Twist in mast

gadangit

Member III
I just spent some time tuning up the mast in the slip the last couple of days. The boat sat for a couple of months between sails and the rig seemed much looser than before. We also lost the metal piece that holds the shroud against the upper spreader while out sailing our shakedown last week (leeward side, so that shroud was loose) which made for some interesting moments. It resolved itself via dumb luck, certainly not my expert seamanship. Replacement piece installed.

Anyway. After sighting up the mast from every angle possible and also taking some very close sightings from the dock, I am pretty sure the mast is twisted. Anybody ever experience this?

We have spartite in the mast collar.

I'm going to see if I can twist the mast with my lowers this weekend. Unless someone starts yelling at me to stop.

Chris

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Chris,
Is the mast still twisted when you undo all the shrouds, or does it get twisted when you tension the shrouds to tune the rig? Is it twisted if you sight up the sail track?
If in doubt, I would loosen all the turnbuckles so all the shrouds are slack but still holding the mast up and check for mast twist. If you see it then, with all tension off, I would ask for an opinion from a rigger. If it looks straight when shrouds are loose, I would start to tune the rig very slowly with regular checks to see when the mast starts to twist. Hopefully with careful tuning it will stay straight.
Good luck!
Frank

Last edited:

gadangit

Member III
Good advice, thanks Frank. We had a regatta on Saturday and didn't get a chance to uncouple V1s and the lowers, I hope to do that this week prior to the weekend Icicle.

The mast stayed in column and looked good while sailing, I think I have just a couple minor tweaks to do when we are not racing. We have discontinuous rigging, so adjusting V2 and D2 requires a hoist.

Chris

Guy Stevens

Yes

It is possible that it is twisted. I have seen it from new, I have seen it happen from people having the mast tuned incorrectly for a few years and take a set. (Aluminum even!).

Release everything and see what you see.

Take some photos directly up the forward and aft end and post them.

Guy
:)