Used spinnaker?

ChrisS

Member III
I'd like to add a symmetrical spinnaker to my sailing capabilities, and I see some used ones on the market that will fit. Do spinnakers lose their shape as drastically as mains and jibs, or is dropping $500 on a used sail worthwhile, versus a new one costing $2000? I will be using this for cruising, and casual racing.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Maybe, maybe not

As with any used anything, it all depends on how good the sail was to begin with, and how much it may have been used/abused. You could get very lucky and find one which "was only driven around town by my grandmother", or it will be thrashed.

Poke around-if you find one which is interesting, ask the questions:
1). Was it made by a major sailmaker (if so it will likely be better designed with better materials)?
2). How was it used and how often?

If it was heavily used, or raced a lot, it is probably not worth $100. If it was barely used and stored in a dry place, it may be well be a good deal.

Good luck and happy new year!:egrin:

SurabyaKid

Member III
Seth offers good advice about asking questions and looking at the sailmaker.

I have bought two used spinnakers off of EBay...symetrical and assymetrical for about $300 each. Both were in good shape, but not out of the bag new. My thinking in buying used was to to start with these to sort out the rigging & handling techniques and then move to newer sails rather than run a risk of damaging expensive new sails while sorting everything out.

Pat