What's under my cockpit bench?

Hey_Billy

Recently bought a Simrad autotiller for my 1972 E27. I'll need to drill a hole in the starboard cockpit bench for the autotiller pin cup.

From the quarterberth underneath the cockpit bench, it looks (and sounds, when I knock) like the inner surface is not bonded to whatever makes up the cockpit bench top. I want to epoxy a wood doubler underneath the bench surface to distribute the autotiller forces, as recommended in the Simrad manual, but I'm not sure if I should bond this wood doubler directly to the inside surface I can see and access.

Before I put the hole in it, can anyone tell me if this inner surface is a liner, or is it bonded through to the outer surface?
Any other tips for this process?

Pic 1 - hole location from top
Pic 2 - hole location from bottom

Boat is all original AFAIK. Thank you!

Attachments

• BenchUpper.jpg
    BenchUpper.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 23
  • BenchLower.jpg
    BenchLower.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 23

Slick470

Member III
my guess it is a liner and it looks like a simple way to tell would be to remove that wood cover plate that is under your winch and take a look. You will probably want to do something similar after you make your autopilot hole.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes, liner. When you drill for the pin you can first use a pilot bit that is the same size as a hole saw pilot bit and then go under and using hole saw cut out the liner. Go slow so you don’t cut into the bottom skin of the deck. If you have an oscillating tool that also works well to cut the liner.