Water pump on Universal 25

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I am in the process of buying a 1984 E35-III. When running the diesel a very fast drip developed under the shaft of the raw water pump. Is this something that is easily/cheaply fixed or are we talking about a new water pump for big bucks?

Thanks
Tim R.

cawinter

Member III
Just replace the pump

Consensus was (a while back) to just replace the pump. I tried to replace the seals (carbon) on my old pump but just ended up with a mess. The project isn't bad at all. I don't remember the price but you can e.g., check with Marine Diesel Direct or your favourite local Westerbeke/Universal dealer.

Chris

jgarmin098

Member II
I replaced the seals in my Oberdorfer raw water pump a fes years ago with a very good friend's help. Once you remove the pump, all you need to do is bang out the seals with the handle of a screw driver. It was no big deal at all.

Don't let that problem alone stop you from buying the boat.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Oberdorfer 202M-15

August 2004 I replaced the pump with an Oberdorfer 202M-15 which cost $158 from Marineparts.com in Florida. I had been advised to not bother trying to replace the seals. At that time it seemed like a good price and they got it here quickly. The Sherwood pump on my engine is no longer available.

http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/pumps/ENGINES/UNIVERSAL.HTM

Marine Diesel Direct or your favorite local Westerbeke/Universal dealer at that time wanted $275, and now want $338. The Universal part # is 301357.

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/universal/shopping/

YMMV

Shadowfax

Member III
Did Both

I had the same problem.

I first replaced the bearings with success, but about a year later I noticed a slight leak again and also that the pump would not hold a prime. After examination it was found that the impeller had worn a grove in the face plate of the pump housing, breaking the suction. When I pulled the shaft I noticed wear on the shaft and decided it was time to replace the whole pump. Cost installed was about $200.00. It is very easy to install and I would have done it myself, had I the time.

I would'nt fool with it. The pump is cheap, easy to install and if it goes it could be at the least, inconvenient and at the most, very expensive.