MarineSan" company in Seattle) said there is an off-the-shelf pump available that matches the hole-pattern of the WC Headmate.... and is a much better pump. Might still require re-plumbing the hoses in and out of the pump, but if the bowl of your existing head is still viable, it might solve your problem without being a major uninstall/rebuild/replace project.

I don't recall the brand/model of that pump, but might be worth a call to MarineSan before you start pulling things apart. The guy's name is Clay Peil, he seemed very knowledgeable about what works and what doesn't.

MarineSan's numbers are 800-624-9111 / 206-633-1110

https://www.marinesan.com

(for anyone in the Seattle area, they're located next door to Fisheries down by Gasworks park...)

Bruce

thanks Bruce, the pump it self works great, but the case has a vertical crack from the packing but all the way down half the side of the case. The full pump assembly would need to be replaced. I will give Clay a call and see what information he has on a pump replacement as that would be very easy to do.

i do like the fact that the Raritan uses the pressurized water vs Raw. This would free a thru hull that I could use for my 16000btu air. Right now it shares a thru hull and was on a list of items to change on my survey.

thanks again

Chris

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Many of us use a simple nonpresurized fresh-water rinse. That might also free up the hull fitting.

I just "T"-d the vanity sink drain and connected it to the head water intake. Fill sink bowl with water, pump the head for a fresh rinse.

Sea water is terrible in a head anyhow. Seaweed and microorganisms rot in a few days, smell bad, clog the bowl channels and so on.

Drawback: for guests to use the vanity sink an under-sink valve has to be thrown to direct sink water overboard. But people use the head more than the sink.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Many of us use a simple nonpresurized fresh-water rinse. That might also free up the hull fitting.

I just "T"-d the vanity sink drain and connected it to the head water intake. Fill sink bowl with water, pump the head for a fresh rinse.

Sea water is terrible in a head anyhow. Seaweed and microorganisms rot in a few days, smell bad, clog the bowl channels and so on.*

Drawback: for guests to use the vanity sink an under-sink valve has to be thrown to direct sink water overboard. But people use the head more than the sink.

* If you're on a lake I don't know if this is a factor or not.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
On A Lake, Still Stinks

On a lake, drawing water for the head is still a smelly problem. The severity depends on the time of year and lake water temperature.

CSMcKillip

Yea, the more I look at this head the more I like it. Fixes 2 problems I currently have and I know that it’s a solid bowl and pump. Need to check the connections and pull the trigger.

kapnkd

kapnkd
It’s the standard equipment that came with the boat in 83. The pump needs to be replaced and from all the reading I have done it seems this pump is now trash along with the bowl. Is there a good direct replacement?

I was was looking at Defender as they have a sale right now? I was looking at Raritan Fresh Head? Has anyone used these yet?

Just replaced our head on my E 32-II with a Johnson brand we ordered from Hodges Marine out of Florida. The price was what I liked @ $128.00 with free shipping. It arrived in just a few days as well and was the same base pattern as the old unit.

907Juice

Continuously learning
Yeah, replace it. I tried rebuilding ours twice. Each time for less than a new jayco head. Pull hat old one out and throw it away.

L

Leslie Newman

We keep a couple of gallon jugs of water from the dock faucet in the shower to be used for flushing. We never pump in seawater. Or we use the wand in the head sink to spray some fresh water into the toilet bowl. Also, when doing pump out we fish the garden hose through the shower portlight so we can spray fresh water into the bowl and then pump several gallons of fresh water through the system before pumping. Do this twice during each pump out. Really keeps the smell at bay.

Been looking at electric fresh water flush toilets. Not in the budget this year, but maybe next year.

Glyn Judson

Head install tip.

All, When installing a marine head in a boat of mine or someone eases, I make it a practice to stack four Nylon washers (off the shelf at West Marine) between the bronze casting or plastic body of the toilet and the platform it's getting mounted to. Four of these washers stacked, raises the entire assembly by 1/4", more than enough space beneath to rinse away the inevitable dust, salt water or pee from collecting and enough space for the fresh water to dry completely. This is especially true with bronze hardware in order to prevent green streaks. In the words of my wife Marilyn, "Just sayin." Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

L

Leslie Newman

All, When installing a marine head in a boat of mine or someone eases, I make it a practice to stack four Nylon washers (off the shelf at West Marine) between the bronze casting or plastic body of the toilet and the platform it's getting mounted to. Four of these washers stacked, raises the entire assembly by 1/4", more than enough space beneath to rinse away the inevitable dust, salt water or pee from collecting and enough space for the fresh water to dry completely. This is especially true with bronze hardware in order to prevent green streaks. In the words of my wife Marilyn, "Just sayin." Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Thanks. Very good recommendation. I just replaced the joker valve in Osprey's toilet and wish I had installed some washers. I had removed the toilet so I could clean really good all around during the valve swap. I'm going to install a new toilet during the winter and will make sure to raise it some.