Thought on spinnaker pole lift?

LameBMX

Member II
Hi All.

I'm am looking to add a spinnaker pole (and tender) lift on my mast. My current thoughts are installing a mast exit plate down low and symmetric with the other side, for a total of four exit plates. The planned lift would exit via a mast exit block below the jib halyard. looking at various other boats I didn't notice a trend for location.

1000003659.jpg

Option 1) from what I have gathered best to poke holes in the mast a foot away from other holes. Marked in purple pretty much ignores that. It is right by the extra beefy OE jib exit block. Which is right by some reinforced shroud holes. right below the jib exit block are the mounting holes for rolling furler fairlead. sharing the top two mounting holes for the exit block with the fairlead should put this general purpose lift at a usable and less binding location for a back-up jib halyard. Of course this does add another hole to the Swiss cheese in that area.

Option 2) Marked in red. at least a foot from any other hole. Could even drop lower to save a few feet of line. Spinnaker halyard can be used as backup jib halyard.

Any other thoughts I'm missing? Weird PHRF rule that a spin lift must be I - 3P below forestay connection. Anything else lol?

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I would probably want it at the higher location, but that might be just a preference--seems like it would give you some more leverage in raising the pole under tension. There is a problem with internal spinnaker lifts and halyards that does not have an easy solution (unless someone here has one). Where the sheaves exit there can be a lot of chafe. I have the halyards and lifts on my Tartan all outside of the mast and run through an external blocks on the mast (lift) and off a crane at the mast head (halyard); this eliminates chafe and friction, but gives you the problem of securing the lines off the mast every time you put the boat away. On my Ericson, both are internal and I am just monitoring the chafe and will replace the lines when they are bad enough---I am not actively racing. I much prefer having external halyards and lifts because there is so much less friction when launching and adjusting spinnaker gear underway. On the Ericson I have to move the exposed ends of my lift and halyard away from the mast when I put things away anyway, so stowing the rest of the external lines is not a big deal. I guess, on the whole, I prefer to not run lift or halyard through the mast. But it is a matter of personal preference. You could start with externals and move them internally later--If you have room at the mast head to put a crane and block.

LameBMX

Member II
I would probably want it at the higher location, but that might be just a preference--seems like it would give you some more leverage in raising the pole under tension. .... There is a problem with internal spinnaker lifts and halyards that does not have an easy solution (unless someone here has one). Where the sheaves exit there can be a lot of chafe. .... You could start with externals and move them internally later--If you have room at the mast head to put a crane and block.

she is a fractional rig. though there is a good point about chafe, as my jib halyard has an exposed sheave pin, meaning it would exit closer to the mast wall and rub worse on a mast exit block. I do only hoist the furler once a season, but that is some serious food for thought. I wanted to avoid the potential noise of an external block and lift aloft. though, maybe a few seasons of testing would be good... two Lil holes and if it works a big square (rounded of course) in the mast at that spot.

above the jib is the spin halyard which is a pain due to trying to wrap around the forestay. I've been using it to hoist the tender on deck, but it rubs on the combo jib halyard forstay mount in the pic.

maybe lower would be more feasible. the jib halyard will have more space to move from front of mast to side of mast towards its exit block. maybe that will reduce or eliminate any internal chafe.

appreciate the thoughts, even of its just more things to think about.