Trouble Removing Edson Steering Wheel

cworley

Hello - New Ericson 27 owner, hoping to refinish the steering wheel, but can't get it off. Anyone have any suggestions? Was able to remove washer, nut, and tension bolt. It has a key, so not sure if the key has to be removed or the wheel will slide off, with some force and anti-corrosion spray. Thanks in advance.
IMG_8809.jpgIMG_8808.jpg

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Try PB blaster available at auto stores. Let soak a day or two. the wheel should break loose. Reinstall with waterproof grease. Should slide off after that.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Like Bob said, but you may have to repeat the process several times over several days. Also, tap both parts 10-20 times with a light hammer after spraying with PBblaster. You're not trying to knock the parts loose at this point, just set up vibrations to help the oil soak into/past the corrosion. If that doesn't work try heating the wheel hub with a torch before/after/between spraying. Given long enough, the PBbLaster will soak in and loosen the parts. It took me a week to get my exhaust manifold and riser apart this way.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm not familiar with this sort of wheel on a 27, but let's say it was stock Edson and the hold-on nut assembly, now removed, made obvious sense when you took it off. Also, there really is a key in the keyway, and the wheel is not held on in some non-standard way.

So, I would make a "prop puller" out of three big C-clamps pulling against pieces of strategic 2x4s.

It is easier than pounding with a hammer because the prop puller pulls against itself, and the principle of the threaded screw is powerful.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Sometimes Harbor Freight comes in handy - this worked for me and was priced right for a one-time use tool, although I have no doubt it will last a long time. My pedestal is not an Edson though, it is a Merriman.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-three-jaw-gear-puller-69224.html

...Some may shudder when hearing the words "Harbor Freight" but my son as an excellent adage for them "If using the tool won't kill you - GO FOR IT!"

He's correct as their cheaper prices often will let you replace the more expensive ones more than once.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
This is not a stock wheel. Someone wanted to have the boat look "Yachty". The dissimilar materials on the shaft and wheel are causing the problem. The wheel does look a little small for the boat. The wheel should be removed and re-greased every 6 months or so. It would be tempting to re-convert the wheel to a tiller.

cworley

Thanks! PB Blaster is gold!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. As predicted the PB blaster worked, only had to give it 2 squirts and let sit for 2 hrs, popped right off. Now I have try and sand, recondition the wood on the wheel. It has a stainless steel round pipe around the wooden wheel. I like the look, but it is in rough shape. The previous owner kept the tiller in working order, so could remover the pedestal if needed. I like the steering wheel, but good to have an emergency back up tiller if needed. There is a wooden tiller in the hold.

Anyone have any ideas on best way to strip the lacquer, sand and fix the swollen joints of the wheel? I will post a new thread and see if anyone has done this before.

Thanks again - Chuck