Transmission Shift Problem

jgarmin098

Member II
My Hurth transmission on a 1988 E-32-3 with Universal 25XP is acting strangely when shifting into forward. After the engine and transmission are warm, when I shift into forward the transmission will seem to jump into and out of gear repeatedly. The frequency is on the order of once or twice per second. Of course, the problem is intermittent. If I advance the throttle above idle while it acting up, the transmission stays in gear and operates normally.

The shift cable is a bit sticky going into forward and the transmission seems to come out of forward when pull the shift level back only part of the way to neutral.

Any Ideas?

clayton

Member III
Have you checked the cable connection inside the pedestal? Last year I was having problems going into reverse, and when I checked the cable/clevis pin connection, the threaded end of the cable was literally hanging on by a thread. If you search on "E32-200 Shift Cable" you'll find a link to a site to buy cables inexpensively. Good luck!
Clayton

Shadowfax

Member III
Yeah, sounds like linkage or cables to me. Try moving the shifting arm at the transmission itself and see if it still jumps out of gear. Sounds like it is not going completely into gear

jgarmin098

Member II
Follow up:

I changed the transmission fluid this past weekend. That was a shocker. It was black. The was quite a lot of black material that settled outof the fluid too.

I had a diesel mechanic look at the fluid and operate the transmission. He is convinced that the clutch is failing. Judging by that nasty looking ATF, I tend to believe him. He said I might be able to nurse it through to the end of the season but couldn't say for sure.

Next question: Do I allow the mechanic to pull the tranny and repair as necessary or do I buy a factory remanufactured version ($800) and have the mechanic change it out?

As always, your opinions are appreciated.

newgringo

Member III
Been There Done That!

Hello jgarmin98,
Well I have been there and done that with my E32-3. Long story made short. Don't even think about a rebuilding or installing a rebuilt transmission. My M25 has the next larger Hurth ZF10-M and the cost for a brand new transmission was $970. The cost for the standard M25 tranny, which is a ZF5 should be a little less. R&R is not easy so expect a few hundred $ for that, although I changed my own.
Now some gory details. I spent $500 in parts rebuilding my first ZF10-M which worked really good for about 50 hours then encountered shifting problems (not linkage!). I used the factory overhaul manual and set it up exactly by the book (bearing end play, clutch stackup etc). The place I bought the parts said they do not attempt overhauls and commented they did not have faith in the "professional" rebuilders either. They recommended I but new, advice which I ignored. As mentioned above I did end up buying a new ZF10-M.
If you have a mind to change your own it is very doable. As I said, not easy. The engine probably has to be raised up. I can email info on how I did it, twice.

newgringo

Member III
That is what I, for one, am saying. The cost differential is small considering the labor to R&R. The marine shop (a large reputable shop here is Seattle) made that recommendation which I now agree with. But, I know of those who have repaired their own Hurths and others who have had success with rebuilts too. So, as I said, my opinion.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I bought a new Hurth for my boat for about $1200. I still have my core and will rebuild the old one as a spare.

jgarmin098

Member II
I've decided to go with a new unit and a professional install. So, that's $1,500 for the tranny, $130 for the damper plate, $YIKES for the labor to change it out.