Throttle lock

windydays

Hello to all:
We have replaced the throttle cable (morse 33c) in our Yacht Specialties pedestal steering and now it works so well we need to find a way to lock it at a given setting. Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks
Bob H
E30 II 1979 hull #47 :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It seems to be common practice to have a small clamp on the outside of the cable cover down close to the engine to allow you to put just a "calculated little bit" of friction on that cable to keep the trottle return spring from slowly decreasing the speed you have set. What with the vibration of the engine, it can slow down on its own, otherwise.
At least it was this way on our boat and others I have seen.
Loren
(not a mechanic and does not portray one on tv)

Glyn Judson

Cable Lock.

Bob, Welcome to the list. Morse makes a great little cable lock for just this purpose. It's their part number 44386 and should be available from the folks who you got your cable from. If you have trouble locating one, I know the guys and gal at the Ships Store here in Marina del Rey keep several of them in stock, because that's where I got mine. You can reach them by phone at 310.823.5574 and they will ship. The clamp goes on the body of the cable in any convenient location along its length and can be fine tuned to offer just the right amount of compression to keep your throttle from creeping ever again. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

windydays

Cable lock

I found a friction clamp/lock from the same company I bought the cable. Good advice and many thanks to Loren and Glyn.
Bob H Windydays e30-2 #47