Three most useful sailing books

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have owned, borrowed, bought and sold many sailing books over the years. These three books are the ones I have found among the most useful, and re read from time to time. I like books that are clear, concise, informative and helpful.
Frank

Attachments

• 20220326_141143.jpg
    20220326_141143.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220326_141118.jpg
    20220326_141118.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220326_141210.jpg
    20220326_141210.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 21

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good choices. I much appreciated Andrew Evans (Singlehanded Sailing) which was the best and pretty much only source at the time. I have a similar diesel troubleshooting book, too, which seems necessary for everybody. But nowadays I feel that sail trim is better demonstrated in YouTube vids (often by sailmakers), it doesn't profit as much described in narrative.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yes, if I had to choose one book to keep aboard, that would be it. I did read it cover to cover 15 years ago when we bought our current boat, with lots of underlined areas and notes to myself, and I still refer to it for some repairs. But now I'm a bit old to read it cover to cover - - I'd fall asleep before finishing the first chapter. :)
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More praise for Nigel Calder ("Boatowners' Mechanical and Electrical Manual"). When something breaks, it is the handiest source, and he covers nearly everything in one volume. It's like having an extra crew.

And a correction, because in this brief clip I miscredited the book to Donald Street. YouTube doesn't permit changes once the video is up.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Not concise, not intuitively organized (to me) but I found it a goldmine of useful information nonetheless:

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
What, no love for U.S. Chart No.1; Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook; or the annual Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book? (I swear, the only books I've read the last three years are all about sailing. And there are SO many.)

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Kenneth K, It’s heartening to read that I have many of the books listed in this thread on board……except for these three. That’s probably because the drink of choice on our boat is Chardonnay for the wife and beer or vodka on the rocks (no twist) for me, all after the anchor is down or the dock lines are tied. There are no blenders on board. The other book because I sometimes take the grand kids out for a sail and they love to route around the cabin to see what grandpa has stowed away. The last book because I’m married and at an age where these girls all remind me of my daughters but they usually are wearing more clothes.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The other book because I sometimes take the grand kids out for a sail and they love to route around the cabin to see what grandpa has stowed away.
Might as well acquire the whole collection of Arthur Ransome's "Swallows and Amazons" books for them to enjoy. You will enjoy them too, if you have not already.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I agree that the Toss book contains some valuable nuggets that can difficult to unearth, but is sometimes more frustrating than helpful ("Do this in the usual way..."). Sort of a companion volume:
After a Carol Hasse seminar, during which she dropped all sorts of pithy information, I asked her, "What if we can't take you along with us... is there a book?" She recommended this. I'll admit I haven't done more than skim it, to date. I got the Kindle edition, as shelf space on the boat is limited.
51uur-09FVL.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I suppose someone should point out that we already have a number of book threads. They grow for a while, then get forgotten. I wonder if they need their own forum home?

and more...

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Sailing a Serious Ocean - John Kretschmer - Great stories and a ton of valuable information in a really easy to read format. It's kind of strange how it's all put together with in depth boat design mixed with stories, but it makes it really engaging. John seems like a good guy to have a beer with.

serious ocean.jpg

The complete Rigger's Apprentice - Brion Toss - What else can you say that hasn't been said already about this book? After missing Brion every time I stopped at Port Townsend, I was finally able to stop by his shop a few years ago. It was obvious he was going through some serious health issues, but the shop was in great spirits. Family was there, kids were playing, a few people were sitting around talking about all things sailing and rigging, it was everything I had expected after reading a few of his books and listening to some podcasts he's appeared on. Of all things, we ended up talking about tube amps. I was so impressed with how open and inviting everyone in the shop was.

Riggers.jpg

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual - Nigel Calder - If you don't feel like going down the youtube / internet rabbit hole to find a solution to whatever mechanical or electrical problem you're having, this has been my go to book.
Calder.jpg

Pleasure Boating Sail and Power - This one's a bit of a weird one because it doesn't have that much detailed info, but it's important to me because it's been in my book shelf from when I was a little kid. I don't remember getting it, it was just always there. I've read it cover to cover multiple times growing up and have found myself picking it up randomly and thumbing through the pages. A few years ago after my dad passed away, I picked it up and noticed an inscription inside the cover that I never noticed before.

20161225_205057.jpg

Note.jpg