Wheel & binnacle cover...

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I draped Sunbrella over the binnacle, including cupholders, then used darts to shape it.

I measured the wheel diameter, and made that circle a different color, for contrast.

I weighed the helm with old rope, so the weight keeps it hanging without need for a bottom drawstring.

Leather on top where hands grab it.

Pulls off easily and goes on fast.

binnacle cover.JPG

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One caveat- if the boat is exposed to high winds, a loose fitting cover can chafe on any part that it touches. You may need to chalk in some little contact points and apply some "chafe patches" on the inside where the cover touches parts of table or cup holder, etc.
(Our moorage can see winds of over 30 mph in the winter months and a number of boats have suffered chafe damage or loss of smaller canvas bits. Not every winter, but not uncommon either.)
I had never thought of the rope hem solution, and it's a great idea; a piece of 'crab line' might be even better.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
That's the problem this year... the water taxi says it's gone. Darn chafing and rotten threads...
Can't get to boat for at least 4 days as port captain has closed for safety reasons 35-45knts. On mooring!
Was on the todo list but now sooner.
Any one have measurements so I could start pattern?
Great idea Christian.
Thanks for all the ideas and input.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Amy one have a pattern or dimensions they could share? Ericson 38 , maybe even over the table too?
Thanks
My son purchased a Sailrite
sewing machine and started making our own custom covers.

Having a leather wrapped wheel, we wanted to protect it as well as the binnacle plus protect the base of the pedestal from the traveler.

He made three separate pieces to keep the design less complicated with simple circular patterns and squares. The wheel has a zippered front following the center of the wheel downward for ease of covering and uncovering.

(…The Viking Helmet is just a cheap Halloween rubber hat not left on all the time.)
21570C00-3A82-404F-970F-0546E0217C56.jpeg

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
My son purchased a Sailrite
sewing machine and started making our own custom covers.

Having a leather wrapped wheel, we wanted to protect it as well as the binnacle plus protect the base of the pedestal from the traveler.

He made three separate pieces to keep the design less complicated with simple circular patterns and squares. The wheel has a zippered front following the center of the wheel downward for ease of covering and uncovering.

(…The Viking Helmet is just a cheap Halloween rubber hat not left on all the time.)
View attachment 41831
What model Ericson? Looks good . Thanks for the response.