Water fill deck plate cap needed

SSY

The cap appears to be 1.5" with a pitch of 11. Does anyone no of a source for a replacement cap?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
The cap appears to be 1.5" with a pitch of 11. Does anyone no of a source for a replacement cap?

1 1/2" pipe thread deck fills are available lots of places, but the thread diameter is 1.9". 11.5 thd/inch is standard for pipe thread.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|106370|316448|314211&id=191806

1 1/4" pipe thread deck fills are more difficult to find. The diameter is 1.66". Pitch is the same 11.5 thd/inch.

The good news is that in a pinch a standard pipe plug will fit.

SSY

Thank you for the replies. The boat is an 88. I did search using deck fill, water fill, deck plate, etc. My apologies for not finding a relevant thread.

I have tried perko and seachoice and if you line up the threads you can see the original has a slightly wider thread and my thread gauge indicates an 11. I know some of the old wilcox-crittenden deck fills had a different cap and was wondering if anyone knew the make of the ones used on the 1988 Ericsons. I do not see a marking on the fill or the cap.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I know from several threads on this site & Sailnet that different threads appear on Ericsons of similar vintage. On my 87 E-34 I can use standard 1 1/4" pipe fittings.

If yours is different and you can't find a cap you may either have to have some made or change the deck fill.

SSY

Tom, thank you so much. I called white cap and they were very helpful. Also your comment about 1.25 made me double check. I did some more measuring and found that the sea choice caps that say they are 1.5" are not. I also looked at the pitches again and it is difficult to tell however I just screwed the one cap I have into a 1.25" shut-off valve. I can used a countersunk pipr plug until I find one. Fingers crossed.
Thanks again.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All of the factory deck fills on our '88 looked sort of like these:
http://www.goiot.com/pdf/p42-43.pdf
There may be other (domestic) vendors for similar products, but I do not know of any just off hand.
I kind of liked the winch handle idea for a "key" but our prior owner had ruined the locking square on both of the original spendy Lewmar winch handles (rebuildable with kits from Lewmar, however).

This could be the model, also. (?)
http://www.hoodyachtsystems.com/deck_fills.htm

I still like the tilt-up grip part on our current ss deck fills.
Admittedly we only have to deal with the fuel fill on any regular basis because our water fills are inside the boat -- top of each tank... Yup, it's an Olson thing.
:)

Loren

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
If the fill fittings are original, Seadog makes the correct caps. I went through this myself. I do not have the Seadog part number with me right now but believe I have it at home. The Perko caps do not fit.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Here is the part number:

351270-1

Sea-Dog Line

www.sea-dog.com

These are not the heavy, cast caps like Perko and others; but they fit and are just like the originals. If you want the cast variety you will probably have to replace the deck fitting.

Last edited: