Vibration in Mast

jkm

Member III
This weekend while anchored at Catalina we had fairly brisk winds.

During the night we felt the mast shudder. Very quick and brief but it happened many times over many nights.

Any ideas?

John

Glyn Judson

Mast vibration issue.

John, That's not too uncommon, my mast does the same thing and did so a few weeks ago when we were at the Isthmus. It doesn't take much on my mast to get it to hum. The wind died down so I didn't take preventative measures but next time that happens to you, try wrapping the main halyard around the mast in a spiral from below the spreaders, down. That seems to break up the wind enough to silence our mast and I learned that trick years ago from others who had it work on their masts. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
It also works on the E35 - Glyn recommended it to me years ago.

The more wraps, the better, so I got an old piece of thick nylon line, figuring it would ease chafe on the halyards.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

jkm

Member III
Thanks I'll try it.

We were at Two Harbors and were moored on the east side for the first time.

The venturi was fierce on that side versus the "Forth of July" side. I'll try it next time.

Thanks-it was really unsettling.

John

Glyn Judson

Mast harmonics.

John, We're typically on the west side right up against the wall on Bravo row and still get that effect. Like I said in my last post, we even hear in light air, usually in the still of the night. Or is there so much activity in the day time that it's still occuring but we just can't hear it? I'm sure that's the case. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA