Vinyard Sound Local Knowledge Wanted

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Looking at the charts it appears as though one could plot a course from Nantucket Harbor to Cuttyhunk that took you between Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard through Muskeget Channel. It looks like it could be a bit dodgy too with 6 1/2 foot draft. Obviously timing the tide would be important too. Question is does this route really save much or is it better to head up vineyard sound and pass by woods hole then on to Quicks Hole to get to Cuttyhunk? Also looks like one could get through Canapitsit Channel instead of Quicks Hole too but hat looks a little tight too. Locals I await your suggestions on an ideal route from Natucket to Cuttyhunk for July.

Akavishon

Member III
I would sail Nantucket - Vineyard Haven - (Woods Hole or Quiks Hole) - Cuttyhunk.

Canapitsit is very narrow, and tough to time right and navigate at the end of a long day, and/or in darkness - people strongly advise against it (and I've never done it). Quiks is very comfortable (just straight) with the right current. Woods is not too bad, but more navigation and more traffic.

Don't fight the current going into either Hole - arrival time at the Hole entrance (whichever you pick) is critical.

If you go via Quiks Hole (and sail down Vineyard Sound to get there), see if you can time it so you sail west down Vineyard Sound with the current (nice boost).

I don't have my Eldridge in front of me, it's all in there ...

Zoran

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks! Quicks Hole sounds like the route to take. Anyone know about using Muskeget channel to pass to the south of Martha Vinyard? It certainly looks doable but maybe a little tricky and I dont know if it saves any time.

Akavishon

Member III
My chart s/w suggests it's ~46nm going south of MV, and ~41nm going via the Sound, not a major difference, and you may be going against the prevailing s/w wind in either case.

Also, consider that there are no ports or places to hide south and west of MV (plenty of places along the Sound).

good luck Ted!

- Z

ps - squeezing weather, tide, current, daylight, wind into a master plan? - pretty tough. Getting the Admiral to wake up early enough so you can actually sail the master plan? - priceless! :))

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sounds like the way to go is as you suggested. I suppose that will be a beat most likely in July as you suggest. Will still try and time tides to get a good help. This will be one of our longer runs on this cruise as we try to keep the distances under 30 miles so kids have time to run on shore some place.,.

adavid

Member II
Stay in the sound and time the current as well as you can when you are sailing along the Vineyard. I did this trip every year (for 10 years) as a youngster.

Steve

Member III
Caution Advised

You can do Muskeget channel cautiously, however most big boat locals stay clear because of shoaling that isn't marked. Most folks over there are small boat fishing. There is a lot of natural fetch with the shallows thus things move season to season. I won't want to be in there if my GPS/chart plotter crapped out! Stay safe and run the northern main channel, it's well marked and monitored.

I can understand why you might want this route, I'm sure many men of sail met their end thinking the same thing hundreds of years ago in the same place. Can you imagine navigating this with only a compass or doing the eastern route to sea along Great Round Shoal beyond rip point. -A graveyard of New England.

Good luck.. PS.. will you have the ability to work this site during the trip? If so, you never know who might show up and say hi.

Steve

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Steve. Hope to do a little posting while on the cruise but will haev to see if the admiaral lets me... I would like to create a blog or website dedicated to this trip but I dont have a lot of time on my hands between, racing dinghys, cruising, 2 kids, oh yeah and that job thing...

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Local boy

Ted,
I grew up in Woods Hole Harbor, so I know the Elizabeth Islands like the back of my hand (I have hit ALL the rocks!)..
Contact me directly if you need any info.

Cheers,
S