What chain is this?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I'm planning on putting a Lofrans Royal manual windlass (model LW250AN) just behind the anchor locker of my E32-3 and I was hoping to use my existing rope/chain rode with it. However it soon became obvious that there are many kinds of chains in the marine world. The Lofrans Royal can be ordered with many different types of gypsies for the chain. 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" in HT, BBB, HT or PC types. I do know that the gypsy on the Royal cannot accept a rope rode but I don't see this as a problem since I'd probably pull the rope in by hand til I reach the chain or, if there is a lot of resistance, use the capstan on the other end of the horizontal windlass.

So it comes down to figuring out what chain I currently have on the boat. I took some rough measurements with a tape scale but it seems that I'll need to make another trip to the boat and bring along a pair of calipers to because the chain thickness because the difference between 5/16" chain and 3/8" is hard to judge by just eye-balling it with a ruler. I also need to determine how many links per foot there are which is something I didn't take not of where doing my measurements. The only clue I have is the marking "G3" on the links which, I believe, refer to the strength of the chain.

But if I were to guess I think the chain is 3/8" PC type and from what I've read PC type chain isn't compatible with most gypsies except that Lofrans does offer a gypsy for either 5/16" or 3/8" chain in PC type. What I need to do now is to establish what chain I really do have and if it'll be compatible. Does anyone have experience with matching chain to a gypsy ro offer more insight to what I'm trying to do? If I need to purchase another rope/chain rode to match a gypsy when then so be it but I'd rather work with what I have since a new rode would be pricey and avoid the task of removing the chain that has been attached to the anchor for years.

IMG_1653.jpeg
The chain part of my rope/chain rode on my Ericson 32-3.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just spoke with Bacon Sails, a local Annapolis marine supply store (and a very good one too) and their "anchor expert" said that G3 chain isn't compatible with any windlass so if I'm going to install any sort of windlass I'll need to invest in a new chain/rope rode.