Thru Hull Location and Function

jthistle

Member II
I'm in the middle of an overwhelming renovation to a 1972 E35-2 #268. In the process of building a battery box to be located just forward of the nav station under the port settee. rewiring and movingt the electrical panel outboard of the nav station - there is a thru-hull almost under the nav table, aft and port of the engine (Mid-hull engine).

My question is..what was this thru-hull originally used for? My boat has been repowered and I'm thinking that this was the original raw-water intake? I'll try to get some pics next time I'm out. I've removed the old gate valve and thru hull. I'm going to patch the hole if I can't think of any reason to put another valve on it...

Can anyone with the original configeration solve my mystery?

Cheers
Jason

jthistle

Member II
ball valves and hose disaster

Here are some snaps of the refit of old scupper hoses. I'm still wondering what the other gate valve was for... any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 59

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I have no through hull in that location, the raw water intake is on the starboard side.

There is nothing obvious to mount in that part of the boat, except maybe an intake for water cooled air conditioning; so I can not think what it might have been for.

Either way, if you have no use for it, get rid of it.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

jthistle

Member II
Filling the hole....

Thanks Gareth... I'm goin to fill that one and install the batteries in a box in that location. The boat had a sink over the engine when I bought it. Strange layout. The thru hull was used for a sink drain - I thought it may have had another function.

all the best

jason
E35-2 #268