tools and tips.. new seacocks?!

briangsmith

Member II
ok, she passed a marine survey- tho he agreed with me that
a couple of those old gate valves were pretty frozen and 'pitted'-
i may get off easy and just have to replace these 3 valves with
bronze seacocks- (not have to re-do the through hulls?)
anyhow, trailering her out this weekend and will see..

so, the question is- can somebody who has done this tell me
basically what tools i will need - in addition to a plumber's
wrench?? - to remove the old gate valves and install
new seacocks??

any and all tips appreciated-
thanks all,

brian smith
homer, alaska

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
There is a special tool for holding the through hull to prevent it from turning, or sometimes you can improvise to grip the prongs. If the through hull turns at all, take it out and reseal it (might not be a bad idea to do that anyway). Other than that you will just need the large pipe wrench to take off the old parts.
If you are replacing the hose, you may find it is easier to cut the old one off the tailpiece than pull it off, for which any large disposable blade will work (such as $2 box cutter).
For the backing block for the sea cock, you will need to cut plywood to the right size, many options on how to do that.
To fit the sea cock to the through hull, you may need to cut down the through hull threads - take it to a machine shop if you do not own the tools.

If you have not done this before, I would recommend finding a professional to work with you, to make sure it goes right.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

jmoses

Member III
Taking out gate valves

A sawz-all worked wonders on my cheezy ball valves......It sliced through them in about 2 minutes each, then I banged the old thru-hull fittings out with a soft blow hammer.....just be careful not to slice through the boat skin with the sawz-all as I saw one knuckle head do it at a yard in Baltimore.

I was watching a guy cut out his exhuast pipe fittings and suddenly saw a sawz-all blade come slicing through the skin of the boat......talk about an OH SH*T! moment!

I ran up the ladder and by the time I had him stop the sawz-Aall, he had a good 6" gash through the side of the boat.....at least he was laughing about it....more than I was anyway....but kinda funny just the same as he had a good sense of humor about it.

Keep in mind almost all thru-hull fittings (or mushroom heads) are straight threads and WILL not tighten down on pipe threads (or NPT fittings = National Pipe Threads). This is a common error I see on many installs. You must match the straight threaded thru-hull fitting with the same straight threaded sea cock.

And speaking of gate valves, I'd take ALL of them off the boat as they have a high failure rate and highly prone to seizing (closed usually) as all too often they are Home Depot Chinese Brass/bronze with tons of impurities in them with steel shafts and pot metal handles.....talk about a battery!

I concur with Gareth, this issue is a critical one and can mean the difference between keeping a boat aflaot and sinking like a rock. If unsure on the process, have a knowledgable person show you the ropes and guide you along so by the end you're doing it yourself.

John M.

JORGE

Member III
some info found, from Sailnet resource "article"

I removed a few the way he explains(below). Also, have used a Sawsall (reciprocating saw) to cut off a gate valve handle, which was sideways. If the thru hull turns around in its spot, then it will need to be rebedded.
reference also: Don caseys book, " sailboat hull and deck repair" page 27 for illustrations.

I would use bronze ball valves for in-line feeds, where stresses are less, and seacocks ( with flange)if mounted to the hull bottom with support blocks and polysulfide.

Article....Removing Thru-Hull Fittings

...... What is the best way to remove or plug the thru-hull fittings that connect to the head?

Dan Dickison responds:

Once the boat is on terra firma, just dismantle the head and take it out.

Start by removing the hoses from the inlet and the outflow, and then unbolt the base of the commode from the cabin sole. After that you can break down the thru hulls and begin removing them from the hull. Once you have the seacocks or valves removed, the project may become a two-person job. If the nut that seats over the thru hull and fastens it to the hull is stubborn—and it's likely to be—you can always try positioning someone outside the hull with a flat file and a crescent wrench. Have them insert the flat file securely into the thru hull and then clamp the crescent wrench around the exposed portion of the file. Now you can begin to torque on the nut from the inside with a large wrench, probably a plumber's monkey wrench. If the nut or the threads are at all corroded or the threads on the shaft are galled, you may have to cut the thru hull out with a hacksaw.

Once you have all of the old parts removed and you're staring at two holes in the hull, you can begin to prep the holes for patching. Working on the inside of the hull, grind down the area around the holes so that you remove all the paint and expose the fiberglass. Don't grind too far, just enough so that your new glass and resin will adhere well to the existing material. Clean the area around the holes thoroughly with a clean rag and some acetone. You can then cut up pieces of chopped strand mat and fiberglass cloth in graduating sizes. Mix up resin and catalyst and wet out the fiberglass pieces that you have cut up and begin by applying them—the smallest pieces first—over each hole. You'll want to build up a pretty good thickness, roughly the same as the original thickness of the hull. Once the resin catalyzes, you'll have a fairly firm area to patch from the outside with resin mixed with a filler.

For additional security, you might want to grind a small area around the holes on the outside in a conical fashion and fill that with resinated mat as well. However, make sure that you leave a slight depression so that you can later fill that with resin that is mixed with an easily sanded filler like microballoons or cabosil. Afterward, you can sand the outside surface smooth and then coat it first with catalyzed resin or a primer for resistance to water penetration, and later with bottom paint.

All of this is well described in Don Casey's bible on maintenance entitled This Old Boat. Here's hoping that this information helps you in your project.

briangsmith

Member II
E-25 size fittings???

thanks all- very, very informative and helpful~
so, looks like all i need to replace are the two head
valves- these look like maybe 3/4" for one, and 1 1/2"
on the other?? would this be right for stock E-25 head
gate valves? also the (what i'm assuming is for-) sink
outlet- under the sink- again, 3/4"?? (pretty tough to
measure inside diameter until i pull them out of there-
it's a 4 1/2 hour drive to the boat- west marine of
course is here, in the 'big town' of anchorage.. hoping to
buy valves, hose, etc. before i head down this weekend!)

bgs

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Wow - that is a long way to go for parts. I suggest you buy new through hulls, tail pieces and sea cocks, as there is a fair chance that you will need them once you take things apart. If not, I am sure WM will take them back.

I include tailpieces as it is best to do all the twisting at once - I forgot to mention that it is impossible to do the job by yourself, as an extra pair of hands needs to be gripping the through hull outside the boat.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972