where to buy golfcart batteries

evm

Member II
It is time to buy 4 golfcart batteries. I've been scouring the web and hitting local stores and have not found a price that I can accept. Tat includes this BBS. So if you know where to buy in the Portland to Seattle areas post it here.

I'm in Portland but a trip to Seattle is not out of line to save $100 or so.

I am not planning to keep my boat for 10 years so Trojans are not a requirement. We did get 10 years out of a set of T125. I would consider Trojans, Deka or perhaps a set of Interstate. Price being a major factor.

So far in Portland I see that West Marine has relabled T105 for $180 each, GI Joes has Trojan T605 for $120 and that is about all I've found.

I would be willing to tru the Deka for sub $100 and Interstate for sub $85.

Regards, Ethan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have bought my set of GC batteries (Trojan brand) from these guys twice.
NORTHWEST BATTERY SUPPLY
3750 SE Belmont
Portland, OR 97214
Telephone: (888) 424-4229

They also swaged up some new cables at min. charge. They have just about every permutation of battery in stock that you could imagine. Having said that, occasionally the "Joes" big box outdoor store may have the model GC Trojan that you want on sale. Sometimes.

Best,
Loren

Cory B

Sustaining Member
No read to run up to Seattle, you've got options here in town.

We've bought ours most recently at Empire Batteries at 7320 Southwest Bonita Road, Portland, OR 97224. We've also bought them from the Belmont Trojan place in the past.

Empire is a bit more "industrial" than the Trojan place. And at the time (who knows if its still the case) was noticeably cheaper than virtually identically spec'd Trojans (T-135's and G31's). If you are not exactly sure what you want I think the Trojan guys do a better job of helping you out - they understand the boat/RV market pretty well.

evm

Member II
Time to start calling.

So far my search has been limited to the internet a a few chance store visits....

I did know about Northwest on Belmont as that is where I bought my 4 T125 10 years ago. I did not know about Empire, thanks.

My first choice in batteries typically would be Trojan T105 if I were going to keep my E39 for another 10 years. I expect to sell sometime in the next 2 years so I want to keep the cost down while getting a good battery bank. Something with a 5+ year life span.

When I put the Trojans in my boat I used a set of 2 polyethylene battery boxes (that hold 2 GC batteries each) and mounted those in a fiberglass box I built under the aft double berth. Staying with that and low cost is the goal.

Currently I'm using 3 used 12 volt AGM (1 starting and 2 house) batteries that I picked up from work. These were the pick of the litter from a 50 battery set that powered a telephone system.

The AGM got me through the winter but I won't be trusting them for the summers cruises up in Canada.

Regards, Ethan

evm

Member II
East penn

I found out that East Penn (Deka) has a warehouse over by the Airport and will sell tot he public. I managed a deal on some GC15 which are T-105 like batteries. I couls not keep it under $100 each but still less than the $135 + $10 core for the best T-105 price I found.

Thanks to all. Ethan

---------------------------

East Penn Mfg Co Inc
www.eastpenn-deka.com

13017 NE Airport Way
Portland, OR 97230
(503) 257-8838

jeffgerritsen

If your in Portland, try Costco on 137th NE. They have a private label GC batteries for about $80 each. Cores are $5 each. These are not T-105, however should provide about the same performance. T105's are rated at 220 amp hours (20 hour drain test) and I believe the Costco ones are rated at 210 amps.

Jeff