What is this?

MarcusJtown

Member II
IMG_0569.jpg

Some kind of faucet, I know. the hoses have been removed, and I can't figure out what it would have been for. There's one in the head sink as well.

Glyn Judson

What ti is.

Marcus, It was most likely plumbed to a foot pump and through hull fitting lead directly to sea water. Its purpose was intended to be used for washing dishes or whatever in salt water and then the onboard fresh water used sparingly for the final rinse. I too have one at the galley sink but not in the head. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Sink fittings

Hi Respected Sailors

On our 1982 Ericson 28+ the sink fitting is connected to the freshwater foot pump. The head fitting is connected to the freshwater storage tank to air vent when the freshwater tank is being filled, also acts as overflow when the tank is full.

MarcusJtown

Member II
I don't see anywhere where a foot pump would have been installed, and no extra thru hull for salt water intake. The overflow/vent makes a little sense, but I don't have deck fittings to fill my tanks. I have to fill them through the top of the tank, seems like it would just overflow there. Since it's not hooked to anything, I guess I could get creative. Maybe a foot pump to empty the icebox instead of it draining into the bilge.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When the boat left the factory, that spigot was attached to a clear hose the went to your boat's starboard settee water tank vent. The thinking was that when you filled the tank via the deck fitting(s) on all of the 80's Ericsons, at the full-up point it would vent excess water harmlessly into the sink.

The production guys there even did that for both the tanks on our Olson.... even though the tanks are filled only from their tops with the end of the hose brought down inside the boat! (Of course if the boat pitched at enough of an angle, the vent could conceivably burp out some water... heck of an angle, though.)
There are no deck fills for fresh water on the O-34.

I have removed both of mine to clear up the counter tops a bit. I figured that the vents could be brought up high enough to let any drips just go to the bilge. If the boat ever surfs down a wave that steep, that would be the least of my concerns. :0

Loren

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Yup - that's a vent for one of the water tanks alright. I really liked that design feature, as it keep "sea" water and spiders out of the typical outside mounted vent.

One note of caution. When you fill your tanks, be SURE that vent spigot is aligned over the sink, and not rotated out of the way from the last time you did dishes in the sink. I can confirm that it makes quite a mess below if you ignore this advice! (But at least it was fresh water....)

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Before it was plumbed for hot water and pressure water, my boat originally had a hand-activated pump there (not a foot pump). It's now plumbed to pump out reefer icewater. It's handy. I usually put a bucket in the sink, pump the icewater into the bucket, and slosh it into the cockpit. Also, having a sealed hose in the bottom of the fridge means (a) it doesn't dump into the bilge and (b) it holds the cold a little better.

Glyn Judson

What to do with that spigot.

Marcus, Good that others have chimed in, I think they're more on track as I was. I filled an extra hole near the sink in our boat that was formerly for my hot and cold pressurized water, with a soap dispenser. I removed that cumbersome plumbing system of copper tubing and vinyl hoses and put in its place a Fynspray hand pump as seen here in an eBay offering 330602151915 in one enlarged hole and used the other for a commercial soap dispenser pretty much like this http://www.airdelights.com/B-8221.html. I might add that I bought the Fynspray pump used at Minney's for $15.00 and I'll replace it with a new one when I hit the lotto. Glyn Judson, Ericson Independence 31, hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

clp

Member III
I thought at first it was some kind of a soap dispenser, but couldn't see any way to pump it.
I'm sure some creative mind could come up with some way to plumb a beverage through it,
unless you just wanted to drink sea water...

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Marcus, Good that others have chimed in, I think they're more on track as I was. I filled an extra hole near the sink in our boat that was formerly for my hot and cold pressurized water, with a soap dispenser. I removed that cumbersome plumbing system of copper tubing and vinyl hoses and put in its place a Fynspray hand pump as seen here in an eBay offering 330602151915 in one enlarged hole and used the other for a commercial soap dispenser pretty much like this http://www.airdelights.com/B-8221.html. I might add that I bought the Fynspray pump used at Minney's for $15.00 and I'll replace it with a new one when I hit the lotto. Glyn Judson, Ericson Independence 31, hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA
You STOLE that pump! I just paid $20 for a rebuild kit for the Fynspray in my head sink.