Where to put more batteries?

Willpatten

Member II
My E38-200 has two batteries under the aft section of the Starboard settee.
I'd like to add a starting battery for the engine and another deep cycle so I can add refrigeration.
Any brilliant solutions for positioning batteries?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Nothing brilliant I'm afraid. My E38-200 had two group 31 batteries as the house bank in the aft bay under the starboard settee, and a group 27 starting battery in the middle bay. I hated losing all that prime storage to batteries, but I couldn't think of a better place, so I left them there. The house bank was a total of 260 amp-hours, which was fine for our needs, but would probably have been inadequate if we had run the fridge all the time (we used ice instead).

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Same setup on my 38. Two group 31 gels (about 200 amp hours). That has been plenty of power for our use with the fridge taking the most. This bank gives you about 100 amp hours of useful capacity since you want to avoid exceeding 50% depth of discharge. Our alder barbour unit pulls around 50-60 amp hours every 24. That leaves another 40-50 for other stuff. On a normal overnight we wake up to 40-50 amp discharge. Monitored on a link 10. I have a separate group 27 gel for starting in the next bay fwd on ther starboard setee. There may be room on the port side just aft of the bulkhead to the the v-berth but cabling could be a pain. You could also put the start battery in the cockpit locker but again more cabling. My advice would be to set up like Steve and I have. Search more posts or P-mail me for a more detailed description of my primary battery wiring/charging system.

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Will,

I put my starting battery under the aft berth. My intent was to put an access panel above it, but I never got around to it.

I mounted a battery switch inside the engine compartment door. The switch is exactly like the switch mounted near the nav station. The switch allows me to charge the house batteries and the starting battery, or the starting battery alone, or the house batteries alone.

I don’t remove my batteries during the winter. Instead I run my battery charger on a timer and charge for a few hours once a week, so not having easy access to the starting battery isn't a big problem.

I installed the Frigoboat refrigeration system with the keel cooler. It doesn't need a water pump to operate. It's very efficient and I've never had a problem with using the two house batteries. That said, our boat is on Lake Superior, so I'm not totally sure if systems operating with warmer water temps would experience the same efficiency.

Enjoy,
Bob

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Hi Will,

I put my starting battery under the aft berth. My intent was to put an access panel above it, but I never got around to it.

I mounted a battery switch inside the engine compartment door. The switch is exactly like the switch mounted near the nav station. The switch allows me to charge the house batteries and the starting battery, or the starting battery alone, or the house batteries alone.

I don’t remove my batteries during the winter. Instead I run my battery charger on a timer and charge for a few hours once a week, so not having easy access to the starting battery isn't a big problem.

I installed the Frigoboat refrigeration system with the keel cooler. It doesn't need a water pump to operate. It's very efficient and I've never had a problem with using the two house batteries. That said, our boat is on Lake Superior, so I'm not totally sure if systems operating with warmer water temps would experience the same efficiency.

Enjoy,
Bob

OK, now you've got me curious. WHERE under the aft berth? If you have the aft cabin version (38-200) isn't the area under the aft berth mostly full of fuel tank? Or is there some space around the tank I don't remember where you can wedge in a battery?

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Steve,

It fits along side the fuel tank on the cockpit locker side.
There could be room for a second battery, but I can't remember for sure.

Bob

celtium

Member III
???

Hi Bob,

Now I'm curious as I'm currently looking for more battery space :esad:.

If you're on the cockpit locker side...the prop shaft is directly adjacent to the fuel tank, then there's not much room between the shaft and the locker.

How about a picture of where you installed it? It might solve a location problem for me.

I am doing a power inventory at the moment and think I 'need' to go to 2 house & 1 starting with the build out of 4 house (400a) if I do everything I want in the future.

My best bet at the moment, that I have found, for the starting bat is in the starboard locker forward on the left side corner which is kind of out of the way in 'unused space'.

Let us know.

Jay
E 38-200
SF Bay

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Jay,

Sorry for not being clearer. It fits along side the fuel tank on the cockpit locker side of the fuel tank under the quarter berth. I removed the panel under the quarter berth long enough to install the battery.

It's aft of the prop shaft.

Hopefully, that makes more sense.
Bob

celtium

Member III
Yikes!

Now that's creative! Must be an awful tight fit.

I'm going to guess it's a maintenance free battery?:egrin: What is your plan for access if needed, or did you fabricate an access hatch?

I use deep cell wet batteries for house. I could probably mix battery types if they are totally separate.

Very interesting indeed. :thinker:

Jay
E 38-200
SF Bay

Bob Robertson

Member III
The battery has been there for a number of years. I'm actually on my second battery. I have always planned to make an access hatch, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe next year.

Bob

vbenn

Member III
I have 4 Mastervolt AGM batteries under the starboard settee which serve as the house bank, and 1 similar battery under the aft berth which is a dedicated engine start battery. Most of the cabin lights now use Sensibulb LEDs, so most of our battery consumption is for the Adler Barbour frig.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
Ericson 380, #22

celtium

Member III
E 380

Hi Vince,

Does your boat have the fuel tank under the rear berth like the 38-200's?

One of my dock buddies has a 83ish 38 (haha) with the starboard side galley and slightly smaller rear berth. He has his batteries in the rear berth but forward of the berth for easy access.

I like Bob's location except that it would seem a little difficult to service if it were a wet cell. I'm guessing you could get a maintenance free starting battery like a Diehard for that are although, yes?

Jay
E 38-200
SF Bay

vbenn

Member III
My fuel tank is under the aft berth, port side. The engine start battery is installed along the centerline, just aft of the shaft log. I'm not familiar with the layout of earlier 38's. My 1997 E-380 was one of the last ones built by PSC: galley and aft berth on port side, head and nav table on starboard. Starboard settee has 3 sections. House batteries are installed in forward and aft sections. Middle is for storage but I intend to install a new inverter there when my Freedom 10 dies. It is currently in the sail locker which is too far from the batteries according to my electrician. I believe that the original location for the batteries was the lower section of the locker in the aft berth. Looking at the weight & balance of all tanks and the slight degree of listing to port, I moved the house bank to stb.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue

Willpatten

Member II
Switch for start battery

Hi Will,

Enjoy,
Bob

Hi Bob,
I like your solution. Thanks for offering it.
How did you wire the new 1/both/2 switch inside the engine compartment door? Did you just insert it between the alternator and house bank (#1) with a new line going to start battery?
This switch would then have to be on in order to power the house bank?

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Will,

Here is the way I wired the additional Perko 8501 Switch.

Position 1 goes to the starting battery.
Position 2 goes to the house batteries.
Common goes to the starter.

The terminal on the starter is also connected to the alternator.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Perko_Switch.jpg

Mikebat

Member III
I think that's what I'll do.
I wish there were a place that would take the height of golf cart batteries.

If I recall correctly, the Trojan T-105 is a 6V golf cart batteries that will just fit in the battery well on my 32-200. They are a hair taller than the Group 31 12V cells already installed. I haven't done this upgrade yet, but I measured for it. If it fits in my 32-200 battery well, it should fit the 38-200 as well.

http://www.bfmbatterysales.com/inde...932&src=goog&gclid=CMek8aqgmpwCFRYiagodqB5ueA

L
10 3/8"
(264mm)

W
7 1/8"
(181mm)

H
10 7/8"
(276mm)

waltersaegir

Member I
If I recall correctly, the Trojan T-105 is a 6V golf cart batteries that will just fit in the battery well on my 32-200. They are a hair taller than the Group 31 12V cells already installed. I haven't done this upgrade yet, but I measured for it. If it fits in my 32-200 battery well, it should fit the 38-200 as well.

http://www.bfmbatterysales.com/inde...932&src=goog&gclid=CMek8aqgmpwCFRYiagodqB5ueA

L
10 3/8"
(264mm)

W
7 1/8"
(181mm)

H
10 7/8"
(276mm)

Mike has me interested. I have a E32-200 and I'm about ready for more battery. If the golf cart batteries are in the existing battery box, where would the starter battery be located in the 32-200?