While inspecting the boat again.

Dferr

Member II
I went down to see the E32 I'm interested in yesterday. One of the things that is bothering me is the keel. The bottom paint is cracked all along the hull to keel joint, and what looks to be some separation at the leading edge. It looks like there is some filler or some fairing that's between the crack. My Pearson 31 was doing kind of the same thing. I didn't have any problems with it. Is this something that is normal? I don't see it on a lot of other boats.

Thanks,
Don

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
check out...

Hi Don,
Check out the thread from when Ted was looking at his boat to purchase-
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1743

A keel drop and re-bed is pretty normal with some of the models (more knowledgeable people can tell you exactly which ones, but I think the 32 is one depending on what year), and not a big deal. Check out your keelbolts for corrosion (not uncommon). Hard to figure without photos, but a little digging on this site will uncover lots of great info:D .
Chris

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Keel rebed notes

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=295&referrerid=28

And, here is another thread. There is much keel-related discussion on this site. Once you put the word Keel or Keel Bolt in to the "search" function, you need to further sort out the replies... and spend a bit of time reading.

On any boat with an external metal keel I would reccommend that it be dropped and rebedded every 15 or 20 years. It is ultimately the only way to be sure that corrosion is not affecting the strength of those large SS threaded rods we call "keel bolts."

Another way of looking at this is that any boat built before 1987 is due... now.
:rolleyes:

Budget wise, I would put this work partly in to the "insurance" part of my boat expenses, like replacing the standing rigging on a scheduled basis.
(Or, like changing the oil in by car every 3500 miles, even if the engine has not shown signs of seizing up yet!)
:)

After our keel was removed at the yard and the mating surfaces were cleaned off (!) it was torqued on again with 5200 sealant. The previous seepage around one of the bolts ceased and the bilge remains dusty dry.

As Steve (or was it Sean?) once noted, boat ownership is not an inexpensive pastime, but the rewards are truly sublime. (I do not remember exact quotes, and must ask their forbearance.)

Loren

ps: when we are out on the water under sail, headed for nowhere in particular, it all seems worthwhile...

:D