What are the best Roller furling system options for a 1981 Ericson 28 + ( Fractional Rig)

Selkie

I'm curious if other E 28+ owner could offer me info on which RF units they used on their boats. It seem like the CDI FF6 would fit but I'm not sure what other options are available? I do like the price point of the CDI FF6 Furling system.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would recommend a Harken or Schaefer. I know a rigger who is disdainful of the CDI product/design, altho it seems to be OK for small trailerable boats up to about 22'.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I have an older CDI model on my ODay and hate it. The biggest day to day gripe is that the thing rolls unevenly since the foils are not round. Feeding the tape into the slot and hoisting is a constant process of feeding it in then backing slightly before feeding more. When tensioned the top and bottom attachments are not close to the slot so the sail tears at the tape if some dyneema isn't used to tie the grommet to the foil.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Selden Furlex 206-13, it was purchased in 2011. Recommended by Bill Fastiggi of Vermont Sailing Partners who also built my sails. Pricey but definitely worth it.