Transom vs gunwale ladders

csoule13

Member III
I asked this on my usual owner forum, and didn't receive a satisfactory answer. Figured the hive mind here might be able to take a whack at this.

I'm looking to add a swim ladder to my non-Ericson boat. The family's E30+ has a transom mounted ladder that's fine. Would be better with another rung. In the searching options, I admit the gunwale ladders have caught my eye. They seem to be available with more steps, and they would negate having to find a good spot on the transom. Current boat only has a rope ladder with wooden steps. Learned the hard way the realities of those. Nothing like needing your crew to half winch you back on to your own boat like a mahi.

Any first hand experience here, or recommendations for either types of ladders?

Thx,
Chris

gadangit

Member III
There was no space on our transom for a ladder, so I got a Mystic Stainless ladder that is attached to the toe rail track. Works great! In a rough anchorage getting on midships is a bit easier than on a heaving transom.
Chris

csoule13

Member III
Christian, thx for the links. It's always nice to see someone have a positive experience with the product under consideration.

steven

Sustaining Member
In addition to the other threads.

I considered this pretty carefully and opted for the Mystic mounted on the toerail track. Very happy with it.
However, two issues to be aware of.

The climber will grab the stanchion(s) for support and heave themselves onto the boat. You cannot stop this becuase it is natural to expect that that is what the stanchion is for. Consider strengthening the stanchion deck fastening. Not a bad idea anyway. I only have a stanchion on one side of the ladder but it is on my list to add one to the other side. A pair of stanchions also means you only have to open a gate instead of relaxing the entire lifeline.

If the hull has much flare (the edge of the deck is outboard of the waterline) the long-ish standoff legs are awkward. If there are steps below the waterline (strongly recommended), without long enough standoffs the ladder bottom steps will swing under the hull so the climber is leaning over backwards. I replaced the standoffs with a horizontal fender. This also avoids the possibility of the hull being scratched by feet of the standoff (which have rubber end caps that have to be replaced often).

One other thing, make sure the ladder is strapped well when in folded position. Mine came loose once and deployed itself, unpleasantly.

Had a stern ladder on my prior boat (a 27').
In my opinion the midships mounting is better.

--Steve

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I had a folding plastic ladder amidships on my old E27. Clipped into brackets on behind the toe rail and had two fold down standoff legs to keep it off the hull. Worked great as we regularly used the sailboat for a dive boat. Just left lines dangling off the stern cleats to clip your weightbelts and tanks onto before you boarded, then pulled the gear in afterwards. Don't know brand or anything since it came with the boat so probably 70's or 80's vintage. But it also folded up side to side so easily stored in the quarter berth in a nice compact package. Wish I had a picture of it to send. The real thing with boarding ladders is you need one that goes at least 2 feet below the waterline. Real hard to exit the water when the first step is at eye level.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy